Resident address and REAL ID for Driver's License

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
highdesertranger said:
FYI

Just a updated the State of Nevada has delayed the real ID until sometime in 2023.  However I believe they advise you to get the Real ID if you are New or Renewing.  They have been playing PSA's on Radio Goldfield announcing this.

Highdesertranger

Did not seem like "advising" in November 2015, when I got my NV Real ID in Pahrump. Others at the same time had the same experience, we were required to provide Real ID worthy proof of residence.

Though, allowing a RV Park receipt with a hand written address for address validation seems a bit loose. Not for me, I had to wait for a bank statement mailed to the address. Someone later on was able to use a printed rent receipt with a handwritten address for the park.

Another example was a couple, where each of the partners signed an affidavit testifying that the other partner lived at the park, that was acceptable.

I only deal with the full service DMV in Tonopah, or the DMV inside the Esmeralda (Goldfield) County Building. Goldfield does titles and registrations only. Neither of those places has ever had me wait for more than ten minutes, and the techs have never given me a problem. Pahrump always has a long line and a certain tech looks for ways to screw up my transactions. I heard that if I compliment her cat pictures, she would be nicer. I'd rather drive to Tonopah.

What they are saying is the date for everyone to have a real ID has been extended. Everyone was being mandated to get one by such and such a date, which has come and gone. Now weather they demand you get one if you are new or renewing I don't know. Is that clearer? Highdesertranger

wayne49 said:
Did not seem like "advising" in November 2015, when I got my NV Real ID in Pahrump. Others at the same time had the same experience, we were required to provide Real ID worthy proof of residence.

Though, allowing a RV Park receipt with a hand written address for address validation seems a bit loose. Not for me, I had to wait for a bank statement mailed to the address. Someone later on was able to use a printed rent receipt with a handwritten address for the park.

Another example was a couple, where each of the partners signed an affidavit testifying that the other partner lived at the park, that was acceptable.

I only deal with the full service DMV in Tonopah, or the DMV inside the Esmeralda (Goldfield) County Building. Goldfield does titles and registrations only. Neither of those places has ever had me wait for more than ten minutes, and the techs have never given me a problem. Pahrump always has a long line and a certain tech looks for ways to screw up my transactions. I heard that if I compliment her cat pictures, she would be nicer. I'd rather drive to Tonopah.
LOL!  I'm with you, I'm not gonna compliment any so and so that has no customer service skills ;)  She probably doesn't have to look for ways to screw things up, she sounds like a natural.  Thanks for the warning since I've been looking at Pahrump since Bob so highly recommends it :) If I see cat-photos though, I'll know I need to head for Tonopah :thumbsup:

Out of curiosity, I looked up the California requirements for Real ID. You can be homeless and still get one. Other states as well. Just something to think about instead of jumping through a ton of hoops and worrying too much. There are a lot of newly homeless people from covid. They needed to have provisions for that. California has pushed back Real ID requirement to 2023 as well.

Here is the excerpt from the CA website:

[font=tt-commons, sans-serif]Letter attesting that the applicant resides in California from a homeless shelter, shelter for abused women, non-profit entity, faith-based organization, employer or government agency within the United States[/font]

[font=tt-commons, sans-serif]https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/drive...et-a-real-id/real-id-checklist/[/font][/SIZE]

If you have a (concealed) carry permit make sure it reflects your new address. Minnesota definitely wants the addresses to match.