Still bashing my brains out over what kind of van I should get

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganchanRV

Reaction score
Actually I've narrowed it down to two primary categories, just for the sake of my sanity: Either an Econoline/Express or some sort of Transit. Here are the factors I'm currently weighing:

1. I don't think I need to stand up because I'm still fairly limber and I'll be living out of the van, not in it. If I get too physcially creaky for that, I'll get a little rolling task chair and roll myself around the inside of the van. If that isn't good enough, I'll invest in a fiberglass top.

2. Those desert cross-winds will be easier to navigate in a lowtop van. (Would also be nice to be able to duck into a covered garage in a hailstorm....)

3. I'll be rotating between BLM trailheads and urban stealth environments, depending on weather, distance from the nearest town, etc. (Call it a 50/50 mix.) A old-school van would offer higher ground clearance, but a Transit would drive more like a car and offer better fuel efficiency.

4. I've heard that an Econoline is tougher than a Transit and also cheaper/easier to repair.

5. Passenger vs cargo van: Currently I like the idea of having windows, not only because it's less depressing but also because if the windows allow side-to-side ventilation I might not need to install (and power) a roof fan. Also, a passenger van comes with at least a little built-in insulation. Of course I'll make some thermal panels to wedge into the windows at night or when parked in the heat.

6. Used Econoline/Express vans are going for less money than used Transits.

So there we are. Any thoughts, based on this info?

Sounds like you have it pretty well figured out for your needs. Maybe do a bare minimum build to start with just a cot and few necessities to test out how well it will work for you. Consider renting a van for a weekend and camp locally before buying one!

Actually I've narrowed it down to two primary categories, just for the sake of my sanity: Either an Econoline/Express or some sort of Transit. Here are the factors I'm currently weighing:

1. I don't think I need to stand up because I'm still fairly limber and I'll be living out of the van, not in it. If I get too physcially creaky for that, I'll get a little rolling task chair and roll myself around the inside of the van. If that isn't good enough, I'll invest in a fiberglass top.

2. Those desert cross-winds will be easier to navigate in a lowtop van. (Would also be nice to be able to duck into a covered garage in a hailstorm....)

3. I'll be rotating between BLM trailheads and urban stealth environments, depending on weather, distance from the nearest town, etc. (Call it a 50/50 mix.) A old-school van would offer higher ground clearance, but a Transit would drive more like a car and offer better fuel efficiency.

4. I've heard that an Econoline is tougher than a Transit and also cheaper/easier to repair.

5. Passenger vs cargo van: Currently I like the idea of having windows, not only because it's less depressing but also because if the windows allow side-to-side ventilation I might not need to install (and power) a roof fan. Also, a passenger van comes with at least a little built-in insulation. Of course I'll make some thermal panels to wedge into the windows at night or when parked in the heat.

6. Used Econoline/Express vans are going for less money than used Transits.

So there we are. Any thoughts, based on this info?
If you are anywhere near Oregon, I've got an Econoline van/camper conversion for sale.

https://nextdoor.com/for_sale_and_free/6bfe8146-b2e9-4e73-93cb-39f3b50eac59/?init_source=search

My first van was a Ford Transit Connect cargo van. It was large enough to to provide for my needs. It had great gas mileage, a max fan, and I added a window. As you said, I got "creaky" so I sold it and bought a Ford Transit 250. It not as good on gas as the connect, but it did provide me with more room and I could stand up. More than likely....once you buy one, you will find it does not meet every need. It's about making due with what you decide. Everyone goes through several van builds and rebuilds, and we are still twinking it as we see things that need changed. At the end of the day it comes down to what you need.

I'm prejudiced but if you don't mind searching hard I'd recommend a low mileage ambulance from a fire dept. Make sure it has seamless steel roof & not a add on roof. Ambos are top quality, come with more storage than needed, front & rear heat & air, a one person chair & counter, a 3 person seat/bed. Mine is an E-350 Ford 7.3 diesel with 88k miles & Horton body. The replacement cost is over $500k. Fire depts normally are great at maintaining their equipment & they spare no expense on quality. Mine has 72" headroom, 120 volt plug on the outside, wired for 12v & 120v inside so the hard work is done if you want a custom interior. There are several you tubes on them including Bob Wells Ambo. Just my opinion. It's for sale because of health problems.

j

I'm prejudiced but if you don't mind searching hard I'd recommend a low mileage ambulance from a fire dept. Make sure it has seamless steel roof & not a add on roof. Ambos are top quality, come with more storage than needed, front & rear heat & air, a one person chair & counter, a 3 person seat/bed. Mine is an E-350 Ford 7.3 diesel with 88k miles & Horton body. The replacement cost is over $500k. Fire depts normally are great at maintaining their equipment & they spare no expense on quality. Mine has 72" headroom, 120 volt plug on the outside, wired for 12v & 120v inside so the hard work is done if you want a custom interior. There are several you tubes on them including Bob Wells Ambo. Just my opinion. It's for sale because of health problems.

j
I have seen some really nice converted ambulances. After working on more than one van with odd and sloping interiors, I could appreciate the "squareness" of an ambulance - or a box truck for that matter. The only reason I posted my van link is because you identified that make and model as of interest to you. Also at $3500, my van might be a cheaper way to "test the waters."

Do not worry. The right van will “speak to you” when you find it. Just get out there physically and look at them. Respond to ads. Go kick some tires in person and go for test drives. IMAGINING what a space and ride is like cannot compare to actually being in the space and taking some real test drives.

There's no exactly right answer. Either way you go you'll need to set it up to your needs. And probably do it again.

Unless you think this is the very last van you'll buy, you should anticipate that your next vehicle will be an upgrade when it's time for a change. Don't get let perfect be the enemy of very good.

Given some of what you've said. Maybe spend less on a conventional van that can be stealthy and see what works and doesn't for you. Like Tony, you can always make a change for the next vehicle.