Washington Domicile & Mail

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't forget that WA state doesn't fully comply with RealSpyD yet so keep your passport current until you are required to cough up that paperwork. That's why for now it was so easy.

Headache said:
Don't forget that WA state doesn't fully comply with RealSpyD yet so keep your passport current until you are required to cough up that paperwork. That's why for now it was so easy.

So long as my passport is valid I see no reason to have a “RealSpyD”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real Spy ID is a play on Real ID. Real ID is the federally recognized ID card or D.L. that requires proof of citizenship to obtain. WA, like a handful of other states, requires no such proof to obtain a state ID or D.L.
They feel it goes against their sanctuary city/ state ideology and is discriminatory to illegal immigrants.
Soon, most likely next year, if you don't have a Real ID, you will not be allowed to fly from your home state to another, among other things.
The feds have already bumped the mandatory compliance date back a couple of times.
You can get a REAL ID in WA but it is more expensive and a lengthy process, akin to getting a passport.
REAL ID acts as a passport when going to Canada as well, if the Canadians will have you, that is.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

If you've got a passport you don't need the REALID. And you won't in the future either.
I believe...

I think the days of crossing any US borders without a full passport are long gone

John61CT said:
I think the days of crossing any US borders without a full passport are long gone

An enhanced drivers licence will work as will a passport card but all that is easy to check on yourself, google it. This is important stuff,  important stuff needs to be actually checked out .

I asked google "what documents are needed to get back into the usa from mexico
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

[size=medium]What types of documents are accepted for entry into the United States via land and sea?[/size]
  • U.S. citizens can present a valid: U.S. Passport; Passport Card; Enhanced Driver’s License; [size=medium]Trusted Traveler Programhttps://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST); U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders; U.S. Merchant Mariner document when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business; or Form I-872 American Indian Card, or (when available) Enhanced Tribal Card.[/size]

In WA state enhanced ID=Real ID. Expect to bring a lot of paperwork and be there for a while.
I went to get one a couple of years ago. I made an appointment was told to expect a 45 minute processing time after an approximate 30 min wait. I got there 2 hours early and ended up being told to come back later.
The line was backed up with people who didn't know a word of English, from multiple countries and ethnicities, trying to sneak through the regular ID/DL process quicker.
I ended up just renewing my regular license and being completely frustrated with the whole system.
I had everything necessary for the process, had an appointment etc... but ended up being turned away because others claimed ignorance of the English language and were accommodated without regard to others who had their shit together.
If you go for a real/ enhanced ID in a sanctuary city, show up WAY early and expect to be there all day because U.S. citizenship means you get pushed back to accommodate non citizens.
It's an unfortunate fact of some areas due to the political climate of the past few years.
(Not a political post, just relating my experience)

mattboyrd said:
If you've got a passport you don't need the REALID. And you won't in the future either.
I believe...

Not true.  Washington and a handful of other states got extensions to sort out how they want to implement it.  Eventually you will be required to have it and your passport can be used as one of the required documents.

mattboyrd said:
If you go for a real/ enhanced ID in a sanctuary city, show up WAY early and expect to be there all day because U.S. citizenship means you get pushed back to accommodate non citizens.
It's an unfortunate fact of some areas due to the political climate of the past few years.
(Not a political post, just relating my experience)

You can go outside the city to do it if you want.  I was pleasantly surprised how quickly I was in and out in Bellevue.  I was also particularly pleased with how much my crap looking van added to the bland expensive parking lot.   /giggle

I've never been delayed because of non- citizens.  If it's too busy I wait or go elsewhere.  Then again the ones I've been to didn't require appointments.