It's Friday mail forwarding asap

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanvanvanvan123

Reaction score
I have to move quickly and need to protect mail. I will try to go paperless soon... many of my bills are paperless.
I am a newbie, what Ive heard is, DMV needs a "hard address". License doesn't come up for renewal till 2026.
Are there any other instances where I need an actual address?
What is recommended for Mail forwarding, where I am working steadily in San Diego- not traveling as of this date?

A passport solves many problems you may encounter with identification. Get one if you don’t have one while you still have a physical address. There are plenty of threads on mail services here and solutions. Escapees.com has excellent information on domicile and residency issues if you decide to change yours.

A passport solves many problems you may encounter with identification. Get one if you don’t have one while you still have a physical address.
can you recommend a link for passport?

I just noticed another potential issue when no physical address- the Apple Store!! My hunch is they need a Hard Address!

I just looked online for an appointment to go to the office that was at a local post office I believe as it was several years ago.

It should not be at all difficult to find a mail forwarding service with a street address in any large city with a port. There are likely to be a number of such services in the neighborhoods near marinas. The live aboard communities as well as person's whose work is shipping out on vessels also have the need for street address mail forwarding services.

Even small towns with good sized marinas, fishing fleet bases and boat repair yards have that need. I personally have seen quite a few of those private mail box places in Washington and Oregon. Get it setup before you move.

But do be aware of one thing. After you switch to a PMB address the Post office will in the future not provide forwarding from a business address to a new address. It is up to the mail forwarding service to forward the mail. There are valid reasons for that such as in a business it can create chaos and misdirected mail if a former employee tries to forward and inadvertently gets critical business mail sent to them. So be aware in advance once your mail gets sent to such a service it is your personal responsibility to put in changes of address or pay the forwarding service to get mal sent to your change of address. The post office will only forward mail from a residential address and they do know which is which

Getting a real ID using a PMB might not be possible in some places unless the address you use is an actual residence. But sometimes homeless services can arrange it.

Last edited:
Almost a week living in a passenger car.
The post office told me, I don’t need a PO Box. When asked for an address
My address IS ( drum roll ). “NAME GENERAL DELIVERY CITY ST ZIP CODE”
Can “you guys” ( young females say that phrase) comment on this , please? The post office doesn’t have time to explain the whys and wherefores of this kind of address. I assume it is not considered a hard address ; as such, downstream i will
rum into problems with “orgs” that require a hard address. Can someone list those “orgs” that require a hard address and maybe workarounds?
I guess I don’t have to check post office daily but maybe twice a week, unless im
Expecting a delivery.
I’m trying to recall which “organizations” ( sorry, I can’t think of a better word ) still send me mail ( unwanted because I prefer paperless - for environment and for hassle free ) such as bank when they send a new debit card.
Next time I need a new credit card which address will i give ; Name GENERAL DELIVERY or My old address than the bank/ credit card company already have on file ?
It’s seems like I’m in dual address status - old address and general delivery address!!
That’s one example
I’m assuming social security is another and probably a few more.
I would be in even more hell if it weren’t for “you guys” 👍

If you buy online or use a credit card to purchase items that are shipped some sellers will not ship to a P.O. Box or sometimes any address other than the billing address of the credit card. Sometimes you just have to buy elsewhere or contact them and provide them a physical address. We usually use where we are employed or the employer’s warehouse.

General delivery is a time limited service. Usually no more than one month in a full years time at the same post office. After that you are required to rent a PO box from that post office. As they have a limited number of boxes you might run into a situation where there is no available box. So you might have to get on a mailing list. Also it will not function as a residential address which you do need for things such as car insurance, driver's license, passport, bank accounts, etc. You can have some items shipped to a Post office but there are size limits.

Sorry but there is no cheap way out of having a long term functional mailing address unless a friend or family is willing to provide one for free. General delivery does not forward mail

ok. No. Cheap way for long term functional mailing adddrss
So what is a NOT cheap method ?
Thank you for insight

DMV in California has started offering "paperless delivery" to save the trees, so you're good.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehicle-registration/vehicle-registration-renewal/
You will need to maintain the same phone number you register with at DMV if you don't want to wind up like me.

I use a fed ex place that offers personal mailbox services. I have a friend with an "illegal address" that is not served by USPS so that satisfies the feds.

Mail forwarding service would be nice, but so would yesteryear's gas prices.

Most UPS stores offer mailboxes for rent and it can be used as a physical address. (I'm doing this now.). I call the up every week or so, and ask them to check the mailbox. When several items pile up, or I need something delivered in a timely way, they ship to an address near me. I have to pay the ship cost plus a $1 fee. I usually have them mail it to the closest USPS that allows General Delivery (described above.)

Bob Wells recommends Mail Messages & More out of Pahrump, NV as a forwarding service, which can double as a physical address.

As long as I live in Calif ( where the cops are not on our side ) in 2 or 3 years when license renewal comes around .. a NV address won’t help for living and driving in CA.
I wonder if there is a comparable ( in features ) service , as Bob Wells recommends, in California ?
Thank you

re -- register our telephone with California vehicle bureaucrats
Sure.
Our telephone number is '8'.
The government agents need to let it ring, we might be on a Baja beach or howling at the moon or both, it could take a while.
Good thing the government agents get paid by the year, no skin off their nose.
If we had a telephone, but we do not.
Register our telephone.
Good grief.
What next.
PS:
We seek camps with zero-zero-zero cellular telephone signal.
For an idea of the concept, a visit to a cellular telephone seller might show a yuge 'servicing' map on the wall.
If you think you need to find us, look for the blank spots indicating 'no-servicing, appreciate the offer' aka 'wild' zones.
PPS:
Our next howling is around July 13th.
Bring chocolates.

Last edited:
I just acquired ( rented ) a postal annex box. My ca drivers license expires in 2026
But since i have the mailbox rented - is there a good reason to file a change of
address with AAA ? Or just leave it be?