Got a cargo to convert- where to go now?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floridaman

Reaction score
I recently acquired a 14 foot weeroll cargo trailer to convert. I am outfitting it in the coming months with a basic sink, bed, desk, composting toilet, cooking area, etc. I plan on keeping it on property in south FL the majority of the time, but I would like to spend a few months exploring. I was thinking state, local, private campgrounds near natural areas with electrical hookups would be my only option for travel.

I am not sure how you would boondock in a 14 foot trailer since it gets obscenely hot in there without the 5000 BTU window AC unit in it full time and the windows shaded during direct sun hours. I don't think any fan system would be adequate. I do not have a solar system, presently.

I really want to get out in nature but I feel like I need air conditioning. I would like to avoid being in any parks with people particularly close by. I'm not too into the idea of being in a trailer park with a bunch of people, packed in like sardines.

I was looking for an all metal structure that could not mold and was low in toxic chemicals due to my chronic health problems. Instead of building a standing structure I figured why not get something that moves. So I don't regret my decision, I am just trying to logically plan out how I can both be comfortable whilst not having people breathing down my neck with a 5 month in advance RV park reservation. Any suggestions on where to start would be great. Thanks.

What are you towing with? Could you bring along a generator and run an ac unit?

You could do your 'exploring' for a couple of months in the hot summer months: head north, or north and west, and find some higher elevations where you CAN boondock or at least camp without needing A/C all day.

Good luck on the build.

What are you towing with? Could you bring along a generator and run an ac unit?
Nothing yet. Will be getting an f150 soon. The trailer is light, no more than 2500 lbs fully loaded. I have a 04 suburban but it's falling apart and needs to be replaced.

Good to know. I think I'm under the false impression the whole country is 85 and humid like Florida. I'll have to figure out a solar system that is reasonably priced(not more than a few thousand) that could power things like a fan mounted to the window, my laptop, a 12v fridge, etc. I'm a total noob to this stuff.

Using a low decibel propane generator solves a lot of your problems, even discourages nearby neighbors and makes an easy all electric conversion. With a 14 foot trailer you have plenty of room for solar later on and have a backup generator for cloudy days already installed.

I'm a Florida resident currently in the desert in California. The weather is windy but not hot. I'm in a van with lots of windows. I have fans but haven't needed them so far this winter. I usually use my Wave 3 heater at night but last night I didn't need it.

No way, I'll repeat that no way would I stay in this van back in St Pete between and including the months of April and November without AC. NO WAY! (Yes, I know some people do it but I'm not one of them).

Good ventilation is key during the cooler months back there.

I recently acquired a 14 foot weeroll cargo trailer to convert. I am outfitting it in the coming months with a basic sink, bed, desk, composting toilet, cooking area, etc. I plan on keeping it on property in south FL the majority of the time

I am not sure how you would boondock in a 14 foot trailer since it gets obscenely hot in there without the 5000 BTU window AC unit in it full time and the windows shaded during direct sun hours. I don't think any fan system would be adequate.
Most of Florida is hot and humid many months of the year, south FL is almost always warm/hot and humid (today it is 77F with 30% humidity). If you want to run AC, you'll need a generator. If money is tight, forget solar. A generator will recharge the batteries quickly, and no amount of solar will generate enough energy to cool a metal box that's baking in the sun.

I recently acquired a 14 foot weeroll cargo trailer to convert. I am outfitting it in the coming months with a basic sink, bed, desk, composting toilet, cooking area, etc. I plan on keeping it on property in south FL the majority of the time, but I would like to spend a few months exploring. I was thinking state, local, private campgrounds near natural areas with electrical hookups would be my only option for travel.

I am not sure how you would boondock in a 14 foot trailer since it gets obscenely hot in there without the 5000 BTU window AC unit in it full time and the windows shaded during direct sun hours. I don't think any fan system would be adequate. I do not have a solar system, presently.

I really want to get out in nature but I feel like I need air conditioning. I would like to avoid being in any parks with people particularly close by. I'm not too into the idea of being in a trailer park with a bunch of people, packed in like sardines.

