OK I'm a sayin' it HARBOR FREIGHT!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Txjaybird

Reaction score
Right now I just need something I can use in the Aliner to charge things like my rechargeable flash/spot light, portable DVD player that uses batteries or 110 & maybe a lamp of some kind.   Harbor Freight has a 13watt solar briefcase with various chargeing cords on sale and with a coupon it would only be $60 which is in my price range.  I also intend to get a solar LED security light because of the following incident early this week. So is this a good idea or not?

I was intending to spend a nite occassionly in the Aliner to test out my Bookdocking capability.  However earlier this week about 8pm at the storage facility I looked up from the dumpster and a car with no lights was sitting facing me.  Talk about stealth I never heard it coming!  Then I pulled way around it and over by the Aliner.   It moved down to the dumpster and stopped where the occupants could see me go to The Aliner, I did a quick run in  and locked the trailer up.  When I came back out the car had turned around and was once again sitting where I could be watched.  I left and looked towards the dumpster from the street and the car was gone.  This creeped me out as I never saw or heard it move and the lights were never on. 

I went to the truck stop and called the police and asked for a officer to come speak to me about this.  Going home I passed the storage facility, the LEO drove by the storage slowly and turned around I noticed that the same car was now parked facing the row at another one of the buildings.  

I'm told that the police never notified the property owner and also after I made sure the manager knew what happened they never contacted the police.  This is  coded entry access after 5pm Mon. thru Fri. and on weekends and Holidays.  If this was  another customer there that needed to sleep in their car I'm OK with that.  I  feel like I'm getting the run around and I need to know what the situation there is so I can plan my time there accordingly.

I had hoped to never rent another apt or house, now I'm thinking of looking at moving so I can have a fenced yard for the Aliner and Queenie.  

Also  I will  get a CCP as it's been years now that I've been unarmed.  My right hand is the weakest due to arthritis, carpal tunnel, and other nerve damage.  If anyone here has suggestions about what type of weapon I need to look for please PM me.  I'm not totaly unskilled it's just growing up Papa always picked out our guns and I married at 17ys old a much older fellow and we had a stocked gun room with reloading equipment etc.  He was the BOSS so I've never purchased a weapon by myself before and I worry about the right one and getting a fair price too.  I'm thinking a hand gun, a shotgun. and a 22LR should cover any situation, I HOPE!   To quote Sly Stalones charecter's response to "What was that?"   and he said " Huge Black Dude In A Boat" What was that weapon  the guy in the boat was firing in Expendables III ? 
 I liked it :D

Well back to work,...........Everyone have a good week end

Jewellann

I sold guns at a Gander Mountain store for a number of years and ended up advising quite a few new buyers, both male and female.

If you had a favorite handgun that you were comfortable shooting from the days you had access to a fully stocked gun room, I would look into acquiring one of those, as long as it was of adequate power, say minimum .380.  .38 or 9mm would be better, especially Plus-P.

If not, we used to have a lot of ex-police .38 revolvers in our used gun case, mostly S&W but sometimes Colt, and they were always a very good buy.  Provided they fit your hand comfortably and you could reach the trigger easily.

For shotguns, you can't go wrong with a Mossberg or Remington.  If you found 12 gauge to be a bit uncomfortable, 20 gauge is adequate for self defense.  After all, a 20 gauge rifles slug has TWICE the energy of a .44 magnum.

For a .22, I'm partial to Ruger myself, but Savage builds very nice guns and I think they are still a little less money.

Happy to consult further, if you like.

Jewellann, could that be night security and the owners don't want anyone to know that? For some odd reason...unless they are trying to catch some building burglars.

I think going with a .380 is a good choice. I think the small .38 revolvers have an awful recoil, especially if you have some arthritis issues. I have a S&W bodyguard in .380 with built in laser and it's a fine little gun. I think Optimistic's advice of going with a 20ga over 12 is spot on as well as going with a ruger for a .22. The Ruger 10/22 is in my opinion one of the finest firearms ever made. If I could only have one firearm it would be a toss up between a Ruger 10/22 or Remington 870

So my recommendations would be

Ruger 10/22
Remington 870 in 20 ga. With a shorter barrel for self defense. (check your local laws on what's allowed)
and a .380 that feels comfortable in your hand.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
. . .

