When it's time to stop.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The issue with Demming is really that its both hot (mid 90s in summer) and cool (mid 50s in winter) so for someone who can move with the seasons there are other places that make more sense
True. But wouldn't it fit into the itinerary at some point?
The year I lived there, they had a hard freeze, worse than they are used to, and /everybody's/ plumbing burst. All the hardware stores, including in Las Cruces, were madhouses. I had to drive to Socorro (4 hour round trip) for a 97-cent plumbing gizmo. I bought two and still have the other one somewhere around here for a souvenir.
I stop there once in awhile on my way to somewhere else... usually the Gila
It's a good jumping-off point for day trips IMO -- both Rockhound and City of Rocks state parks are easy day trips; also Lake Valley ghost town, and Palomas, Chihuahua, home of the very gringo-friendly Pink Store. It has a bunch of decent Mexican restaurants, some artsy stuff, and a nice free museum with a lot of Mimbres pottery, a huge doll collection, and a Braille Playboy.

So far, I have found most of the commercial (for profit) RV parks cost too much for what you get - IMO. They also have some variation of the 10-year rule, even if the tight quarters were appealing. My current van just clicked past the 20-year mark and I would prefer not having to constantly have that hanging over my head. Although I understand why many of us would not like sitting up in a place that looks too much like a homeless camp. I am looking for a Plan B to implement in a year or so. Starting a conversation on what might be physically or economically available seemed like a reasonable first move.

To this end I could afford a few $K down and monthly payments <$500/month. And I have already located an acceptable Plan C. But, my "ideal" property would allow full time RV living and neighbors about a "stone's throw" away. A water well would be nice, but a small group could also buy a larger storage tank and have a monthly water truck delivery. Maybe do some rain capture. Allow a small storage shed for each person. Solar has progressed to the point we could skip the grid requirement. Just tossing out ideas right now and I don't expect anyone to have an immediate solution. Although if you do, that would be GREAT.

Bob has done some videos on possible solutions, and I may follow up on some of those. But having a feeling of community would fall under the "ideal" category.

In the interview the owner says the Caballo Loco lots are 1/8 to 1/2 acre, so not packed in tight. And the dry campers have access to toilets and showers and water, and sewer dump. A year ago it was only $1,000 a year, so it's practically free. For year round climate it's hard to do better.

Does anyone know of similar parks that are more spread out, even if they are more expensive?

I did see in some of the review comments that CLR is only allowing long term stays if you have a shower, toilet, and and holding tanks in your rig. Which seems weird, but that's what people say... I guess the facilities are only for short term stays? Where do people go to dump their tanks in that case?

I did see in some of the review comments that CLR is only allowing long term stays if you have a shower, toilet, and and holding tanks in your rig. Which seems weird, but that's what people say... I guess the facilities are only for short term stays? Where do people go to dump their tanks in that case?
YIKES! This was one of my Plan C options. But I do not plan on installing a holding tank, shower, and flush type toilet just to qualify.

So far, I have found most of the commercial (for profit) RV parks cost too much for what you get - IMO. They also have some variation of the 10-year rule, even if the tight quarters were appealing. My current van just clicked past the 20-year mark and I would prefer not having to constantly have that hanging over my head. Although I understand why many of us would not like sitting up in a place that looks too much like a homeless camp. I am looking for a Plan B to implement in a year or so. Starting a conversation on what might be physically or economically available seemed like a reasonable first move.

To this end I could afford a few $K down and monthly payments <$500/month. And I have already located an acceptable Plan C. But, my "ideal" property would allow full time RV living and neighbors about a "stone's throw" away. A water well would be nice, but a small group could also buy a larger storage tank and have a monthly water truck delivery. Maybe do some rain capture. Allow a small storage shed for each person. Solar has progressed to the point we could skip the grid requirement. Just tossing out ideas right now and I don't expect anyone to have an immediate solution. Although if you do, that would be GREAT.

