Mail-service & Physical Residence in Pahrump NV sounds good!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G0ldengirl68

Reaction score
Hi all,

Anyone besides Bob (if he is still using Nevada) using Pahrump as their Home-State?  I think I will be choosing Nevada as it has everything I need although, I would have to make sure before I made my choice. 

It's closer to where I would hope to be staying in Winter and possibly Summer too in higher elevations.  Would love to hear from some others that have all their business (residence, mailing address/forwarding, Drivers license and plates, insurance etc, Voters registration) set up in Pahrump.  It just looks like a match for me and my needs if I go Full-timing ;)

There are many, many threads about Pahrump. A forum search on Pahrump would be useful.

There are other States that are more RV/Nomad friendly. Search on "residence" in the Forum.

Times have changed since The Bob used Pahrump. The mail forwarder that he used and recommended, was closed after the owner passed on.

The Nevada DMV requires a valid physical residence for RealID driver licensing. The DMV will accept a mailing address only for communications. Using a random physical address could lead to future legal problems, if you never come back to Pahrump, it may never come up.

One can rent a RV space for a month and use that receipt to get a DL, then never stay in the RV park, ever again. Many people have done in the park I live in. They get their DL and plates then moved on. Some forum members that were here to get the necessary info, got what they needed, never to post again.

A negative is that Nevada bases the annual registration fee on the MSRP of your vehicle. No one ever pays MSRP for a new vehicle. Does not matter that the vehicle is used and greatly depreciated. As long as you have NV plates you will be paying this higher rate.

Had I been aware of this issue I might have gone the route of creating a Montana LLC as the owner of my vehicle(s) and having them legally registered in Montana.

If you are going to spend much time in Nevada, there is good news, Nevada has no income tax. The bad news, they make it up through the higher vehicle registration fees and higher State, County, and Local sales taxes.

Not recommending anything here, just saying that I'm basically a local in the area with almost six years of experience.

I live in Amargosa Valley, close to Pahrump, in a RV park with full hookups, so I have HVAC for hot and cold weather, and a valid physical address for the DMV. I arrived in November 2015 for the 30 days to get my DL, then off to living dispersed in a cargo van. As happens often, real life intervened, and that plan changed. Turns out that I like having a home base, where everybody knows my name. A place to go back to, whenever the RV needs work, or I need a break from the 14 day cycle. Currently, I'm at 134 nights dispersed in 2021, a record for me. For a month or so, I was dispersed about a mile from the park.

Now to the local climate.

The daily highs around that area are in the 100s (up to 117F recently on 2021-07-10 and 2021-07-11) from the end of May to the beginning of October.

December through February, the 10 day average highs are below 60 and the 10 day average lows run 30s to 20s.

Heating is cheaper in the fewer cold months than cooling in the several hot months.

One would need HVAC in some form during either of those periods, or be roaming elsewhere.

When I am out roaming dispersed to avoid the heat, I pay a monthly storage rate for my space and can leave something parked there such as a cargo trailer.

The savings, from not running the AC ($100+/month plus the $120 difference between full rent and storage fee) in my travel trailer, go towards fuel expenses on the open road driving to new places. Some states, such as California, can chew through those savings faster than others.

Sounds like I might better choose my home-State of Oregon. I'm going to re-read all you wrote, and think it all out. I'm going camping on Saturday a.m. with my friends that are going to build my camper. I just talked to them again an hour or so ago. They'll have some feedback/direction for me as well. I did wonder how much had changed since Bob did his blog info ;)

I have time to figure things out, so no hurry. Thank you much for all your info, I do appreciate it :) Denise

Planning to move to Quartzite, AZ late next year. To establish residence in AZ, can you just bring in mail from an RV park, get a mail forwarding service, sign AZ residency Affidavit at the DMV?  Has anyone had this experience in Quartzite AZ? Weather permitting I plan on traveling between Yuma, [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Quartzite,[/font] and Willams AZ.

Residency in Oregon will get you the best health insurance and has a mild climate. You can live in western OR with very little heat expense if you dress warmly. Also there are abundant employment opportunities.

However there is no housing in Oregon, so you will need to bring your camper to live in.
-crofter

You can get onto Oregon's state health insurance plan simply by signing an affidavit stating that you spend a majority of your time somewhere within the state. You don't need to have or provide a physical address.

Auto insurance is trickier, but some providers do allow you to get liability insurance with a process similar to the method described above.

I think "there is no housing in Oregon" is an exaggeration. Sure, the housing market is tight right now, but if you avoid the large cities (Portland, Salem, Eugene), there are still plenty of options. It's a great environment for vandwelling and such, as there's lots of empty space, national forests, BLM land, etc. Plus, there's a law stating that you can legally park anywhere on public lands (including highway rest stops, pllouts, scenic viewpoints, etc.) for sixteen hours.

mkl654321 said:
Plus, there's a law stating that you can legally park anywhere on public lands (including highway rest stops, pllouts, scenic viewpoints, etc.) for sixteen hours.

I didn't know that - thanks!

Latest posts