If you had a favorite handgun that you were comfortable shooting from the days you had access to a fully stocked gun room, I would look into acquiring one of those, as long as it was of adequate power, say minimum .380.  .38 or 9mm would be better, especially Plus-P.

Optimistic Paranoid gave you good advice.  I would add a couple of things:

• a handgun should shoot where you point it.  Some guns will point naturally in your hand and some won't.
  • a handgun should be sized for your hand and feel comfortable.  A good gun shop should be able to help you there.
  • unless you are going to spend some time learning the handgun a revolver has less stuff you have to learn than a pistol (semi-automatic).
  • hand weakness is harder to advise.  A pistol is harder to load (racking the slide to chamber a round).  A revolver has a heavier trigger pull.  A pistol has most of its weight centered in your hand, a revolver has more weight cantilevered in front of your hand.  You just have to try them to see what works for you.
  • Even if you have used guns before, take a gun safety class.  They will teach you how to safely handle you weapon; the good ones will teach you a lot of other things about caring for your gun.
Every Road Leads Home said:
I think going with a .380 is a good choice.  I think the small .38 revolvers have an awful recoil, especially if you have some arthritis issues.  I have a S&W bodyguard in .380 with built in laser and it's a fine little gun.

That depends on the gun.  My .380 (Ruger LCP) is harder on my hands than a friends .38 revolver (Ruger SP 101).  It has more to do with grip size and gun weight.

As for shotgun: 20 gauge has less recoil and almost as much punch as 12 gauge.  Used 12 gauge guns are easier to find.  You definitely want the shorter barrel (18.5").

A 22LR handgun in the form factor of your 'big' gun (revolver or pistol) would be cheaper to practice with.

-- Spiff

I was looking at your link HDR, seems I can't find anything related to Solar so... What am I looking at?
They sell the stuff for wood rot, but nothing solar that I can find.
Sharon

The wrong link. He will fix that when he is back. meantime go on Amazon and look up Renogy Solar

If considering the Ruger .22 auto pisto, I'd suggest the new Mk.IV, as the Mks I through III are a real bear to strip and reassemble for cleaning. Mk. IV has a new take-down lever.
Personally, I'd go with a good revolver instead. Easy to clean, very reliable, not as picky on different ammo.

I have a folding solar charger from Amazon. Back then HF had nothing similar. Comes in handy at times.

The best self defense gun is one that you can shoot well. Get one that is too powerful and you will never practice with it, and it will punish you when you do. I would go with a revolver, one made of steel. .22lr in an 8 shot or a 38 special. Some say the .22 is too small, but putting 8 of them into somebody can be enough to kill them 8 times over. With the 38 you can get what are called cowboy loads, (very mild). These are made for cowboy speed shooting competition where they just shoot balloons, so they are not high powered. If your wrists can handle more, you can get high powered rounds as well, (called +P). Most 380 semi automatics are so small that they are real snappy, (hard on the wrists). Semi autos have a slide that needs to be racked and this may be hard for you as well. Most gun events end in less than 5 shots, so don't worry that a revolver won't have enough ammo. Sometimes I carry a 5 shot Ruger sp101. It is a heavy beast, but that makes it into a low recoil shooter. The Ruger SP101 is strong enough to shoot .357 magnums, but in a 357 gun you can also fire 38 specials. That is what I do, I use the 38 special +p in it.

One thing I need to say, just because somebody frightens you, shooting them is for when they are actually trying to harm you. You need to be in fear of your own life, not someone is suspicious.

highdesertranger said:
Jewellann Harbor Freight solar panels kits have a poor reputation.  Renogy is having a sale at this time,  take a look at what they have,  https://www.systemthree.com/collections/rot-repair .  they have similar set ups for about the same price.  much better quality imo.  highdesertranger
:huh:  Listen You,  I may have a rotten attitude at times, however I hope I'm far from needing  a rot repair kit! 

