Is getting a scooter a good idea?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you a competent rider or are you going to have to learn?
Can you afford to be hurt while learning or knocking the rust off?
Have you ever ridden in traffic before?
Do you know most of the got-yous or are you going to take the hard knocks?

Answering the above may give you an idea if this is a good idea or not.

SD

Jamie of Enigmatic Nomadics broke his collarbone on one of those small diameter wheeled scooters when he hit a soft patch on BLM and he rides motorcycles. It is not a matter of if but when a spill occurs on soft ground. I would only consider something with larger wheels if I was going to do ANY off roading with it.

popcorn2007 said:
Well, i sorta want to get a honda metro or comparable scooter and ride it for the next year and a half till i get on the road. How useful will a scooter be when i boondock? My setup will be a cargo van and a cargo trailer, i assume.
 -what states allow a 49cc scooter to run without plates-insurance ?
-Is there a better option then a scooter?

i have a small Chinese scooter 49cc registered and insured only ride it in town streets and can use it to ride the blm road and go to get water and dump trash I agree that a burg man or other models that are 400 cc and larger are best to cover real road worthy use best choice IMO 250 cc on and off road motorcycle with rack licensed and covers dessert and two lane runs to town for shopping and fun time in the dessert or mountains exploring gas sipping fun

There are a couple of small scooters that come to mind. A Honda Ruckus and a Yamaha C3.  Both under 200 lbs and have wide tires suited for mild off roading.  You're not going to be jumping whoops but traveling down dirt or gravel roads should be no problem.

When I lived in New Mexico I had a C3.  115 mpg and top speed of about 45 mph, absolutely bulletproof. Moped classification, no tags or insurance.  Out of the dozen or so scooters I've owned I miss that one the most. Not in production anymore, but I'm looking to buy another one.  

When I get on the road I will certainly have a scooter for errands and exploring/adventures.

SheepDog said:
Are you a competent rider or are you going to have to learn?
Can you afford to be hurt while learning or knocking the rust off?
Have you ever ridden in traffic before?
Do you know most of the got-yous or are you going to take the hard knocks?

Answering the above may give you an idea if this is a good idea or not.

SD

I have been riding for 30 years. I have had a 50cc -125cc - 750cc and have 10k+ miles of experience
 I was just trying to find out if a scooter has a use when you get to your destination. Sounds like it would be a wash getting a smaller scooter

With your experience I’d likely look at a smallish dual sport that would be more useful in more situations!

SD

Mine looks alot like this Hoolagin with a bit more sporty look. I paid $995/shipped in a steel crate. It's will go over 60 but 55 very easy all day. It has a Honda clone enge a GY6 I think. You can still get 150cc new for under $1000. The Genius is a nice website but the prices are unreal. It set all winter & started right up. Parts are mostly all the same, cheap & available all over.

badmotorscooter said:
There are a couple of small scooters that come to mind. A Honda Ruckus and a Yamaha C3.  Both under 200 lbs and have wide tires suited for mild off roading.  You're not going to be jumping whoops but traveling down dirt or gravel roads should be no problem.

When I lived in New Mexico I had a C3.  115 mpg and top speed of about 45 mph, absolutely bulletproof. Moped classification, no tags or insurance.  Out of the dozen or so scooters I've owned I miss that one the most. Not in production anymore, but I'm looking to buy another one.  

When I get on the road I will certainly have a scooter for errands and exploring/adventures.

Any idea what model the C3 has been replaced by, or if the replacement might be roughly equivalent?  Maybe not better even if not worse?

The newer Zuma 50f uses the exact same powertrain. It's not a 2-stroke anymore, but uses the same fuel injected, watercooled three valve motor.

The Zuma is a conventional styled scooter, not the unique "cube" style of the C3.

I got an honest 115 mpg and 45 mph out of the C3 with basic tuning.

Removed restricting washer from the variator and used lighter slider weights as well as removing the snorkel tube from the airbox.

I forgot to mention the Zuma 50f has the same size tires, which are wide and tall making the 10" hoops comparable to most 12" sizes, but with a lot more cushioning to smooth out bumps.

Something like a newer Honda Metropolitan is very similar in specs, but has the classic smallish narrow 10" tires. Probably OK for hard packed dirt or gravel, but not very secure on looser/softer surfaces.

There are all kinds of ways of going about getting into scooters.  Each state has different laws and even terms for motorized two wheel vehicles.  The best way to go about getting informed decisions would be to visit forums which 
specialize in this.  All kinds of info exhist in these two forums regarding laws, platforms/designs, powerplants, and sources.

