Got a cargo to convert- where to go now?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to know. I think I'm under the false impression the whole country is 85 and humid like Florida. I'll have to figure out a solar system that is reasonably priced(not more than a few thousand) that could power things like a fan mounted to the window, my laptop, a 12v fridge, etc. I'm a total noob to this stuff.
Our slogan:
* cheap, simple, modular, redundant.
Fan:
We use a Craftsman 20v battery fan.
We acquired two from the local-owned family-operated home-improvement center -- Jerry's -- in Eugene, Oregon.
The batteries power several tools -- including a chain-saw -- so multiple uses from one equipment.
One 20v battery lasts at least a couple nights on LOW; we always have a spare next to it.
We acquired two fans, realized one is overly plenty, returned the other.
Advantages:
* portable -- set it up on the wire-racks pointing toward the bed, set it in the open doorway
* battery avoids wiring.
Photograph (we prefer supporting local-owned family-operated businesses):
www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-20-volt-Max-Jobsite-Fan-Batteries-Not-Included/1001044104
Photovoltaic:
We helped dismantle a system atop a two-story office building.
Apparently, in some weird universe, entire photovoltaic systems get a tax (something-or-a-nother) so replacement is cheaper than keeping.
Huh.
Our cost -- a few hours, zero fedbux.
We ganged the gig with our caravan chums; everybody received enough panels to use plus sell.
We have six 305-Watt, a total of 1,830-Watts photovoltaic topping our ancient AGM bank.
Speaking of 20v batteries and avoiding wiring:
Instead of permanent wiring hidden behind permanent walls feeding permanent lights...
... we use Black& Decker 20v square flashlights.
We carry at least a half-dozen in the Dodge, another half-dozen hanging on pegs in the rig.
Each is habitually placed in the same spot after each use, simplifying finding them out in The Place Of No City-Lights.
Advantages:
* avoids chasing faults caused by chafing or rodents
* portable 1 -- light only the place it is needed
* portable 2 -- one goes from bed-side to porch to dogs-walking, then finds dropped keys, and back to bed-side.
Here is a photograph (we prefer supporting local-owned family-operated):
https://www.lowes.com/pd/BLACK-DECK...OOL9HzcAxNhYmv-CgPsaAl8bEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited:
Where To Go:
With nearly two decades full-time live-aboard, we boondock exclusively.
Fact is, we head for places without a cellular telephone signal.
We never set foot in a RecreateVehicles resort.
Probably has something to do with our aversion to shuffleboard tournaments and canasta marathons.
And bingo with a perky Activities Director.
And 'Hello...' badges.
But, you go right ahead...
My suggestion before you do any convert to your cargo:
* toss in some car-camping gear, go have fun.
Allow the conversion to evolve organically.
Your adventure will shape your build.
The other way around -- build, then travel -- has the potential of forcing the adventure to fit the conversion.
Do you have two spare wheels/tires mounted, ready to swap?
We are ridiculously over-prepared to reduce 'stranded on the side of the road'.

Unless you want and have the funds to build an Instagram Rolling Condo Van start basic and slow. You are not going to be in any vast waste lands you are going to be in the land of Home Depots and Walmart. You can get what you find you need fairly quickly.

I'm with the idea of getting some basic camping gear, throw it in, and go somewhere for a couple of nights. With some experience, then think about what you really need to build as a beginning.

First, respectfully, it sounds like you haven't gathered all your eggs yet (no Easter Bunny jokes please). You completed step one, buying the mode you chose to travel with.
Air conditioning is going to be an uphill battle without an adequate power source. This is just my oogah boogah gorilla math but 14 feet X 12 inches = 168/20 (width of my HQST 100W panels) = 8.4, so 8 panels, or 800 W. I don't have the math in front of me to know if that gives you what you need, but it's better than my little 400W system. I'm rusty on all of it. Check out Will Prowse's book (it's only twelve bucks, tells you a lot, not everything, but it will give you a foundation and a plan forward) that or pick someone else's brain on here for that.
Otherwise, I'd start looking at tactics to ventilate, which will of course involve a roof vent.
As far as the build goes I can only share my experience. My van was my first time building anything and when I decided to not use a "map" and built what I was having fantasies about it got painful. If I had more skill it might be a different story but I'm also on schedule to get done and out there. If it's your first time, follow what others have done before you, then modify on that. Keep it simple. Even Bob says your first build should be a no build.
I can also suggest traveling outside Florida, go west toward the drier climates. I lived in Utah, and now Arkansas, it's a stark contrast in humidity. I don't know exactly what Florida is like, Arkansas is a mosquito/tick infested hell hole with over 110 heat index. Utah was hot, but drier, more tolerable for me (also lived in Illinois, same humidity).

Good to know. I think I'm under the false impression the whole country is 85 and humid like Florida. I'll have to figure out a solar system that is reasonably priced(not more than a few thousand) that could power things like a fan mounted to the window, my laptop, a 12v fridge, etc. I'm a total noob to this stuff.
There’s a ton of info online re building a solar system, and I think you’ll be able to do something within that budget that will power that setup.

I'm a Florida "resident".....Before I headed out West .....I purchased NEW "blemished" Solar Panels in South Florida

I bought 600 watts of panels for $300............one panel had a solder defect........the second had bad Paint

https://sunelec.com/

Kinda depends…
Altitude
Barometric pressure (humidity)
Temperature

Are you talking just about doing normal every day things in Van Life? Nothing too strenuous?

Have you ever spent any time in Denver?
That would be a great place to find out how comfortable you are at 1 mile high.

Properly adjusting to altitude takes time.
And practice. So just make your way up in altitude until you feel comfortable.

I backed packed the PCT A few years ago. The highest point on the trail is Forrester Pass, at 13,200 feet.

Never could’ve done that without the gradual gain in altitude over the previous week.

There are lots of good articles online as well in how to adjust to altitude.

All the best!

I agree with "go north". I know It's easy to say but a lot harder to do. Generally 70s/80s in the day and 50s/60s at night from now til October. Minnesota to Maine. I'll be doing the same thing in 6 months when the weather becomes unbearably cold around here. Someone is sure to say "well just head South." Not sure if I will be able to.

I have an awning to keep the sun from hitting the side of my home on wheels. Makes a huge difference. Nice for when it rains too.