I was looking for an all metal structure that could not mold and was low in toxic chemicals due to my chronic health problems. Instead of building a standing structure I figured why not get something that moves. So I don't regret my decision, I am just trying to logically plan out how I can both be comfortable whilst not having people breathing down my neck with a 5 month in advance RV park reservation. Any suggestions on where to start would be great. Thanks.
Congrats on your purchase! I've been considering a Weeroll myself. Got a question for you, if you don't mind; did Tom have the trailer in stock, or did you have to order it? And if you ordered it, how long did it take to take delivery on it?

Thanks,
Ric

My brother started converting one a couple months ago and gave me the itch to sell my van while the market was hot. I have a 2006 ford f-150 5.4L 4x4 with tow package.

Towing my 16ft converted trailer home I got 10mpg going 70MPH on an essentially flat interstate over 2.5 hrs. My vehicle towed it great, and being 7.5ft wide I can see around it without towing mirrors.

An electric heater will be 1,500 watts to heat our cans enough in the winter, so a battery and solar are out in most winter settings. A generator is noisy and the opposite of camping. Based on this, I got a chinese knockoff diesel heater which by my calculations should run most of a night on a marine deep cycle battery before hitt8ng the no go discharge limit on the battery and needing recharged. So battery would power a diesel heater... for a day. To get to the next day, you'd need to recharge with either (being practical) solar or your vehicle's alternator (or a 1,000 generator you use once a year and have to store).

I will probably use the solar approach at about 300 watts to have extra power (since I live in a climate that's sunny most winter days).

To size the solar, you need to calculate what you want to run and for how long. A toaster for instance will use 1,000 watts at 120volt for 2 minutes. You want to back into the amps needed on 12v. 1,000/120=8.3 amp

I fit 960 watts of solar on my van. It will run a 6,000 BTU A/C from about 11 am to 5 pm in Southern Nv
At night you would need a generator, but only a small one. 800 watt continuous would do.
. .

Welcome to the forum... I'm in north FL and have my cargo trailer almost finished. I added a 5000 Btu window unit and packed in lots of Polyiso insulation from Home Depot. I've had several cargo trailers... can't beat them for walking around space.

My Champion 2000 watt inverter on gas or propane runs the 5000 A/C unit with ease.

Last edited:
I am not sure how you would boondock in a 14 foot trailer since it gets obscenely hot in there

Many of us follow mild weather.

A generator will recharge the batteries quickly

A generator can recharge lithium chemistries quickly; lead takes the time it takes so even hooking it up to a nuclear power plant wouldn't bring them to full charge meaningfully faster.

no amount of solar will generate enough energy to cool a metal box that's baking in the sun

There are people here on the forum (and this thread, hi @DannyB1954) doing it. It does take heroic (IMO) amounts of panel and an overall understanding of the issues.

There are people here on the forum (and this thread, hi @DannyB1954) doing it. It does take heroic (IMO) amounts of panel and an overall understanding of the issues.
The combination of heat and humidity in south FL creates a very high AC load. I am i skeptical that a solar system can handle that here. So here's my offer: if there's anyone on this forum doing this, I'd love to see it in person. I'm willing to come to you, or I'll extend you an invitation to boondock on my property in the Florida Keys.

I find that state park campgrounds are usually more spread out than private campgrounds and often have hookups. N Florida, Georgia and Tennessee have some nice SP campgrounds. I’m currently in S Florida and haven’t used the AC at all, but I have lots of windows (small class A). Bahia Honda and Curry Hammock SP in the keys are really nice, but super hard to get reservations. Book FL state parks as early as you can, as they book up FAST!

Also, you could consider one of those pop-up screen rooms and even sleeping outside in the screened room if you want to try boondocking or a non-hookup campground. Most of the campgrounds that have hookups are too crowded for me- they're also more expensive and harder to get reservations. Campendium.com (you can also try freecampsites.net) has info on paid campgrounds and free boondocking sites. If you read through the reviews, you can get a sense if the sites are shaded or full sun. If you're booking a campground, most will have a little info blurb that tells you if the site is shaded or full sun.