Maintaining Domicile?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And when you are a vagabond, where does the vehicle live?

I was mostly thinking of having car license and insurance with a family member in IL (real address), and domicile closer to where I'll be camped (NV or UT), so I can have health insurance there. No idea if that is possible...
I'll speak from my personal experience. Our class A is insured with State Farm. They asked if it was our primary residence. Though it didn't apply to us, they are prepared to handle that situation. The insured location is determined by the vehicle's registration/tags.

I am not sure I understand the intent of your domicile. Our second home is in IL with matching vehicle registration and insurance. My driver's license and primary car is registered and insured in FL and matches our primary home. My marketplace heath insurance is also FL based, but I chose a plan that had reasonably priced out of network (out of state) coverage.

My marketplace heath insurance is also FL based, but I chose a plan that had reasonably priced out of network (out of state) coverage.
Can you tell me more about that? The plans I looked at only cover emergencies out of network... and I know from my experience and the experience of others, the difficulty in proving an "emergency" (ie you would have died) is a loophole big enough for insurance companies to drive a truck through...

Can you tell me more about that? The plans I looked at only cover emergencies out of network... and I know from my experience and the experience of others, the difficulty in proving an "emergency" (ie you would have died) is a loophole big enough for insurance companies to drive a truck through...

I am very mobile, so it was essential that my plan have out of network coverage. My objective is not to minimize my yearly health care expenditures. My goal is to have insurance so that in the event something major happens it doesn't cause financial hardship.

PPOs allow patients to go out of network so long as they are willing to foot a higher percentage of the bill. In addition, PPO premiums are higher than HMO or EPO. I am willing to pay for flexibility.

I have a Florida Blue PPO plan that pays 50% of out of network cost. An emergency room visit cost a flat $500. My out of pocket max is $4000, at which point insurance covers the whole tab for the rest of that year regardless of network. In the 12 years that I've had marketplace insurance, this has happened once.

Here's a good explanation of the various types of plans:
https://www.aetna.com/health-guide/hmo-pos-ppo-hdhp-whats-the-difference.html