Is getting a scooter a good idea?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some scooters have larger diameter wheels nowadays. The Piaggio 150 has a 16" front and 14" rear and some Chinese scooters have 14" front and rear as opposed to the traditional 10" to 12". Some Honda scooters also use 14" wheels. I've owned Vespas with 8" wheels.

I just got back from a trip to Alaska and I bought and carried a coleman mini bike for the purposes of emergencies broke down stuck etc not street legal but in an emergency situation does not matter to me these generally cam be bought for $300-500

The new Honda Trail 125 looks really nice, considering selling my Zuma to get one but they are over $4k and a waiting list where we are.

Something to consider is the weather where you live, your ability to put up with the elements as well as the community on the roads and their behavior. I rode a motorcycle 60 miles each way to college for two full years in a place with all four seasons and massive amounts of bugs, birds and beer bottle throwing drunks.

I have also been considering getting a small dual sport motorbike or electric bike to stick on the back of the Odyssey so that I can get into back country. Used Hondas are so expensive now, more than new ones which you can't get. I think I would need a generator with an electric bike and extra battery, about 3k for that set up. Gas seems like a better option but a propane generator could make for a good cooking and refrigerator aid. Planning on my first outing to Baja for a few months in January. I never thought of it as a back up for car break downs but it is a pretty good point.