Ideas for Financing a Van, Electrical Questions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josefine

Reaction score
So for a little bit of background, I am currently homeless, living in a battered women's shelter. My time here will be up in May and I will only have $1000 saved by then, not enough for a van. My credit is very poor, so a regular car loan is not an option. I am filling out an application for a loan for adaptive technology. The organization will do vehicle loans if they require adapting for a disability. I am on disability and I also was working part time with my own dog walking business until I became homeless 5 months ago. I have a PTSD service dog named Charlie. I would need to make a few accomodations for my service dog, whether I am using the vehicle for work or living. It is not safe to take my dog on some dog walking jobs until I have gotten a chance to know the client's dog and properly introduced them to Charlie. I have no home to leave him at while I walk client's dogs, so my business is at a standstill. It is not like I could make it profitable when I had to take the bus to client's homes anyhow. And even though I can manage my PTSD on my own for short periods when I am working with other animals, I need him close by. 

So anyhow, I would like to have a foolproof cooling system that would allow me to let my service dog rest in my vehicle when I have to work without him for short periods. I am putting together an estimate for the van and the auxiliary electrical and cooling system to submit with the loan application.

I found a system called the Ray Allen F2 Heat Alarm. It is made for police dogs. There is a sensor in that stays in the car and the officer carries a remote that works up to a mile away. It will page the officer if the car gets too hot and also roll down windows and start up a fan. Here is a YouTube video with an older version of the system on a Prius: 

Anyone else ever heard of it?

I am going to put the Kelley Blue Book estimate for a 2008 or later Dodge Grand Caravan in the loan application. (maybe I'll just pick like 2011, just to give them more specific info for the estimate). I would like that model because of the extra storage space that Stow and Go seating arrangement would offer. I would remove the seats of course and I have an idea for my bed, but I won't include all that on the loan application. (That should be inexpensive to build and has nothing to do with adaptive technology.) The other good thing is that the Grand Caravan has second row windows that roll down and most police cars are Dodges, so it should work well with the Heat Alarm system. 

I live in the Pacific Northwest, where it is always cool in the shade, so I am leaning towards a rooftop fan instead of an air conditioner. I plan on getting a deep cycle battery (or several?) as well as making Reflectix curtains. Here is the list for electrical and cooling so far: 
Rooftop Fan
A roll of Reflectix
Deep cycle battery
Power inverter
Battery isolator
Wiring
BreezeGuard bars for windows

I just started researching this a few days ago, so I am sure there is a ton more to consider. I am sure that list is far from complete. I plan on wiring everything myself. I used to sell and install batteries at Sears and I have built my own computer before. So I am confident I could do it with the use of the local free tool library, but I would love to learn more about potential difficulties in the process.  

So this loan is a long shot. If it doesn't work I may have to break down and ask a friend to co-sign a loan. Not sure if that will work either. If it doesn't, that would mean going to a night shelter after this to save money. That is really not the safest option, especially since my abuser is still stalking me. I have more low-income housing options than most, but I am safer if I stay mobile. I don't need the Heat Alarm, but that means no dog walking and having to find a different line of work. Safety is the top priority, but I really want to get off of disability. I can make do with an older van if I need to. The biggest thing is just getting something that runs and will keep me safe. 

I included a lot. Any suggestions are appreciated! I am still in the early stages of planning this new lifestyle. I am excited and hopeful!

I have built a bed in a Doge Caravan. It gave storage space under the mattress and a person could still sit on it without hitting their head. The rear passenger seat was still usable. Fuel economy will be much better in a minivan than a regular van.
Some vent fans have a thermostat that will turn them on if it gets hot. A second battery and a solar panel would be enough during the day to keep the fan running.

Welcome Josefine to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

I would get a hold of Homes on Wheels Alliance(HOWA). they may be able to help out.

I moved your thread to the "Newcomers Corner"

highdesertranger

WELCOME - I hope you know about Bob's mini van "no build - build" videos and lots more on his video site and here about minivan living. Give you partner a nice rub between the ears for me:)

welcome to the forum josefine! i use to help out my wife with
her pet-sitting business many years ago. it was always enjoyable
except for the parrot that bit me...good luck and stay safe!
jim