Happy & Safe Memorial Day to One & All!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This for sure. So many Murahkans think Memorial Day is another version of Veterans Day. It’s about remembering those who died not just those who served.
I experienced the loss of several in my unit while spending 30 months in SE Asia but none more meaningful to me than one.

He was 34 at the time and I was almost 21 and had worked with him on numerous cross border jobs into mostly Laos; some Cambodia my first 2 years.
He chose me for his unit when I first arrived at 19. He had 5 tours all toll and I was green as green is. He became more than commander or mentor. He became both the father I never had; the big brother I never had.

He was a very tough and crusty leader. No nonsense n no bullshit. He was not the kind of man you would introduce to anyone you knew back in the states. Off duty he was a complete drunk; horribly crude & a womanizer, etc…..

But in combat he was absolutely wonderful; an amazing leader under fire who was absolutely fearless. He was born to be a combat soldier and he died as one.

I’m glad he helped build my life.
INTJohn

Last edited:
Yes, thanks to all who gave their all.

I am flying my 3x5 AMERICAN MADE flag out front on a pole, high enough to be seen by passing traffic.

I used to attend the Memorial Day Motorcycle Rally in Red River NM, but that one has been severly curtailed by the locals. But in years past we all rode to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial near Angel Fire, and there was always a military fighter aircraft flyover in tight formation, wings tilted to salute those who served, and that was one of the highlights.

https://www.vietnamveteransmemorial.org/

With both hands on the bars as I rode in these events, it was never easy to capture that sort of thing on video, BUT....in 2019 I was lucky enough to be camping in Sturgis with several veterans who rode, and one of them provided us with a somber sounding of Taps:

Thank You to those that remember those who served and didn’t come back by making life better in this country each day by continuing to support and protect the Constitution in honor of their sacrifice.