Honda Fit or Honda Odyssey?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueskies

Reaction score
Specifically, Honda Fit 2006 or Honda Odyssey 2015/16?

I have to move into a vehicle because of the housing crisis. So either way I will be letting some possessions go (although I don’t own much anyway!)

I currently own a Honda Fit 2006. I’m 5’1 so can fit with the top of my head touching the back of the drivers seat and my feet touching the back of the trunk without moving the driver’s seat much at all (which means I can still use it for some storage while using the sleeping area). My dog’s crate would be taking up the other half of the cargo area, with some space behind it probably for an ice box. I would also have a roof rack for storage of some light items, and use a tent sometimes instead for sleeping.

I would have to let go of a lot more things, obviously, living in the Fit. But I wouldn’t be in debt because I already own the Fit.

My other choice is to buy a second hand Honda CR-V or Honda Odyssey (I can see some 2015 and 2016s that look like what I would want). But then I would have to pay it for the next few years. But I could keep more stuff and carry more stuff like extra food/water.

What are the pros and cons? Obviously I’ve through a lot about it already.

Does anyone know much about the Odysseys of 2015/16?

Does anyone know about their ground clearance and the Fit ground clearance? I’m getting conflicting info online.

I like that both are low enough and small enough to be stealthy if I need to and also to be able to park in undercover parking lots (eg. during bad storms, if I happen to be near one).

I like my Fit because I know it’s reliable.
A new to me vehicle would be a risk but could be great, but I’d be in debt.

Any thoughts?

Oh and I am hoping to park places I can be alone in nature. But I’m not trying to go super off road or anything. Also I’m in Australia, not America. :)

It’s just me and my (tall) 45lb dog.

Thank you so much for any helpful advice! :)

P.S. the odyssey has a sunroof but I shouldn’t make final decisions based on that. I can leave my Fit windows cracked at night with rain shields and mesh for bugs. Same on the Odyssey.

Edit: Also considering the CR-V but doesn’t seem like it would be enough difference to be a reason to go into debt—even though it has more space (and ground clearance).

I have a Honda Element, it was designed to be used for adventure camping. It has a lot more headroom than a Fit or a CRV. The front seats fold down flat as do the rear seats. Get the AWD, all wheel drive version because sometimes on dirt roads you can get some mud or at the road edges leadininto a campsite some loose gravel. The Element was also specifically designed to be dog friendly, it does not have any carpeting in it!

I tow a lightweight vintage fiberglass travel trailer with mine. The engines have good torque and the transmission from what I was told is the same as used on the larger Hondas. It has been a very reliable vehicle but they quit making them in 2011. If you can find a low mileage one get it checked out at a Honda dealership. They actually do very good inspection reports of all the components as they know that car inside and out.

There are after market lift kits made for the Element. You could also put a roof top tent on it. You will find YouTube videos showing custom cabinets and bed setups for full time travel in the Element.

I do know my 2006 Element predates the era of soy wiring but I am not sure what years Honda started using it and when they quit. Unfortunately in camping life soy wiring and rodents can be an issue. So do some research before you buy and avoid getting soy based wiring on any vehicle if you possibly can.

Last edited:
That generation Fit is known as a Jazz here. Very popular but I can only comment on the manual 1.3l model. Amazingly reliable and economical. The true flat seats are clever. You can make a dog bed up front passenger maybe?

The devil you know can be an asset. If you know someone mechanically minded maybe ask them to look over your car before you embark on your journey. There will be known issues to look out for?

Anyway, I agree, debt is the enemy. good luck

The biggest question I have is what do you do with your dog while working or shopping? He'll need to get out and stretch regularly. Or at least have space to stand occasionally.

You might need to make your vehicle decision somewhat around your pet.

I currently own a Honda Fit 2006.

My other choice is to buy a second hand Honda CR-V or Honda Odyssey (I can see some 2015 and 2016s that look like what I would want). But then I would have to pay it for the next few years. But I could keep more stuff and carry more stuff like extra food/water.

A new to me vehicle would be a risk but could be great, but I’d be in debt.

Edit: Also considering the CR-V but doesn’t seem like it would be enough difference to be a reason to go into debt—even though it has more space (and ground clearance).
Get started with what you have. You can buy another vehicle later after you have a better idea of your needs (and hopefully more money saved).

All of the vehicles you mentioned are small. If you're going to get into debt to buy a vehicle that you intend to live out of full time, I strongly suggest getting a full size van, ideally one that you can standup in. In the US, the smallest one that may meet that criteria is the Promaster 118".

No such thing as a Promaster 118 with high roof (unless added aftermarket)? High roof starts at Promaster 136.

No such thing as a Promaster 118 with high roof (unless added aftermarket)? High roof starts at Promaster 136.
While the 118 doesn't come in high roof, it's standard height of 65" is tall enough for some folks to standup in. Ditto the low roof Sprinter. No one taller than 4' can stand up in the low roof Transit.

Latest posts