Legalities of residency

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John61CT said:
Just use a friend or relative.

Yep. I think that in the end this will become the only workable option.

(It is my understanding that one of the SD maildrops--I don't use them so I don't know which one--actually gives you an RV spot with your mailbox which acts as your legal residence. You can even stay there for the summer if you want.)

I use a friend for residence address but didn't want him to have to continually deal with my mail so I also got a mail forwarding service.

Here's the interesting part; I went onto the Oregon DMV website and updated my mailing address, retaining the residence address. To my surprise, I received an updated sticker to put on my license that included both addresses.

I'm happy with the outcome.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Yes, once you have registered a residential address with those bureaucracies that insist on that (don't accept the maildrop address as the only one) 99% of the time you can then specify your mailing address, and the residential one will never get any mail, unless they start getting "no longer at this address" like when you fail to pay your bill.

Another thought for the OP - join the Escapees (google it, I don't think I can post a link yet) - they offer a mailing service to their members, they have a physical address where you can stay, and that is a well-accepted way for full-timers to get a legal residence address.

Jackueg - you're well clear of the link restriction!

It's only there to prevent people from coming to the forum strictly for the purpose of drawing people to outside links, be it their blog, a for sale listing, their Youtube channel, whatever. While we simply delete spammers, we were getting an increasing number of people who joined just for that purpose.

The rule is 10 substantive posts ie not just saying 'hi welcome to the forum, I'm a newbie too' in the  newcomers corner. We want people who can and will contribute to the forum to the best of their abilities.

What most of you are missing is that nearly all states now require you bring in a receipt proving that you live at the physical address. The few states that do not require it will start requiring it soon. It's part of the Real ID Act and without it you will not be allowed onto a Federal property, including airports. You still can with a Passport.

Go back and re-read the OP. They demanded a piece of paper that proved he lived there. It has NOTHING to do with your mailing address whatsoever or the address at the mailing address. They required a piece of paper proving he lived there. That will also be true of a friend or a relative.

The OP created a lease, that did it as a piece of paper. You can do the same with your friend or relative if he is willing to lie for you.

SD makes it the easiest and cheapest, just bring in a receipt from a motel room or RV Park for one (or two?) nights and that is the piece of paper.

Nevada is typical, you must bring in a rent receipt or a utility payment or a bank statement that went to the physical address.

This has ZERO to do with your mailing forwarder.

John61CT said:
Just to keep things clear, I propose let's use

A. mailing address

B. residential address

Even though you may not actually live at B, you are required by various bureaucracies to pretend that you do, so "physical" and "legal" may be used for that, but probably best to keep consistency.

I would add C.  Legal address. It is easy to get a mailing address but not all places will give you a legal address that is recognized by the US Postal Service. It makes a difference. Not hard to do. Just make sure that whoever you go with can give you a legal address.

I am saying that "residential" address is what you are calling "legal" address.

It is the address that you are telling the bureaucracy is "where you live".

It is often required by private companies, insurance other financial, not just government agencies, any org that matches against and disallows known maildrop / letterbox service addresses.

There is no need for a third category.

> make sure that whoever you go with can give you a legal address

Sounds like you are still talking about using a commercial letterbox service's street address as your residential (your term "legal") address.

Don't do that, will very likely trip you up, if not now then at some likely most inconvenient time in the near future.

As I said, the database matching/cleaning vendors used by many government and financial systems will kick that out, flag it as a known maildrop, forwarding service, not eligible for use as a residential address.

Trying to do so may even flag your record as 'potential fraud' attracting unwanted attention by the data-mining neural network algorithms (AI), or even human agents looking for people engaged in suspicious activities.

Again, use a mutually trusted family or friends' home address for your residential address.

mr_elijah_gardner said:
"... made a lease, printed it and went back. Ok this works here is your new drivers license. ..."

