New Mexico Residency

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zurdo

Reaction score
I imagine this general topic has been discussed in great length in the past so I apologize if I’m duplicating my question. I did a search and didn’t find a specific answer.
I am currently staying in a New Mexico RV park so I could establish NM residency. I got my new drivers license last week!!!
The question I have is, can I use my mail service address as my official domicile address? I will be going back on the road in 4 weeks and I still have to register my vehicle in n NM. When I do the registration, I would also like to do a change of address on my Drivers License too as I will no longer be residing in the RV park.
Is this possible and if it is, is there any downside?

Thanks for any advice!

Brian

There is an Escapee's Club park called "The Ranch" in Lakewood New Mexico (575) 457-2100 that can probably answer your question or give you the contacts you need to find out for sure. Escapee's main office has staff to advise on both domicile and residence.

I am currently staying in a New Mexico RV park so I could establish NM residency. I got my new drivers license last week!!!
The question I have is, can I use my mail service address as my official domicile address?
The mail service address is in another state,right? So it's a question for the NM DMV if you can use an out-of-state address for their communications. If they do allow that, then I think the problem will be with your insurance because they will wonder why you have a non-NM address.

With State Farm I've switched to email only for everything but twice a year they still send renewal cards to a physical address. I'm lucky to have friends whose address I use and they forward my mail to me. Is something like that a possibility for you?

After several years on this forum, I've yet to see someone say that they list an out-of-state mailing address with their DMV so I'm curious to see what answers you get.

Last edited:
New Mexico had a tax on Social Security benefits but that has THANKFULLY been eliminated for those with a total income under $100k.

They do still have a state tax on normal income.

New Mexico had a tax on Social Security benefits but that has THANKFULLY been eliminated for those with a total income under $100k.

They do still have a state tax on normal income.
When over 50% of retirees rely either completely or almost so on their SS benefits to live (barely), it's a crime IMO for states to tax those benefits for folks in the lowest economic brackets. The Fed does as well but starting at a slightly higher income bracket... The way things are going inflation wise in food, shelter, transportation, and medical costs, they're going to have to figure out something to increase a huge swath of senior's income or they're going to have people literally dying to death in the streets with no where to go.

JMHO.

When over 50% of retirees rely either completely or almost so on their SS benefits to live (barely), it's a crime IMO for states to tax those benefits for folks in the lowest economic brackets. The Fed does as well but starting at a slightly higher income bracket... The way things are going inflation wise in food, shelter, transportation, and medical costs, they're going to have to figure out something to increase a huge swath of senior's income or they're going to have people literally dying to death in the streets with no where to go.

JMHO.
From my research, New Mexico only taxes whatever the income level that the Federal Government taxes for Social Security. That being the case, they only tax folks who’s Social Security is more than enough that they can afford to pay taxes. Thankfully they don’t tax us folks on the lower end of the income scale.

The mail service address is in another state,right? So it's a question for the NM DMV if you can use an out-of-state address for their communications. If they do allow that, then I think the problem will be with your insurance because they will wonder why you have a non-NM address.

With State Farm I've switched to email only for everything but twice a year they still send renewal cards to a physical address. I'm lucky to have friends whose address I use and they forward my mail to me. Is something like that a possibility for you?

After several years on this forum, I've yet to see someone say that they list an out-of-state mailing address with their DMV so I'm curious to see what answers you get.
My mailing address isn’t out of state. It is a NM address but it’s obviously not a residence.

Reactions: Sky
I'm interested in being domiciled in New Mexico too. Potential for income from my artwork, but lower cost of living than most places I could say that about.

For Federal Tax on SS income, I found this on the AARP website:

"If your total income is more than $25,000 for an individual or $32,000 for a married couple filing jointly, you must pay federal income taxes on your Social Security benefits. Below those thresholds, your benefits are not taxed. That applies to spousal benefits, survivor benefits and Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) as well as to retirement benefits.

The portion of your benefits subject to taxation varies with income level. You’ll be taxed on:
  • up to 50 percent of your benefits if your income is $25,000 to $34,000 for an individual or $32,000 to $44,000 for a married couple filing jointly.
  • up to 85 percent of your benefits if your income is more than $34,000 (individual) or $44,000 (couple)Say you file individually, have $50,000 in income and get $1,500 a month from Social Security. You would pay taxes on 85 percent of your $18,000 in annual benefits, or $15,300. Nobody pays taxes on more than 85 percent of their Social Security benefits, no matter their income."
New Mexico - "House Bill 163 eliminates taxation on social security, saving New Mexico seniors over $84 million next year. The bill includes a cap for exemption eligibility of $100,000 for single filers and $150,000 for married couples filing jointly."

At this point I need to figure out the same things ZurdoBA is currently working on, License, registration and insurance, while living nomadically and not in a house or apartment with a fixed address. South Dakota has been easy, but it is pretty far from areas I actually spend time in. And I have anxiety about making any insurance claims should that ever come up.

If all else works out, it appears vehicle registration is relatively inexpensive in New Mexico:

Fees for Registering a Vehicle​

The registration fee for passenger vehicles is based on the weight and model year of the vehicle. Registration fees range from $27.00 to $62.00 for a one (1) year registration or $54.00 to $124.00 for a two (2) year registration.

Registration fees for trucks with a declared gross vehicle weight (DGVW) of 26,000 pounds or less are also based on the weight and model year of the vehicle. Registration fees range from $38.00 to $207.00 for a one (1) year registration or $76.00 to $414.00 for a two (2) year registration.

