Escape in New York

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heck, there was no electric on the Oregon Trail. If it's just making the trip, get the cheapest thrift store camping stove you can find. Put a sleeping bag in the back, pack up what you don't want to leave behind, and hit the road. Make improvements as your finances and desires allow.

Heck, there was no electric on the Oregon Trail. If it's just making the trip, get the cheapest thrift store camping stove you can find. Put a sleeping bag in the back, pack up what you don't want to leave behind, and hit the road. Make improvements as your finances and desires allow.
That's how I started. I had a Blazer, and had just left a disastrous relationship by basically running out the door with the clothes I had on. Left everything behind. Took the passenger seat out, folded down the rear seats, and put in a plywood "floor." Got a sleeping bag (and some more clothes, and headed on down the road.

It's been 9 years, with a lot of improvements, but getting started was easy enough. I figured out the first night that I needed a little more than a sleeping bag, and each paycheck moved me a little further ahead in the comfort zone.

I am looking for advice on how to become a nomad from where I’m at now.
I am located in upstate New York and am currently in a motel paying 250 a week.
I own a 2005 Honda Civic with 90k miles that has been a lot of work maintaining but I think it is in fairly reliable condition now. It is a 2 door with a trunk not a hatchback. I have not upgraded to a van or suv because of prices nowadays and I think I can do it in my car if need be.
I have lived here all my life and love camping in NY. I am a senior citizen (71) and wil be tenting. In NY a senior can use the state campgrounds free for day use,meaning you can use their amenities like showers and picnic sites free all day long you just need to find a campsite at night.
My plan is to take advantage of this in the ADK mtns this spring summer and fall. At which point I will probably head south.
I have all my worldly possessions in this motel room and the plan is to use a small 5x5 heated storage space I can rent for 57 a month. And that includes insurance. I plan on moving out of the motel when weather allows. I was camping all last summer and fall on a friends property I rented cheap.I can still do this, but it is for sale so that complicates it.
The car is paid off and I have about $45k saved. I only have soc sec of $1300 a month income.
My questions are:
1) What solar setup should I go with?
2) DC cooler or ice?
3) Best tent, I have a nice 2 man nylon tent that is old. I would like to get something with a stove jack, probably cotton canvas. What size,what brand, and all the other stuff like shape etc.
Thanks in advance
Al
As much as you are attached to that low mileage, reliable vehicle You will be a lot better off with something more substantial that allows more storage and sleeping space. Also a vehicle with better ground clearance. A mid sized SUV would not be too much of a financial blow on your savings after reinvesting the proceeds from the sale of your current vehicles but it will make a significant difference in your comfort and safety and it will lower the risk of damaging your vehicle on those dirt roads in the camp ground areas. When your current vehicle is overloaded with camping gear and personal articles you will have even less ground clearance.

Leave already but do start looking for a vehicle better suited for your new lifestyle. There are good bargains out there and there are buyers looking for your old vehicle.

Last edited:
On looking a little deaper..........

A receiver hitch may cost $150 to $200 with install extra. Wiring to trailer I'm not sure. U-Haul does sell and install this equipment.

Enclosed4x8Large.png

Their website states the weight of these 4 X 8 trailers as 850 lbs. With a folding Cot inside it you could sleep in it. storing goods under the Cot in boxes. Just depends on how much stuff you have to stow in the trailer.

U-Haul website 4 X 8 Trailer

Although Honda states that it doesn't recommend towing with the Civic in the owners manual.....it may be more with concern to the vehicle's warranty. With 90K miles it would likely be past warranty now. And if you are wanting to only go one way...south to relocate....you may not tax the Honda that much.

The "Driver Adviser" website reviews the Honda Civics towing capability.

Driver Adviser Towing with the Honda Civic
I found that driver advisor website study result interesting. They changed the estimated towing capacity rating for the civic to much higher when it had trailer brakes. But if you look at the next Honda, the Element, which is rated for towing they did not include factoring in the addition of trailer brakes for adjusting the towing capacity. They just say it cannot pull a small travel trailer. Of course that is incorrect as there are small travel trailers within the Element’s towing capacity. Two of them are vintage fiberglass trailers from the late 1960s that have popup roof areas. They were designed to be pulled by a VW Bug of that era. I have on of those two and it’s dry weight out of the factory was just under 900lbs. But I did put a new frame under mine with a new axle that has trailer brakes. Those statistics for the Honda Civic put my travel trailer it into the tow rating range for a Civic.

If I were to choose a cargo trailer for a civic I would get an aluminum one with an aluminum frame and trailer brakes. But the bigger issue is Hondas do not have strong rear suspension components. So that means tongue weight becomes a much bigger issue than just the cars ability to pull a load.

That's how I started. I had a Blazer, and had just left a disastrous relationship by basically running out the door with the clothes I had on. Left everything behind. Took the passenger seat out, folded down the rear seats, and put in a plywood "floor." Got a sleeping bag (and some more clothes, and headed on down the road.

It's been 9 years, with a lot of improvements, but getting started was easy enough. I figured out the first night that I needed a little more than a sleeping bag, and each paycheck moved me a little further ahead in the comfort zone.
Good for you ! 👍😁

Attention!!!!
it has been more than 6 months since the original poster of this thread has logged into this forum. They may or may not have left their uncomfortable circumstances behind and gone off in their little car but they have left this thread and forum.

No point in giving advice to someone who is not around to read it.

Latest posts