AZ residency at Coyote Howls East???

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WriterMs

Reaction score
Since this section includes mail handling, I thought it might be best for my inquiry into how others have found Coyote Howls to be for a residency in AZ? I'm told that most snowbirds have left the area as it heats up, but I have just become able to hit the road again after being in the South and waiting until I got my inherited home sold.

So, I am late in the season, but have in mind to rent at Coyote Howls East for a year so that I actually do have a physical address. As Bob pointed out in a video and blog, it is about as cheap as one could find for any sort of physical address year-round. I do not intend to actually stay there once I have gotten my residency documents (except maybe a bit next winter). So I guess I will suffer through some hot days for a few weeks? The campground also begins to limit the office hours in April and then in May actually closes down some amenities like the shower rooms... the woman I spoke with told me these things since they are not mentioned at all on the website.

I am hoping I like it okay as a general base of my nomadic life. I have only a few things I will need to store (like out of season clothing) until I manage to cull out even more of those sorts of things. I found storage at the nearby "Why Not?" travel center. Again, if anyone has experience with this business, please give me your opinion or warning or thumbs up.

The Pahrump area is my backup plan if the cheap campground just does not have the right vibes for me.

Oh, and did anyone know that you must rent for a month at Coyote Howls while they decide if you are the right sort to get a year's lease on a camping spot? That was news to me as well.

Thanks for any input. Tonight I"m in Hammond, LA, so it will take me a few days to actually get to Why, AZ.

WriterMs said:
"... then in May actually closes down some amenities like the shower rooms... the woman I spoke with told me these things since they are not mentioned at all on the website. ..."

"... you must rent for a month at Coyote Howls while they decide if you are the right sort to get a year's lease on a camping spot?   ..."

Thanks for the May tip since I was thinking of checking it out around that time!

After watching Bob's video, I called Coyote Howls to rent a year. It was suggested to me to rent for a month to "... see if it was right for me ..." So it seems it was a veiled way of saying what you had stated (i.e., I'm being checked out rather than the other way around. :huh: ).

I have friends with annual leases at Coyote Howls East and right now I'm camped two miles away at Gunsight Wash (BLM land). I don't know what your needs are for a "general base," but Why and Ajo are rather isolated. The way I travel around it would be much more useful if it were more centrally located in the West. As it is, it's a detour off to the fringe. But that's just my view of it. CHE might be fine if all you really want is an address and someplace to store things. Some of the annual lease lots already have storage sheds left by previous lessees.

Right now it's in the mid to upper 80s with April usually in the 90s. The Canadians at CHE have been leaving more because of Immigration's tourist limitations than because of the weather. I think others are just eager to see more of the country now that cold is leaving.

I agree that the location is not all that great out on the "fringe" of normal travel routes for most of us. I think the big attraction for me is that it is the cheapest way I have found (so far) of having a physical address that is actually mine versus renting in a campground somewhere "nicer" for a month and then just pretending that I still "live" at that campground address when it is not true. (And, yep, I've heard goodie two shoes mentioned with my name more than once :D )

I doubt I'd be there more than a month or two in any given year as my plan is to travel with the weather and boondock in pretty locations. It would be fairly close for RTRs each winter, too.

Another thing I'm remembering the woman I spoke with emphasizing is that since it is a "business address," the post office will not accept forwarding requests for your mail. In other words, if you move, you have to advise anyone sending you mail there yourself as the post office won't do any forwarding to your new address. So a mailing service seems another added cost, but I use a good one in SD now, so that is an expense built into my budget.

WriterMs said:
a mailing service seems another added cost
It is very rare to get a reasonable and secure legal domicile address and a good mail forwarding service from the same source.

Since the latter type of business can get blacklisted anytime (as a domicile location) by the database services, I actually reckon it's better to keep them separate.

BAMA said:

Thanks BAMA. I had intended to look at one of the escapees websites to see how they handle the physical address. It looks similar to the SD thing where you sign a statement that you intend to "one day" settle in SD. Texas also has a legal "intent" statement you must sign.

But, and this is somewhat funny to me right now, I have spent two days so far trying so hard to escape the parking lots in TX otherwise known as Interstate 10. Construction zone traffic that slows to stop and go for miles and miles and then you come out of it with no apparent reason there had been a reason to slow down like that. Sometimes you find an exit at the end of the stop and go where evidently merging into the interstate has caused everyone to stop and gawk???

And then today, I learned after hours in the hot afternoon trying to get out and around San Antonio that it is evidently a final four weekend and the games are in San Antionio. Who knew? Certainly not me. (and, yes, I care not that I had no idea of it except I would have headed back up to I-20 or I-40 for the trip west)

Anyway, I'm venting about being in TX only because your link was to the Escapees club here. LOL .

I did find it interesting to learn what they do, so thanks again BAMA.

ratfink56 said:
I totally understand their viewpoint.

jimindenver said:
I think it would be a good idea for both parties.

After posting, I realized it makes lots of sense to check each other out; though in my anxiousness to secure residency quickly, my thoughts got myopic.

Like someone had suggested somewhere on the forum, it seems easier to buy some land?

There is NEVER a good time to go thru San Antonio or Houston.

At least Houston is pretty much a straight shot. I go around SA on 1604. Slower but easier to navigate.

B and C said:
At least Houston is pretty much a straight shot.  I go around SA on 1604.  Slower but easier to navigate.

I did the 1604 and still had major stop and go the last half of the loop. Got on I-10 NW of the loop and thought it was open... but it was for only a couple of miles and then a huge other stop and go mess began. Thought my van might blow up! Every lane of traffic from every little shopping area was FULL trying to get on to the main roads which were also full and not moving. A nightmare.

How do people live like that? Think of the wasted fuel and time and the environmental damage.... geesh.. guess that is why most of our tribe don't live like that. Yay, us!

Gardenias said:
After posting, I realized it makes lots of sense to check each other out; though in my anxiousness to secure residency quickly, my thoughts got myopic.

Like someone had suggested somewhere on the forum, it seems easier to buy some land?

Unless you want to sink some serious money into land, I feel it is not easier. If you buy, you have to know zoning as most places won't let you park your own RV on your land except while you build a house, etc., etc. And then you have to pay property taxes. And how do you find the right land?

I talked with Donna at the office today. I asked about Mr. Noodly's idea of a space with a shed already on it. She said they had none at this time. Also good I checked as the other woman I talked with said they would be open from 8 till noon on Wednesday. But Donna needs Wednesday off, so she switched the day open to Tuesday.

Major holiday weekend too. That always adds to the traffic as people try to get out of town. Stay put until Monday. Everyone is going home on Sunday afternoon.

My favorite time to drive through high traffic metro areas is 2-5AM