I thought this the best thread to post some questions. I apologize (in advance) if I'm in any way off-topic.
  1. If I choose to obtain an AZ driver's license, would I get the license right away at the DMV?
  2. If not, will the DMV mail it to the post office located in Quartzsite?
  3. If so, is anyone willing to receive it in their box if I can make it there next year (of course I'll contribute to the box fee)?

in AZ they used to give the license immediately, not anymore now they mail it to you. I am in the process right now. you need to go to their website to see the requirements. I have my hospital birth certificate but they won't accept that, you need the one from the county. mine is on the way. there are a few other requirements. go to the website,
https://www.azdot.gov/motor-vehicles/driver-services/driver-license-information/application
highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
  I have my hospital birth certificate but they won't accept that,  you need the one from the county. 
Yep. Same thing with passport card. I took my hospital b c too. It had to be a certified one. County does it. After picking up script's, wanna make sure I can re-enter the USA. "Passport please".

This is one of the reasons I am really glad I don't plan on changing domiciles...I have already "proven" I live at a certain address in Wyoming...as long as I don't change anything except a mailing address (had a PO Box before) I'm good to go. Technically my parents still own it...at least for a few more days anyway.

lenny flank said:
Yep. The Real ID Act is intended specifically to stop people from doing what many of us do--use a maildrop as an address to get an ID. I expect that any loopholes anyone manages to find in it, will get quickly closed, and it will be simply impossible to get an ID without an actual verified street address.
So everyone oughtta have a Plan B.....

I've been giving this Real ID Act issue a lot of thought lately and it has my worried that it will create an impassible barrier to my planned mobile life.  

I actually ran into it today when I went to the DMV to renew my license, and they would't let me past the front desk because the envelope I brought in wasn't a bill.  I brought in something AT&T sent me, but because it was an ad and didn't actually prove residency (even though it had my name and address on it), they wouldn't take it.  

What if you don't have friends or family?  Not everyone does, especially as you get older and people die off.  And I'd have to think that at least some people who decide to live in a vehicle might be loners and not have a lot of (any) people they can use for this purpose.  What then??

The few people / siblings left in my family are not very close, and the even fewer friends I feel close enough to ask for address help don't live anywhere near where I'd be living and working.  

I'm finding this all very stressful and discouraging.  

It's like the government wants to make it impossible to get out of the Rat Race and be free.  :s

Don't over think or get all stressed out.

The bureaucrats don't. To repeat from above, they like easy lives.

You find out what documents they need, put down on the forms the info that is closest to reality you can manage, ensure it all makes sense, hangs together like a normal person's would, pay the fee, stamp stamp, file file and Bob's your uncle no worries.

The 'residential address' does not need to be anywhere near anything else, it's just for tax and legal purposes. Little or no mail needs to go there, so it should not be a big favor, you should be able to find a kind social worker or librarian to help you if you don't mind "playing homeless", be creative!

Or go live at a campground that lets you use their address long enough to get that address established.

Search "Coyote Howls" at this website for an example.

_____
If you don't have family or friends you can ask, you really need to do something about that, urgently. Not because of this silly regulatory issue, but because having people we care about and who care about us is a critical issue for our health, and yes our survival.

Scientific fact. The silly USian myth of "rugged individualism" and "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" is an evil pernicious lie, fundamental cause of a huge number of mental health crises and deaths every year.

Sure if you're wealthy you can kid yourself "you don't need" human connection, but in the end we all do, withdrawing that far from society is slow suicide, don't let the bastards push you down that road.

BigT said:
It's like the government wants to make it impossible to get out of the Rat Race and be free.  :s

Well, what the government wants to do is prevent terrorists from getting fake IDs. We van-dwellers and RVers are just collateral damage, but since there are so few of us nobody really cares about what happens to us.

Don't forget the other bogus cover stories: paedophiles, drug dealers, "protecting us" from identity theft etc

Now illegal alien rapists, maybe political "radicals" coming soon.

It is actually all about social control, preserve the status quo.

I live part of the year in Arizona and the rest in Utah. I have P.O. boxes in both places. I recently bought a car and registered it in Arizona. Since my drivers license expires this year ( in Arizona you can get them for 5 years even though in 2022 it will not meet federal standards for boarding a plane ) I went a head and got it renewed. They sent my drivers license to my Arizona P.O. box. My Arizona car title was mailed to my Utah P.O. box as that was where I listed my address when I bought the car, crazy but I do like how the small Arizona DMV offices do everything they can to make it easy for you.