Bob has done some videos on possible solutions, and I may follow up on some of those. But having a feeling of community would fall under the "ideal" category.
I agree with all of your thoughts...RE When It's Time To Stop. As I and others have commented on Plan B variations, the one that has the most appeal at this moment is a chunk of land to share with like-minded nomads that want/need to stop.
That being said (new acronym TBS), this could be one of those challenges best tackled by a small group. Even then,
could take quite a bit of time to sort out all the details such as Where, How to finance ( are there banks that finance just raw land?, zoning, proximity to services, size of lots,climate needs, what to charge non-owners. Since we do time to figure
this out, why not put a few brains together and get started??

Like you, a few $k down and 30% of my SS would be doable. A lot of good discussion has been found about this, but ultimately, it becomes old and gets lost. What do you and others think about forming a separate group that can
work on this via regular email?

Attachments

• 20200621_110527.jpg
    20200621_110527.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I agree with all of your thoughts...RE When It's Time To Stop. As I and others have commented on Plan B variations, the one that has the most appeal at this moment is a chunk of land to share with like-minded nomads that want/need to stop.
That being said (new acronym TBS), this could be one of those challenges best tackled by a small group. Even then,
could take quite a bit of time to sort out all the details such as Where, How to finance ( are there banks that finance just raw land?, zoning, proximity to services, size of lots,climate needs, what to charge non-owners. Since we do time to figure
this out, why not put a few brains together and get started??

Like you, a few $k down and 30% of my SS would be doable. A lot of good discussion has been found about this, but ultimately, it becomes old and gets lost. What do you and others think about forming a separate group that can
work on this via regular email?
Financing bare land might be easier through the private seller. I've seen this offered often enough. The only glitch might be having multiple borrowers. So, perhaps some sort of legal incorporation might be required to safeguard his interests,

Exactly where/when/restrictions/cost would also be factors. But count me in.

Perhaps this might need to be in its own thread so it doesn't get buried and to let naysayers understand it is not a request for their negativity. :)

I have an acquaintance that wants to acquire land in AZ and start a community. She will be selling 150 Acres with buildings in Alberta to fund her dream. She also wants to incorporate a " food forest ". I think one of the key elements in buying land is zoning that would fit the RV lifestyle.
It would be ideal really, if one person could buy the whole plot... and set it up and manage it, at least initially. Then subdivide and sell parts, and rent others. Did she mention what her land was worth?

I've heard that Apache (NE of Showlow, ~6k ft) and Mojave (NE of Kingman and south of Peach Springs, 4-5k ft) counties in AZ are pretty good with code. Maybe Cochise in the SE corner, which would have the mildest climate I think; plenty of 4-5k ft elevation there. I've also heard that the county where Duncan and Morenci are located (Greenlee?) doesn't have any code enforcement at all, but I never see any land for sale there...

Caballo Loco boondocking area with dump and fill, trash and restrooms with showers as well as pay laundry and propane sales on site $1320 a year. Remote beautiful desert mountains at almost 4,000’ elevation with 8 mile dirt road 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hour drive to stores in Tucson one way. Lots are filling and getting more crowded.

Can you confirm that long term boondocking does *not* require shower and holding tank in your rig? The info on the website doesn't mention any of this.

Caballo Loco office hours are Monday, Wednesday and Friday 10AM til noon I believe and the phone number is (520) 449-0616 give them a call. I was there today and there are tents being used so I would say you are not allowed to dump gray water but why would you with a shower house and dump station? There is a several page lease agreement which allows the owner (a really nice reasonable guy) to decide whether you are welcome or sent on your way. It is a unique community, but again remote and at the end of an 8 mile dirt road in the southern Arizona desert.

They also have some variation of the 10-year rule, even if the tight quarters were appealing. My current van just clicked past the 20-year mark and I would prefer not having to constantly have that hanging over my head.
That happens more than I anticipated. I'm checking out pay RV parks near where I will be traveling and I keep seeing the 10 year rule. Disappointing. Some ask that you send them a photo of your rig to see if they will make an exception.

I haven't see that rule in state parks yet. Anyone know about national parks?

Like you, a few $k down and 30% of my SS would be doable.
30% of my SS leaves me with too little afterward. That is why I want to find a contract for deed property or house. I checked into costs of senior subsidized housing and all require 30% of your income. I don't mind 30% going to something I will own outright, but not for rent.