:D  I will check Amazon/Renogy out.. When I see/hear "sale plus 20% coupon" I get a little dizzy.

Jewellann

DannyB1954 said:  "The best self defense gun is one that you can shoot well. Get one that is too powerful and you will never practice with it, and it will punish you when you do."
This should be rule #1 of concealed carry weapons.  There's nothing wrong with a .22 if it means you will actually will carry it and practice with it. Auto or revolver is up to you.  
 You will be more accurate with it and it makes more than enough noise and does enough damage to do the trick. It won't blow a tremendous hole in someone or throw them to the ground, but they sure won't hang around and ask for another.
Just my .02
-Bill-

'

Thank you everyone for your input.

re:: guns........I grew up with a Daisy BB gun.   A 22 single shot rifle which in the '70s I learned that the barrel was too short to be legal.  Also Papa had a Iver Johnson 38, 5 shot revolver with a warped chamber.  A person really had to pay attention while loading that rascal.  As a young wife  I used a 410 single shot shotgun, and a 357 Black Hawk.  The only time I was forced to use a 22 automatic pistol I shot a hole in the dining room ceiling.  That's not so bad.  My first sister-in-law had some kind of unvoiced one up manship going with me.  So within 2 weeks she took out most of her living room ceiling with a shotgun.

I may have to learn to shoot left handed as on some days like today I can't fully grip with my trigger and middle fingers on my right hand or even close it and grip tightly.  I'd lose a fist fight as I'd only have one functioning  fist.

I did learn that one of the local gun ranges has a ladies day with range time being 1/2 price and that I can rent a weapon to shoot.  I'm hoping that since I'm not just looking that I can test fire a few until I find something I can handle easily.  Also I will take a safety course as well.

re:  solar    A few months back someone here gave me info on a portable Renogy suitcase system including what to buy to get it functioning.  Right now I'm looking for something that doesn't cost a lot because I'm not comfortable leaving too much at the Aliner and it needs to be idiot proof too.

I'm still not sure of the difference between an inverter and a converter and a controller.  I do know that the Aliner has a battery that is suppose to charge when the trailer is plugged up to an elec. outlet and also charges from the tow vehicle when the right plug is on the vehicle.  I'm paying $20 month for elec to keep the battery topped off.  I need to study my owners manual some more.

Thanks Again

Jewellann

DannyB1954 said:
One thing I need to say, just because somebody frightens you, shooting them is for when they are actually trying to harm you. You need to be in fear of your own life, not someone is suspicious.
 These are very true words.  No matter what some a hole is saying or doing unless he/she is trying to harm me or mine they can walk away, if they have any sense.  I will not allow myself to be snatched up or pushed around without a fight in which I will attempt to do as much damage as I can,  since I'm already so banged up the bad guys ought to spot me few shots. :D 

Jewellann

An inverter changes battery power to wall outlet power.
A converter changes wall outlet power to battery power.
(that's what charges your battery and runs your lights when you are plugged into wall outlet power)
A controller is what uses your solar panel output to properly charge your battery(ies)

Inverter - plugs into 12VDC battery and makes 115VAC power. Make sure it has enough wattage to run what you need to run.
Converter - plugs into 115VAC shore power and makes 12VDC, to charge 12VDC batteries. Also provides power for 12VDC gadgets.
Charger - plugs into 115VAC and makes 12VDC to charge batteries. Many types, from tiny "maintainers" to keep batteries topped off, to big "smart" types you can program.

That's the basics.

I have been around guns all My life(just for context).

If you not a enthusiast and only looking for self defense I would suggest a revolver in .38. Simple and easy to point and shoot.
Very little maintenance needed and mechanically easy to understand and that aspect is important for a non-enthusiast.
I would also suggest finding a gun range that will offer you a class to help you understand the platform of your choosing and how it operates, and the laws surrounding self defense in the state you are in. Good Luck!