I'm interested in being domiciled in New Mexico too. Potential for income from my artwork, but lower cost of living than most places I could say that about.

"If your total income is more than $25,000 for an individual or $32,000 for a married couple filing jointly, you must pay federal income taxes on your Social Security benefits. Below those thresholds, your benefits are not taxed. That applies to spousal benefits, survivor benefits and Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) as well as to retirement benefits.

The portion of your benefits subject to taxation varies with income level. You’ll be taxed on:
  • up to 50 percent of your benefits if your income is $25,000 to $34,000 for an individual or $32,000 to $44,000 for a married couple filing jointly.
  • up to 85 percent of your benefits if your income is more than $34,000 (individual) or $44,000 (couple)Say you file individually, have $50,000 in income and get $1,500 a month from Social Security. You would pay taxes on 85 percent of your $18,000 in annual benefits, or $15,300. Nobody pays taxes on more than 85 percent of their Social Security benefits, no matter their income."
New Mexico - "House Bill 163 eliminates taxation on social security, saving New Mexico seniors over $84 million next year. The bill includes a cap for exemption eligibility of $100,000 for single filers and $150,000 for married couples filing jointly."

At this point I need to figure out the same things ZurdoBA is currently working on, License, registration and insurance, while living nomadically and not in a house or apartment with a fixed address. South Dakota has been easy, but it is pretty far from areas I actually spend time in. And I have anxiety about making any insurance claims should that ever come up.
Thanks GM!

If all else works out, it appears vehicle registration is relatively inexpensive in New Mexico:

Fees for Registering a Vehicle​

The registration fee for passenger vehicles is based on the weight and model year of the vehicle. Registration fees range from $27.00 to $62.00 for a one (1) year registration or $54.00 to $124.00 for a two (2) year registration.

Registration fees for trucks with a declared gross vehicle weight (DGVW) of 26,000 pounds or less are also based on the weight and model year of the vehicle. Registration fees range from $38.00 to $207.00 for a one (1) year registration or $76.00 to $414.00 for a two (2) year registration.
It is relatively inexpensive to drive a vehicle here. Significantly less than my home state of Michigan. The downside is, I have a small travel trailer, in Michigan the license plate is permanent and only has a small one-time fee but NM you have to register an “RV” yearly just like an automobile.
BA

I used to be a photographer but quit due to health issues 4-5 years ago. I’m also possibly considering trying to sell prints of my work here for n NM.

My auto insurance went way down too! My home state of MI has some of the highest rates in the US and it was a bonus that my insurance is now almost half of what I used to pay.

It is relatively inexpensive to drive a vehicle here. Significantly less than my home state of Michigan. The downside is, I have a small travel trailer, in Michigan the license plate is permanent and only has a small one-time fee but NM you have to register an “RV” yearly just like an automobile.
BA

Well, it looks to be easy and actually gets a bit of a discount to renew online in New Mexico. Where I'm currently living in California, you are required to get your vehicle emissions checked every other year and submit that with your renewal and fees.

I see a lot of vehicles in Mexico that are registered in South Dakota because you never have to actually return there to register or renew.

I have to return to Mississippi in the fall for my final year teaching at a university there. I just called the DMV and was quoted a cost of $720. to register my cargo van for a year there. Its based upon a percentage of MSRP. I'll probably have to submit to it as well, otherwise the harassment from local police will be off the charts. They are very aggressive in securing funding from out of state drivers. I'll be living in my van and have found it is best to do whatever you can to blend it and not attract any attention to yourself. Might even see if I can secure an NRA decal and a bumper sticker saying "God Bless Our Troops" as camouflage.

Well, it looks to be easy and actually gets a bit of a discount to renew online in New Mexico. Where I'm currently living in California, you are required to get your vehicle emissions checked every other year and submit that with your renewal and fees.

I see a lot of vehicles in Mexico that are registered in South Dakota because you never have to actually return there to register or renew.

I have to return to Mississippi in the fall for my final year teaching at a university there. I just called the DMV and was quoted a cost of $720. to register my cargo van for a year there. Its based upon a percentage of MSRP. I'll probably have to submit to it as well, otherwise the harassment from local police will be off the charts. They are very aggressive in securing funding from out of state drivers. I'll be living in my van and have found it is best to do whatever you can to blend it and not attract any attention to yourself. Might even see if I can secure an NRA decal and a bumper sticker saying "God Bless Our Troops" as camouflage.
New Mexico follows California emissions standards so they require inspection every other year also.
I lived in Mississippi for work in 2004 & 2005 and was absolutely shocked at the registration fee. I kept my registration as Michigan and never got pulled over. In Michigan, it is high (c. $210/yr) but not nearly as high as MS. In MI, we call it the “Birthday Tax”!

Where I'm currently living in California, you are required to get your vehicle emissions checked every other year and submit that with your renewal and fees.
New Mexico follows California emissions standards so they require inspection every other year also.
I lived in Mississippi for work in 2004 & 2005 and was absolutely shocked at the registration fee. I kept my registration as Michigan and never got pulled over. In Michigan, it is high (c. $210/yr) but not nearly as high as MS. In MI, we call it the “Birthday Tax”!
Strangely enough, I received this via email this morning because I subscribe to the daily ABQ air quality alerts.
https://mailchi.mp/cabq/air-quality...formation-hearings-update-350834?e=8c6c08b646

My mailing address isn’t out of state. It is a NM address but it’s obviously not a residence.
Check with DMV if you can use a separate mailing address. Four years ago I considered NM residency but couldn't find a decent mailing service. Which one do you use?