Resident address and REAL ID for Driver's License

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G0ldengirl68

Reaction score
Hi all,

I read Bill's Blog on the Residence Address and it was excellent info, well written and helped me so much!  I do have a couple of questions for me personally, my situation. Here's the link to his wonderful info: https://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/...al-residence-address-real-id-drivers-license/

I am living on my Social Security, and hope to be moving out of my apartment at some point soon, to go full-timing, that's the dream-plan :)  But right now, according to Bill's article, is the time to get a REAL ID card.  So I read up on California's DMV facts and it will be easy for me to do as far as I can tell.  Just show them the documents of citizenship etc.

I have yet to read the mail forwarding info, but it's next.  My SS is auto-deposited into my US Bank.  All other payments I make are done online.  I have all paperless billing.  Keeping my residence address here in CA, but live between AZ (for example) in the Winter, and Oregon, in the Summers is what I want to do because I receive SSI for being over 65, and SSP (State Supplemental Payment) to help pay the extra for my Medicare.

Another thing that is a separate topic, but I'll mention here anyway, is I am on Medicaid (called Medical in CA) and don't want to lose that.  Not unless I have another choice.

Anyone in a similar situation that can tell me how it all works out when full-time residency is Nowhere, USA? 

Other suggested articles are very welcome, and I do know I need to read the Mail Forwarding info, even though I don't get much mail, if any :huh:

I believe there have been discussions here before on keeping Medicaid if you are traveling the country, so you might do a search on that.

If you have to do periodic redetermination, your ability to finance travel might come into question.

If finances are at all tight, one of the things important to consider before heading out full time is the need for a good $5,000 or so in a savings account, which is critical.

Plus a means to replenish that savings if you have to pull from it.

Vans and other rigs break down, repairs can be costly and have you stuck in place if you don’t have a means to fix whatever has broken down.

Just sayin’, these are realities.

If finances are tight but you really have the traveling bug, perhaps do some long weekends as you see how other things are going to shake out.

Good luck to you.

Medicaid is I believe state administered so you would need to check with them as to what their requirements are depending on what your state of residence is. Escapees club site can give you some info and contacts possibly.

Thanks bullfrog, yes, figured it out by just going to ssa.gov.  Some States have the SSI/SSP like Nevada, and several others.  I'm just going to have to decide which State I want to call home-base where I can vote, have my Driver's License changed to.  I'm reading about texas now, but Bob really loves Nevada.  I like what he says about that State.  Oregon is my home-State, I mean I was born and raised there, just ended up living in California. 

Thanks again for your help :)

Escapees main office is in Livingston Texas at their park Rainbow's End. They make Texas easy and have added South Dakota and Florida as well I believe.

With an old vehicle you have to keep in mind that TX requires an annual inspection.

If it's in good shape and TX will regularly be in your travel plans, then no problem.

slow2day said:
With an old vehicle you have to keep in mind that TX requires an annual inspection.

If it's in good shape and TX will regularly be in your travel plans, then no problem.
Tx used to (probably still does) allow travelers to get the inspection done once they've come back in state. The Escapees or the DMV website will tell you about Tx.

Inspections are not much to be concerned with unless you are in a smog county. The # of cracked windshields, too dark tinted front windows (and windshields), headlights out on cars/vans/trucks I saw in Tx for 6 yrs there told me that they aren't very "fussy".

But then we are just presuming the OP wants to leave Calif. as a permanent base. Maybe not.

It would probably be the smartest thing to do, if the OP is considering full time. Cali is one of the most expensive states in the country, Ny comes in at a close 2nd

I'm no fan at all of Cali but many still are. My neighbor (duplex) moved to LA to be closer to family and because Cali offers better medical for low income peoples, of which he is one. The climate in LA is better than where he was (Phoenix) amd there was less dust. Of course LA has other climate, cost (gas is over $4 a gallon) and social issues but he's better off there at age 76.

