Washington Domicile & Mail

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chongolio

Reaction score
I’ve decided on using Washington as my home state because of it’s proximity to family in Oregon and the lack of income tax among other things.

I did nail down a physical mailing address but don’t want to burden my friends any longer than needed with dealing with my mail after I get my driver’s license and registration dialed in.

Does anybody have any advice, tips or recommendations for mail forwarding services in South/ South East Washington state? Or how to avoid getting into hot water after I stop using the temporary address.

I have heard there are folks living on islands in WA that don’t have physical addresses that have gotten driver’s licenses but have not found much info on how they are pulling that off or if in fact it is even possible nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once it is established I wouldn't worry about it. I am still "registered" as living at my old house that my parents sold in November. I have always had a separate mailing address because mail wasn't delivered out there so when I moved into my RV and left Wyoming I just changed my mailing address to where I paid for a local PMB.

After I lost my house to foreclosure in Washington State I transitioned to Colorado in 2010. I kept my absentee voting for four years, but I switched driver's license down here relatively quickly - to a family member's address which was also lost to foreclosure. I suspect that you'll be okay with either a P.O.Box or a PMB, using your friends for the few things that are more strict.

That is to say, I didn't have any problems.

DuneElliot said:
Once it is established I wouldn't worry about it. I am still "registered" as living at my old house that my parents sold in November. I have always had a separate mailing address because mail wasn't delivered out there so when I moved into my RV and left Wyoming I just changed my mailing address to where I paid for a local PMB.

Great! Thanks for that input. I may sleep a bit better tonight [emoji12]

DLTooley said:
After I lost my house to foreclosure in Washington State I transitioned to Colorado in 2010. I kept my absentee voting for four years, but I switched driver's license down here relatively quickly - to a family member's address which was also lost to foreclosure. I suspect that you'll be okay with either a P.O.Box or a PMB, using your friends for the few things that are more strict.

That is to say, I didn't have any problems.

Thanks for your feedback. I will now move on to over thinking something else [emoji6]

I'm still "living" in Washington. Now that it's harder for nomads to get boxes here is what you will need:

At least 2 forms of ID one of which is your drivers license to cover the photo ID part. You'll also need something addressed to you with your friends address on it such as utility bills. Your cell phone now qualifies as will your wifi plan if you have separate. If you get Social Security they may also accept your benefit letter. This establishes that you appear to really live at that address.

I then went to the UPS Store in the town I had been living in using mail from the house I was about to be kicked out from to establish a new mailing address. I've also switched over my Social Security to that address. I now "live" at that address.

Check out the closest box rentals to you. I chose the UPS Store because they will forward my mail to wherever I am. This was important for me because I'm looking for property in other states.

I went to a private mail box & shipping service in my town (Shelton) & signed up.  When I want my mail I call & give her an address, she mails me the stuff.
It does take a yearly fee & I pay for the postage but I have a mailing address in WA.

Headache said:
I'm still "living" in Washington. Now that it's harder for nomads to get boxes here is what you will need:

At least 2 forms of ID one of which is your drivers license to cover the photo ID part. You'll also need something addressed to you with your friends address on it such as utility bills. Your cell phone now qualifies as will your wifi plan if you have separate. If you get Social Security they may also accept your benefit letter. This establishes that you appear to really live at that address.

I then went to the UPS Store in the town I had been living in using mail from the house I was about to be kicked out from to establish a new mailing address. I've also switched over my Social Security to that address. I now "live" at that address.

Check out the closest box rentals to you. I chose the UPS Store because they will forward my mail to wherever I am. This was important for me because I'm looking for property in other states.

Several pieces of mail that you mentioned are en route to my friend’s house as I type.

My plan is too get up to WA grab the docs, get my license and vehicle registered and get another address at a P.O or mail forwarder set up. Hopefully all within a day or two.

Thanks for your reply!

becida said:
I went to a private mail box & shipping service in my town (Shelton) & signed up.  When I want my mail I call & give her an address, she mails me the stuff.
It does take a yearly fee & I pay for the postage but I have a mailing address in WA.

Thanks for that input.

I am going to get some quotes from different forwarders as to get an idea of the different options.

First I need to get my bearing and regroup from my move.