Here are a couple:  

Motorbicycling Forum

Motoredbikes Forum

I have a friend here in Southern Ohio who is a Manager at a McDonald's.  He purchased a scooter that looks like a Vespa but it is made in China and it is electric.  It has pedals which can be snapped into the sides and pedaled like a bicycle.   He lives about 4 miles from work and it had served him well.  BUT,  he is harassed by local, state, and other law enforcement officers constantly even though it conforms to Ohio Laws.  Every time he is given a citation he has to go to Court and the Judge just throws the case out and dismisses him.  So he finally got tired of it and sold the scooter and has coworkers to pick him up and transport him to and from work.  

I mention him in this post as a heads up.   Even though these things may be a solution to one's problems, not everyone including Law Enforcement will see it the same way.   Not all Law Enforcement agrees that vehicles with no license or insurance being on the roadways even if their State provides for it is a valid idea.  Off road only or on private property may be a different matter.  A scooter will look like a motor vehicle that should only be on the road and properly insured & licensed.  A bicycle, like a mountain bike, could be fitted with a rear electric drive hub that would get 40 miles to a charge.  With cargo baskets installed on the rear wheel the electric motor may not be so obvious and you would still have up to 18 or so gears.  (obscuring the electric motor)  The bike can be pedaled even when using the motor to confuse any observer.  The bicycle nature would permit it to be on the road or off without arousing much suspicion and Law Enforcement won't be so inclined to look for a license plate on a bicycle.  A mountain bike may have spring suspension, off road tires, and gearing for that type of terrain.  It may be your best solution.

If you saw someone riding this bike with a backpack and something bungeed on the cargo rack....would you think this is a motor vehicle ?

x-cursion-alu-left-angle-jpg.jpeg

I like that x-version link you shared.  That's a good price for a folding bike.  Especially a 26".

a 2-stroke engine with valves? reed valves yes but valves like a four stroke no. I am calling BS on that. there is no way a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke engine can be identical. highdesertranger

:D  yeah,  there has  been so many advances with bicycle design it's really worth considering some of them.  And now with Lithium Ion batteries for these 3 phase electric motor assisted models, either the power of the motor or traveling range will make a fine little grocery getter or touring bike.   When equipped with baskets or bags the bike may be able to carry more than a scooter and be much more useful.

If you would set a bike up like these you may want to get the inner tubes with the extra thick outer wall (next the tread) for puncture resistance and put that "Green Slime" in the inner tubes so that they would be self heeling if something did puncture one.

images

When ever I replace an old tube I cut out the valve and cut it around the inside so it can lay in the tire as a liner between the tire and the new tube. Before I install the tire valve in the new tube I put in 4oz or so of Stan's latex. Lots of racers just carry a small squirt bottle with 6oz and use it after getting a flat as weight is an issue with them, with an electric bike weight is not much of an issue. This usually works for a season or so until I have to add a few oz more. Russian Olives will punch bigger holes but even those the Stan's has sealed. I have had 3 flats in 1,000 miles and just added a few oz of Stan's and air to repair.

Stans is usually used in tubeless setup. There are other tubeless brands..orange seal and a new one that may be the best.

I don't usually do things in a normal way so this works well for me. I figure if it works well tubeless then it should work great with a tube and a liner made of the same material as the tube and it has! Heavier but with an electric bike that is not much of an issue. By the way the my Rad-mini came with a lippless rim and with the wide tire I didn't feel comfortable going tubeless. Also it has been suggested that regular Stans with glitter mixed in works as well as the expensive Stans Racing. I've just used regular Stans and haven't had to remove a wheel since I bought it with almost 1,000 miles on/off road in southern Utah and Arizona, the $28 was worth it to me.

I have had 2 Chinese 50cc scooters. I enjoyed both of them. My first one was my only means of transportation for about 2 years. I commuted to work daily on it and did all my shopping and visiting family on it. If you're at all on the heavier side anywhere there are hills it's a pain in the ass. The build in speedometer is useless. I used a gps app for accurate speed testing. Up a long steep hill you'll be lucky to get 16MPH damn lucky. Serious hills you may have to get off and walk it. With a few modifications while still TECHNICALLY remaining legal in my state as far as engine displacement but with a better computer, carburetor, and racing air filter I could get mine up to 45MPH on flat ground I even hit over 69MPH downhill on it. According to the letter of the law that's too fast for a 50cc. But if I fought it I'd likely have won as the law says the engine displacement doesnt exceed 50cc.

As far as legality not every state doesnt require registration for them. It's my understanding that in Alabama for instance any motor driven cycle up to 150cc has to be registered as such and a liscense has to be in your possession even if it is an electric motor driven cycle. However a 14 year old can get a permit to ride anything up to a 150cc with this type of license.