Cali also chases people if they maintain any ties to the state, all those social programs require taxes... If the OP doesn't cut all ties, I mean all, he may be paying Ca state taxes. Ref: https://www.forbes.com/sites/robert...-matter-where-you-livereally/?sh=7671c3d43e7f

An extract quote is as follows: "[font=Georgia, Cambria,]In fact, it can feel like just about [/font][font=Georgia, Cambria,]any[/font][font=Georgia, Cambria,] connection to California can be enough to at least raise tax issues. Of course, being a California resident and then moving away has its own set of tax issues. The thought of [/font][font=Georgia, Cambria,]leaving California over taxes is nothing new[/font][font=Georgia, Cambria,].[/font][font=Georgia, Cambria,] California's tough [/font][font=Georgia, Cambria,]Franchise Tax Board (FTB) polices the line between residents and non-residents[/font][font=Georgia, Cambria,], and does so rigorously. If you leave, California is likely to probe how and when you stopped being a resident. For that reason, even if you think your facts are not controversial, be careful. California is known to chase people who leave, and to disagree about whether they really are non-residents. After all, [/font][font=Georgia, Cambria,]California's 13.3% tax on capital gains inspires[/font][font=Georgia, Cambria,] plenty of tax moves." (End of copied portion)[/font]

"Colorado, Connecticut, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Rhode Island, Utah, Vermont and West Virginia collect state income tax on Social Security payments to at least some beneficiaries. How they tax Social Security varies by adjusted gross income or other criteria, so check with the relevant" link
Oregon does not charge sales tax and does not tax social security. 

"Oregon exempts Social Security retirement benefits from the state income tax. Oregon taxes income from retirement accounts like a 401(k) or an IRA, though, at the full state income tax rates. The state has no sales tax, along with property taxes that are slightly below average."  link
27 states limit the amount of tax by income levels.  Oregon is NOT one of those states and will count all of your 401k, 403b, pension income.  link

TWIH said:
Tx used to (probably still does) allow travelers to get the inspection done once they've come back in state. The Escapees or the DMV website will tell you about Tx.

Inspections are not much to be concerned with unless you are in a smog county. The # of cracked windshields, too dark tinted front windows (and windshields), headlights out on cars/vans/trucks I saw in Tx for 6 yrs there told me that they aren't very "fussy".

But then we are just presuming the OP wants to leave Calif. as a permanent base. Maybe not.
I finally found out how to be subscribed to a thread so I'll get notifies now ;) Sorry about not seeing these new ones.
To both of you, yes, I would like to have an address elsewhere.  Oregon is my home-State, but I love Texas, Nevada, or AZ to "relocate" you might say ;)  It might turn out to be easier to keep CA, I don't know all the ins and outs yet on that.  I mean I don't have a good handle on exactly how that would work.  I lived in Texas but it was in 2006 or so.  Had a DL there, had my vehicle checked.  Up here I had to go through the whole "check" and failed because there was a hole in the upper "arm" of my gas tank.  Had to have that replaced, pretty new parts all-round but I would be prepared for it to be checked.  Thanks to both of you for the info. Denise

Bob's info on his blog was pretty interesting, and I thought Pahrump NV might be ideal.  Although, his info might not be up to date since so many things are changing I'd have to check it out.

I think I already mentioned hoping to basically drive any distance just as South in the Winter, and North in the Summer.  Arizona is lovely, but I don't know much about their laws, or opportunities to have "resident addresses".  I know Texas has something through I think it was Escapees, for mail forwarding.  All my major things are payed online right now.  But I like to order things like beads for my jewelry making, or something else I might end up needing.  I order from either Amazon, free shipping, or Walmart that has a lot of free shipping I've found.

FYI

Just a updated the State of Nevada has delayed the real ID until sometime in 2023. However I believe they advise you to get the Real ID if you are New or Renewing. They have been playing PSA's on Radio Goldfield announcing this.

Highdesertranger

Don't go to Tucson during the Rock and Gem show they have big tents and road side stands that are strictly beads at wholesale prices. You will need a bigger truck! Lol!!!

Fall schedule Sept 2-5 2021. Verify before going in case it is cancelled.
-crofter

SLB_SA said:
"Colorado, Connecticut, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Rhode Island, Utah, Vermont and West Virginia collect state income tax on Social Security payments to at least some beneficiaries. How they tax Social Security varies by adjusted gross income or other criteria, so check with the relevant" link
Oregon does not charge sales tax and does not tax social security. 

"Oregon exempts Social Security retirement benefits from the state income tax. Oregon taxes income from retirement accounts like a 401(k) or an IRA, though, at the full state income tax rates. The state has no sales tax, along with property taxes that are slightly below average."  link
27 states limit the amount of tax by income levels.  Oregon is NOT one of those states and will count all of your 401k, 403b, pension income.  link
I wouldn't mind being an Oregon "resident" again, although it's changed so much.  It's still "my" home though and many other old-timer friends of mine there.  I looked into living there, I am just not sure what I'm going to do yet.  This info was much appreciated SLB, thank you, Denise PS I guess I didn't have my "subscribes" right as I didn't see some of these replies. Apologies, and I think I have it right now ;)