I lived in Lacey, WA back in 2008-20010. I set up my UPS Store mailbox as soon as I had something that had my current address up there because as a single woman living alone I never use my geographical address for anything I can help, even before becoming mobile. I moved 3 times while I was there, but the mailing address stayed the same. I then moved to Honduras for a couple of years, keeping my address at the same UPS store. The Motor Vehicle place is right next door. I did everything by mail, with them sending me a packet of received mail about every month when I would email and ask for it. Lacey doesn't (or didn't back then anyway) have emissions testing, so I renewed my Jeep plates and everything via mail. My Jeep was stored in MO at the time, near my Mom. It was expensive in a relative way, but it served me well.

shadowmoss said:
Lacey doesn't (or didn't back then anyway) have emissions testing, so I renewed my Jeep plates and everything via mail.

Good on you to bring that up.  My address is in unincorporated Snohomish county so I'm not required to do any of that either.

Headache said:
Good on you to bring that up.  My address is in unincorporated Snohomish county so I'm not required to do any of that either.

According to the WA DMV website motorcycles and vehicles over 10 years old are exempt from vehicle inspections.

So I should be good with all that biz.

Chongolio said:
According to the WA DMV website motorcycles and vehicles over 10 years old are exempt from vehicle inspections.  
So I should be good with all that biz.
What kind of 'inspection' were you talking about  - VIN ?, Safety?, or Emissions?

our '04 Honda van (which always passed in excellent condition) was required to pass
yet more Emissions-tests in 2015, & 2017. 
Officially, it now says: Certain motor vehicles are exempt from smog checks in Washington at this time. These include:
  • Motor vehicles less than five years old or more than 25 years old.
  • Vehicles with a model year of 2009 and newer.
the Unofficial explanation for that was "remember, we live in the Soviet of Washington"
that explains everything.

Annie W said:
What kind of 'inspection' were you talking about  - VIN ?, Safety?, or Emissions?

our '04 Honda van (which always passed in excellent condition) was required to pass
yet more Emissions-tests in 2015, & 2017. 
Officially, it now says: Certain motor vehicles are exempt from smog checks in Washington at this time. These include:
  • Motor vehicles less than five years old or more than 25 years old.
  • Vehicles with a model year of 2009 and newer.
the Unofficial explanation for that was "remember, we live in the Soviet of Washington"
that explains everything.

I was referring to emissions. That being said, I have been finding more and more discrepancies across the web regarding driver’s license and inspection requirements.

I will find out for certain when I go to Washington this Tuesday to get my license and vehicles registered.

Chongolio said:
I was referring to emissions. That being said, I have been finding more and more discrepancies across the web regarding driver’s license and inspection requirements.

I will find out for certain when I go to Washington this Tuesday to get my license and vehicles registered.

Some locations require smog checks & some don't, I believe it goes by county.

Usually, the bigger populated counties require emissions and maybe neighboring counties too. At least that is how it works in Texas.

I live in WA. When I go full time van living I’m using a close friends address as my permanent address.

I finally made it into a Washington DMV to get my license and motorcycle registration taken care of.

It could not of gone any smoother (apart from totaling my van a few days earlier, but that an entirely different story in a separate thread.)

I had filled out an online pre-application on the Washington.gov website a few weeks ago then printed out my confirmation letter that was sent via email.

I took the confirmation letter and my out of state DL to the counter.

The clerk asked to see another form of ID since my license was a temp from Hawaii.

I showed her my passport and she asked me if I lived in Washington I said “ yup” and was given a WA temp license and told my permanent one will be mailed out in a few weeks.

At no point was I asked to show proof of residency.

I then registered my motorcycle and left happy that I am legally driving and now an official Washington resident.

I'm based out of Seattle and they honestly don't ask for much proof in the way of address at the dmv.
As far as mail goes, there's a great place in Pike Place Market that I used for awhile when I was moving quite a bit.
It's called, appropriately, Wanderers Mail Service

http://www.wanderersmailservices.com

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

mattboyrd said:
I'm based out of Seattle and they honestly don't ask for much proof in the way of address at the dmv.
As far as mail goes, there's a great place in Pike Place Market that I used for awhile when I was moving quite a bit.
It's called, appropriately, Wanderers Mail Service

http://www.wanderersmailservices.com

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing that info!