Anyway, I'm looking for contract for deed, if anyone knows of any. All the ones advertised on FB Marketplace so far, go unanswered.

30% of my SS leaves me with too little afterward. That is why I want to find a contract for deed property or house. I checked into costs of senior subsidized housing and all require 30% of your income. I don't mind 30% going to something I will own outright, but not for rent.

Anyway, I'm looking for contract for deed, if anyone knows of any. All the ones advertised on FB Marketplace so far, go unanswered.
Be careful with contracts for deed or owner-financed sales. You could be scammed if the property does not go through a title search to check for ownership or liens. Also, be careful to check for unreasonable limitations imposed until the property is paid off. I'm not saying to avoid them, just do your due diligence because there is nobody else looking out for you.

Financing bare land might be easier through the private seller. I've seen this offered often enough. The only glitch might be having multiple borrowers. So, perhaps some sort of legal incorporation might be required to safeguard his interests,

Exactly where/when/restrictions/cost would also be factors. But count me in.

Perhaps this might need to be in its own thread so it doesn't get buried and to let naysayers understand it is not a request for their negativity. :)
Ron, Again, good thoughts. Mary-Anne is the one with 150 acres to sell...I will get in touch to see what her land might fetch. Since there is a house, I think, the whole package could get close to 500k. She seems fixed on Arizona for her project, perhaps because of her daughters work. Owner financing sure would be the simplest, especially an owner that had a stake in the reasonable compatibility of the lot owners. Many 'landlords' will require a background check, and possibly a certain credit score.

FYI, I am a little slow in learning how to navigate this site. EG, after 7 months I just discovered the menu on the upper right, and the "messages" icon in the extreme upper right. TBS, I have a couple of Q. 1. Since I started this dialogue with
pm, is your response, and now this response private? 2. How does one create a new thread? And is it private or need to be? I nthink it is not private now bc Ruff and Bullfrog chimed in with great thoughts. Brain empty now :)

BTW, I recently made the acquaintance of a gal in Walla Walla. So searched and the climate seems darn good for 10-12 months of the year. No mugginess during the warm months. What part of the NW are you in? Why do you like it?

Caballo Loco office hours are Monday, Wednesday and Friday 10AM til noon I believe and the phone number is (520) 449-0616 give them a call. I was there today and there are tents being used so I would say you are not allowed to dump gray water but why would you with a shower house and dump station? There is a several page lease agreement which allows the owner (a really nice reasonable guy) to decide whether you are welcome or sent on your way. It is a unique community, but again remote and at the end of an 8 mile dirt road in the southern Arizona desert.
Good thoughts. Thanks for the report. For my money, 4000 ft is just too low , forcing most away during hot months.
That is then just not a solution for those that just 'want to stop'. After 2 decades of adjusting elevation for best temperatures, I am convinced that staying warm at 7000 ft is easier than staying cool on the low desert. Also, one can dress for winter cold for being outdoors, but how do you dress for 105 degrees on the low desert?

You have to be careful renting or leasing to others. Squatting rights, eviction law, etc come into effect in those situations.

Not trying to be negative. I just want to bring awareness to the situation.

For my money, 4000 ft is just too low , forcing most away during hot months.
That is then just not a solution for those that just 'want to stop'. After 2 decades of adjusting elevation for best temperatures, I am convinced that staying warm at 7000 ft is easier than staying cool on the low desert. Also, one can dress for winter cold for being outdoors, but how do you dress for 105 degrees on the low desert?
I live at 7k ft in S NM, so no argument there! On the other hand, the hottest places in AZ seem to be growing rapidly, and most live there all year. 4k ft in S AZ would be mid 90s in the hottest months, cooling into the 60s at night. Afternoon showers are typical and those cool it down when they happen... plus flowers bloom and everything turns green. Summer there isn't that bad. I think southern IL and anyplace south of there is worse in summer.

If you want cooler temperatures look at Apache County in AZ. High 40s in Jan to high 80s in July would be the range at 6k ft.

You have to be careful renting or leasing to others. Squatting rights, eviction law, etc come into effect in those situations.

Not trying to be negative. I just want to bring awareness to the situation.
Thanks, Any kind situation could easily call for a good real estate attorney.