Legalities of residency

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes many people are "resident" legally in one jurisdiction but have home(s), employment, vehicles, own companies etc in other places.

"This mailing address is for my lawyer (or accountant, or PA), who manage my paperwork while I'm traveling"

bullfrog said:
 in Arizona you can get them for 5 years even though in 2022 it will not meet federal standards for boarding a plane ) I went a head and got it renewed. 

My understanding is that anyone whose ID is not Real-ID compliant in 2020 (when all states will be required to be compliant) will have to renew then, even if they are not yet scheduled for a renewal.

Surely you can just use your passport until you get the compliant renewal?

I am going through getting mine in AZ right now. had to get all kinds of stuff to prove I am who I say I am and residency. I have everything I need now so next time I am in AZ I will get it. highdesertranger

Nemo said:
As a small qualification on this.. yes, you must notify DMV of your change of address.. but, there is no requirement to actually have it changed on the physical license.. in fact theres an extra fee if you want to ::) so its easy to have them different for years on end.

True; ... but can cause problems.  Twice I've bought vehicles where they INSISTED on using the address on the physical license for the paperwork.  Both times I had problems with registering/renewing (and once insuring) the vehicles.  Now, whenever I am able I pay the extra fee and get the physical license changed (often insisting on it as have had the DMV clerk state, "we just give you this slip of paper stating your address changed" --- DID NOT work when I purchased the vehicle)

I know the government wants us attached to some physical location in case we do something illegal and they need to get us. But let's say I own a condo or house, that it's my legal address on everything from drivers license to bank accounts, that I pay the mortgage and taxes, and that I even pay people to maintain the yard and do necessary repairs, but I'm never ever there. What good would it do them?

Again, just a formality, control of the good citizens.

No one believes it actually help catch bad guys, just another hoop to jump through.

Google your states requirements and do what it takes to meet them. Normally, paying for a months rent at a RV Park will do it, but double check that.

So, which state out west is the best? Easy to get documentation, no income tax, no vehicle inspection, etc?

FLorida will require me to come back there in 2019 for a new picture .... don't really want to make that long drive unless I am already out that way (not likely).

I owned a condo in FL, since none of my mail is very goes there...I just never changed the address. But, I have a mail service with goodsams in Crestview, FL.

Arguably South Dakota is best in most ways. However, it's still a long ways away for most of us which complicates health care.

Wow didn't even think of that, haven't seen a doctor more than twice in ten years, but you never know.

If you're registered as legally resident in a faraway state and something sudden / major comes up "while you are travelling", are you saying getting treatment covered may be difficult? Maybe have to travel back to your "home" state?

Medicare different from Medicaid?

Really for the richest economy in the world by far, this aspect of USian culture really is. . .

Medicare doesn't care where you are as long as you are inside the USA. The supplimental plans ...well, some of them have covered service providers...and you have to go there. But, you can get insurance good for anywhere.

As for Medicaid...that is State dependent.

As for my question....it sounds like I should just keep Florida. No one seemed the know of a western state that has all my requirements.... no income tax, no Vehicle inspections, easy to get documentation for DL, etc

Every 5 years have to plan a long trip.....

If you have VA healthcare you can go to any VA facility in any state for healthcare.  You didn't say you were a veteran, but I'm sure there are some veterans who will read this.

For those of us not on Medicare/caid or VA, it's a major issue. Most health insurance requires you to be in their system and that is usually only in-state. There are exceptions but not many, and going to be very expensive.

Emergency care is covered in all states, but then its up to you to get back into your system.

I think Bob refers to the In-Network list of docs that you can go to for a given illness. Some insurers will pay little to nothing for out of network doctors.

I did not read the 6 pages of the thread, I simply looked up the nearest UPS store website.  It claims to be a “real street address”, I dont know if that suffices or not. Costs $20 a month with a 3 month minimum for a small box, you get 1 month free with a 6 month lease and 2 months free with a year lease of the box.  
Begin quote from website:

Let Us Help Manage Your Mail and Package Receiving
With our personalized mailbox services, you get package acceptance from all carriers, a real street address and email or text notification*. Plus, we'll keep your packages secure until you're ready to pick them up.

[font=UPSSans, Helvetica, sans-serif]Here's what you get:[/font]
  • A street address, not a P.O. Box number
    Have your mail and packages delivered to your personalized mailbox at The UPS Store.
  • 24-hour access*
    Pick up your mail when it’s convenient for you. Your mail and packages stay-safe and confidential.
  • Package acceptance from all shipping carriers
    We accept packages from all carriers, so you’ll never miss a delivery.
  • Package and mail receipt notification
    We can text or email you when your mail and packages arrive in your mailbox.
  • Mail holding and forwarding**
    We’ll hold your packages in a secure location for pick up at your convenience or we can forward them to you, wherever you are.
  • Call-in MailCheck
    Save time. Save a trip. Call us to find out if you have mail.
  • The UPS Store Certified Packing Experts®
    Access to our expert staff to help you find the right packing and shipping solutions. 
[font=arial, sans-serif] *Available at participating locations[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]End quote[/font]