My Non-Build Van Build!! Take note ladies!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WanderWoman9

Reaction score
So, as crazy as this sounds - my fifth wheel primary home, which is supposed to be mobile - is stationary. Two reasons - hubby works a regular job and I would need to buy a big truck. 

However - I can’t sit still and don’t need to with my job, so I’ve been itching to get on the road. I decided I wanted to get a stealth van of some type which gives me more options of places to go, as well as allows me to head back to my job HQ in a major city when needed.

So this weekend I bought him - a 2000 GMC Safari with 91k miles. Yes, it’s a him, and his name is Van Diesel. (LOL) 

The challenge I’ve had, and I think a lot of women can relate - is that I can’t build jack. You see these YouTubers that have like bamboo flooring and Tiffany lamps and I’m like no freakin way can I do that, and paying for someone to build it out defeats the purpose! So - here’s my solution so far: 

Privacy curtain: I tried a good old fashioned curtain and tension rod setup but due to the sloping side walls it wasn’t working. Luckily there is a headliner seam right there, so blackout curtains are tucked in along the top and sides of the van liner. I also like that if I need to jump up and haul ass out of there I can just rip it down without any major resistance or damage. 

Bed/seating: stripped out the center seats and kept the rear bench seat. This serves as desk/dining seating, and folds forward to be the “cot” for my bed. I got egg crate foam, cut it to size, and used double sided Velcro for easy on/off of the pad. Rolled that up with the sleeping bag and pillow to store. If I’m being lazy I’m short enough to lie across the seat as well. 

Bathroom: this one took a little thinking. In the rear “trunk” space behind the bench seat to the right I put in a 50 gallon storage bin and a tiny stool to sit in it. To the left a 5 gallon water jug and a Costway propane Gas hot water heater. The water pump is powered by the 12v rear plug and a small propane bottle does the heating. Water tube into water jug and done. I also installed a plastic shower curtain by running two bungees across the ceiling, folding said curtain in half and lining inside of the bin. Lastly, a portable camp toilet also stores in the bin and so can the curtain when not in use. Finally, I will install a rain barrel spigot on the bottom of the bin to make drainage easier. 

Closet/Wardrobe: Against the rear of the passenger seat. I needed the ability to hang some clothes since there will be work meetings at times and wrinkles won’t cut it. Hanging them on the side door hooks out in the open seemed cluttered and screamed “someone lives in here!” I found a cheap $20 Whitmore Compact Covered clothes closet, which is only 42” high and no tool assembly with PVC piping and a canvas cover. So shelving for casual clothes and hanging for suits. Check!

Kitchen: behind the driver seat along the wall. I ordered an Ozark Trail camp kitchen which has small enough length and height dimensions. It hasn’t arrived yet. It fits a standard Coleman camp stove and has storage underneath for cook gear and pantry. It also has a bin sink and dish rack. 

I toyed with the running sink and plumbing idea but trying to keep electrical use to an absolute minimum to keep capacity For what I really need (fridge/laptop). So for now I have a Primo portable electric pump sitting on top of a 3 or 5 gallon standard water jug. The pump is rechargeable and cheap ($20 at Walmart) so running water solved. Maybe in the future I’ll toy with a drain and gray water tank setup but for now, sink bin dumps into shower bin for later drainage. 

Fridge - once kitchen arrives I’ll take measurements and get a 12V dometic or something and make sure it has a long cord to reach the front 12V plug. I have a small inverter already plugged into that lighter that can handle usb charging and one a/c plug with 150 watt surge/100 W running capacity. 

Desk/dining table: I had a unique challenge in that I work with a laptop and two portable monitors on either side that plug in to the laptop USBs, so no extra power plugs. I needed more than just a laptop sized desk but still very storable. 

I bought 3 Mainstay portable Desk tables and line them up in front of the bench seat. Each is about the size of TV tray but sturdier and adjustable in height. They can lay flat or tilt and have a lip on the bottom to hold the laptop in tilted position. Best part - all 3 fold flat and fit under the bench seat. I can adjust the length of my “table” by using only one or two as well. Again - simplicity, storability, and no building required on my part. 

The last part I’m still toying with and that’s the power I need to run my laptop/monitor setup all day. I’m liking a goal zero yhetti with some type of solar panel. I won’t go with the lithium even though it’s lighter because you can’t charge those off the 12V battery. 

A briefcase style solar panel seems easiest because roof mounting seems like construction to me. But I’m toying with a magnet mount setup for the roof because I would like to have the option to charge while driving. So two panels eventually? All I know is solar power needs to be one plug into the battery or I’m out. 

So there you have it! An entire van build without a single saw or hammer! I hope this inspires those of you daunted by the challenge of “building out” a van setup when you have no construction skills. 

If you want to see pics - hit me up!

I'd love to see your wardrobe set up! Also I saw someone on YouTube use flexible solar panels on the roof which are mounted with special double sided adhesive tape. Tape isn't construction! :D

workingfromtheroad said:
I'd love to see your wardrobe set up! Also I saw someone on YouTube use flexible solar panels on the roof which are mounted with special double sided adhesive tape. Tape isn't construction! :D

Unfortuately, the roof isn't flat. It has some long grooves down the length of the roof. Not sure if those are for aerodynamics or looks. So that's another item to tackle...

What I did for more electricity is I replaced the van starter battery with the biggest deep cycle battery that would fit in the original location.  That makes it so that the alternator charges without any solenoids, extra wiring, or complexity.  With the battery mounted under the hood there are no fumes inside and no space used inside.  No build.  As I recall the original Safari battery has side posts.  I have seen a top post battery in an Astro.  

Then I added a solar panel.  A folding panel would work.  I have only 100 watts but I recommend 200 so you get better charging in poor conditions.  

I am often told that I can't have just one battery because the engine won't start if I run it down.  Well, a separate battery still has a 50% limit and you can't run it down without killing it so you still have to pay attention.  In 2 years I have not had it fail to start the engine.  

I have a low energy fridge.  It is a diy cube fridge and inverter.  You can have a no build electricity supply.  PM me if you want more details.

Hi WW, a newbie here. My van remodel ideas are at Conversion Forum https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=32239

If possible, could you post photos and/or more detailed info on your "bin" shower setup?  How much of a footprint does it have?

If you ever find yourself in Central New York, let me know.  I would love to see your van.  There's plenty of acerage here and water/dump etc for you.

See you later.  Max

very nice Like my dad said use he kiss method ( KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID ) thanks dad....

Great ideas and approach for your build.
That's the spirit, efficient design and execution.
Being effective yet practical.
Bravo!
You'll do well when the zombie Apocalypse hits.

WanderWoman9 said:
Ok - I managed to post the link to my van build photos in my bio. I'll post more up as I go as well.

Hi, Thanks for the PM on  your excellent shower build. I hope you don't mind, I plan to work up a message on my Methuselah Remodel thread about a shower, and use a picture you sent.  Yell at me if it;s not ok. :huh:

Hi,  I see that you are fairly new and I haven't begun yet... don't even have a van. I don't know what to buy, mileage to consider and price...  I live with 2 cats and need too save money... any help you can provide will be much appreciated!

WanderWoman, You haven't posted lately.  You're an inspiration for "minimal" build and ideas.  Hope you'll let us see more of your ideas.  BYW I think ridges in metal is for strength.

(Note:  I need to find another Greybeard.  The original is no longer available.) :mad: