Best states for "Home Address" for car registration, driver's license, mailing address, low taxes, and remote working online & taxes?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Off-Topic:
We do this for a living.
We have a half-century of experience doing the opposite of everything in your post.

Our paths may be similar. You were investing in real estate during the double digit interest rate 80s. As a youth, I began reading about real estate, and the books were written during that period.

I read the book "Your Money Or Your Life" that started the FIRE movement when I was in high school. My first job was being the property manager of the building I was living in when I was in college. I bought my first rental property shortly after I graduated. Sometime in my late 20s, I was fired due to poor performance and decided not to get another job. I've lived solely off my rental income ever since.

I don't think we disagree about the economics of real estate (though we probably hold different political views). I do not believe that home prices (in general/aggregate) are going to drop significantly. Over the long run, inflation alone makes the nominal price of houses increase and the time value of money means an amortizing mortgage is being paid back with cheaper dollars.

Housing affordability is only a metric. A better measure is the result, homeownership rates. This varies over time, the biggest predictors are ethnicity and geography.
https://fredblog.stlouisfed.org/202..._term=related_resources&utm_campaign=fredblog
I believe the Chinese proverb, "The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago, the second best time is now" is applicable to real estate. Regardless of interest rates, it's always a good time to buy real estate. Periods of economic uncertainty (like we're in now) are great times to buy real estate. I've bought properties this year and expect to buy more over the coming months.

I chose my place of residence based on where I wanted to spend time. In my case, that was on a lazy tropical island. A van will always be my preferred means of transport, but never a permanent home. For me, its not about traveling, its about staying in different places. I totally understand why the super wealthy have multiple homes. If only I could figure out how to do that on a pauper's income...

Last edited:
^^^Seasonal work with housing or in our case an old motorhome starting out, did that for us! Lol!!!

Would you mind sharing the general area... you’re speaking of?...
By 'sharing', if you mean 'do you have space for another set of strong hands and yet another weak mind?', that would be a 'no'.
If by 'sharing', you mean 'blather on and on about the gig and area', I could work that into my busy schedule...
We workkamp a small organic teaching farm near the outskirts of Eugene, Oregon.
We share the acreage with a couple-three dozen other workkampers in various versions of RecreateVehicles and home-made HouseTrucks.
Unfortunately for those seeking a do-nothing retirement, we are on-site on-duty 24/7/360°.
Between tending the stock -- goats and swine -- and greenhouses, we deliver to local-owned family-operated grocers plus have stands at farmer markets every day of the week.
In addition, we have a good working relationship with family-operated fishing boat crews on the coast... primarily for fresh salmon on ice.
And if that all still seems like a permanent vacation, I snagged the opportunity to maintain the propane gensets for our chillers.
And I enjoy fiddling with our fleet of ancient Dodge Cummins pick-up trucks.
We are discussing the utility of purchasing a used firetruck.
Our stipulations:
* Common Off-The-Shelf (COTS) components,
* 4x4 or 6x6,
* sirens! and lights! and a lot of authority! going down the road.
Welcome to my 'big retirement'.
As Humphrey Bogart says in CASABLANCA after he is asked his reasons for living in North Afrika:
"I came for the waters..."
The Inspector counters "Waters? What waters? We are in the desert!"
A slightly chastened but resilient Bogart sighs "I was misinformed..."

Well, Hello, Genesis! I'm currently camped out by Nemo (SD). Black Hills are beautiful, aren't they? Peace.
Pactola reservoir. Best trout fishing
By 'sharing', if you mean 'do you have space for another set of strong hands and yet another weak mind?', that would be a 'no'.
If by 'sharing', you mean 'blather on and on about the gig and area', I could work that into my busy schedule...
We workkamp a small organic teaching farm near the outskirts of Eugene, Oregon.
We share the acreage with a couple-three dozen other workkampers in various versions of RecreateVehicles and home-made HouseTrucks.
Unfortunately for those seeking a do-nothing retirement, we are on-site on-duty 24/7/360°.
Between tending the stock -- goats and swine -- and greenhouses, we deliver to local-owned family-operated grocers plus have stands at farmer markets every day of the week.
In addition, we have a good working relationship with family-operated fishing boat crews on the coast... primarily for fresh salmon on ice.
And if that all still seems like a permanent vacation, I snagged the opportunity to maintain the propane gensets for our chillers.
And I enjoy fiddling with our fleet of ancient Dodge Cummins pick-up trucks.
We are discussing the utility of purchasing a used firetruck.
Our stipulations:
* Common Off-The-Shelf (COTS) components,
* 4x4 or 6x6,
* sirens! and lights! and a lot of authority! going down the road.
Welcome to my 'big retirement'.
As Humphrey Bogart says in CASABLANCA after he is asked his reasons for living in North Afrika:
"I came for the waters..."
The Inspector counters "Waters? What waters? We are in the desert!"
A slightly chastened but resilient Bogart sighs "I was misinformed..."
My “downfall” Was reading Thoreau when I was very young. The minimalist bug here and never let go. Of course it took 70 years before I did it but I did it.

No I’m not looking to share. Although I do identify with weak mind but I also have weak hands. I might be qualified mentally and physically as a caretaker for a banana slug!

I was looking however for the general area where you were located and you gracefully provided that.

Thanks very much

Wow! This thread took a hard turn..... way off topic.

I have a PMB with America's Mailbox in SD. My address that I give CC companies or my employment either just has the # of my PMB, or I use apt# xxxx (PMB #). I never use the "PMB".

I have a trailer that I use half the year, and my rig, and DL are all South Dakota.

All my credit cards, work address, everything goes through SD. Never had any issues.

I know this is a forum, and giving opinions is great, but please stay on topic, I don't care how you feel about politics, or any of that other crap.

I have a trailer that I use half the year, and my rig, and DL are all South Dakota.
(y) Thanks for the info! Would you be willing to provide more detail?

Pull trailer or parked? What do you do the other half of the year? What's a PMB? When you say "everything goes through SD" I assume you are talking about the address of the PMB, and then they relay it to you somehow?

Wow! This thread took a hard turn..... way off topic.
I know this is a forum, and giving opinions is great, but please stay on topic, I don't care how you feel about politics, or any of that other crap.

Ok, valid point.

In my opinion, the most important thing isn't where your home address is, but rather that the home address is valid. The reprocussions of using an illegitimate address can be serious, like an insurance company denying your claim. In other cases what is trying to be avoided can't be, like having to pay taxes on money earned in a state regardless of your state of residence. Over the course of a decade, I've used POBs in 3 states. There are numerous occasions where a POB is unacceptable, and increasingly I'm encountering instances where it doesn't pass online verification or a government office won't mail to it.

So the question really becomes what's the cheapest way to have a valid home address. The most obvious way to accomplish this is to use family or friends. The next cheapest is to rent a room (or even a driveway). This can be done for less than $200 in many areas. Many people would find having a roommate that's rarely there to be desirable. It's nice to have a home base to return to as desired. But if you really don't want a room, you could just rent the address. There are numerous roommate/room for rent websites.

Last year, I needed to stay in the Poughkeepsie area for 6 months with my class A. I asked around and found a roadside farmer who let me park my RV on his land, complete with electrical hookup and access to water. He was happy to receive an extra $150 per month.

PMB stands for "personal mailbox". I use a trailer for half the year because of the area I travel in. In the summer I keep a motorcycle in it. The other half I keep it in storage.

I will be switching to Texas next year. I am only switching because I work on a boat in Louisiana. I am always in Texas, and they have the same benefits. In Texas, you have to get your rig inspected, but they will stop in 2025.