Is getting a scooter a good idea?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thejapanesee.jpg

There are a lot of scooters today which have detachable pedals.  The pedals stow under the seat if you are on flat land
and don't need human assist. 

I'm looking for some company to build (if they haven't already)  a 50 cc motor scooter with an electric motor assist in the front wheel and still have pedals.  This would be a real hybrid and could answer some needs.  Of course each state would have it's own laws regarding license/registration, operators license endorsement for driving a motor bike, insurance and so on. (but generally.......if it has pedals it will be given a lot of slack.  Ohio as an example,  only has certain bikes that they recognize as MoPeds......anything else is a bike with a helper motor and must be below 49cc and claim less than one horse power)

What you like is a very individual thing, but I think that scooter looks fun. I've always liked the look of scooters so much, even though I've never owned one.

I've owned big bikes, scooters, and motorized bicycles.  

A few years back I was active on a motorized bicycle forum and got a motor for a cruiser bike I owned.  
In the time I was on that forum I noticed so many older men putting the things together and talking about
when they were kids riding them to High School.  Most of them had gone the full spectrum with motorcycles too.

If anyone wants to go with a scooter or motorized bicycle I strongly recommend that they wear a helmet and avoid
busy traffic on the paved roads.   There are a lot of other motorist who have never been into two wheel transportation
and have no respect for those types of vehicles.  It is a case where you may be in the right,  but still you were the one who got ran over.  

With all of this said,  scooters are a blast if you can ride them where you won't have much threat of dogs, or other motorist who are only looking for other cars or trucks.   They make a nice grocery getter,  or errand runner, and have an amazing ability to transform one's disposition to that of happiness and joy while riding it in the great outdoors in nice weather.  But just the opposite in bad weather.

I figure that in the Big Cities in time there will be scooter roads for electric scooters.  Perhaps some of the main access roads into and out of the City would be reserved during certain hours of the day just for electric scooters using them.  I've read where an electric scooter can travel 80 times as far on the same amount of electric as a Tesla model 3 automobile.

People seem to forget that electric bikes and scooters need to be charged. But then they worry about keeping cell phones and laptops running on their RV electrical systems. Either way, gas or electric you have to keep it fueled up so the choice comes down to which is the most convenient and inexpensive to keep the wheels on it turning.

Quite true.   This is why I'd like to see a gasoline motor on a scooter with a special electric motor/generator in the front wheel....all while retaining the pedals.   Thus while underway with the 49cc gas motor the front wheel could recharge the battery until the driver would approach a hill and resort to using both motors in order to maintain a speed where they wouldn't have to get off and push.  The owner may want to install a mid range "expansion chamber" exhaust on the scooter in order to tweek just a little more power out of it.  

Just a thought.

In some states like NM (I lived there 10 years) pedals are not required for a moped designation.

49cc and under, automatic transmission, and top speed of no more than 30 mph on level ground. No plates, no insurance just a regular drivers license, no motorcycle endorsement.

There are several scooter models that get 100 mpg or better, with a top speed of 40-45 mph making them hard to beat for the best all around cheap transportation. Scooters have a lot of storage and I've had police behind me many times while cruising 40 mph and they didn't care.

eDJ_ said:
Quite true.   This is why I'd like to see a gasoline motor on a scooter with a special electric motor/generator in the front wheel....all while retaining the pedals.   Thus while underway with the 49cc gas motor the front wheel could recharge the battery until the driver would approach a hill and resort to using both motors in order to maintain a speed where they wouldn't have to get off and push.  The owner may want to install a mid range "expansion chamber" exhaust on the scooter in order to tweek just a little more power out of it.  

Just a thought.

I have never thought of that but I have been looking at electric bike conversion kits lately. There are quite a few front wheel replacements with a built in motor. But I dont know how viable it would be to find one matched to the size of wheel a scooter uses. The smallest ones I've seen are 20 inch rims. And my scooters used I think 12 inch rims. So idk. Also I imagine they wouldnt generate any power when not in use as they have a control box that runs the motor using 3 wires and It probably has some sort of diode blocking return current. I did see an interesting DIY ebike video. Basically this guy mounted a skateboard wheel on an electric drill that he placed against the bike tire. Sort of like the opposite of the old school dynamo bike headlight generator. I'd see that prematurely wearing a groove in your tire but who knows?

The Chinese "gy6" clones are cheap and parts are in great supply. I even had a local shop specializing in gy6 style scooters and ruckus scooters. That was handy when parts were needed. Always have a spare CVT transmission belt on hand. Trust me on this one. They can be hard to find locally so it could take a while to order them online.

I've read that conversion kits have to be really good and well-installed because a snapping chain is quite hazardous, and some designs make it not at all unlikely.

XERTYX said:
I have never thought of that but I have been looking at electric bike conversion kits lately. There are quite a few front wheel replacements with a built in motor. But I dont know how viable it would be to find one matched to the size of wheel a scooter uses. The smallest ones I've seen are 20 inch rims. And my scooters used I think 12 inch rims. So idk. Also I imagine they wouldnt generate any power when not in use as they have a control box that runs the motor using 3 wires and It probably has some sort of diode blocking return current. I did see an interesting DIY ebike video. Basically this guy mounted a skateboard wheel on an electric drill that he placed against the bike tire. Sort of like the opposite of the old school dynamo bike headlight generator. I'd see that prematurely wearing a groove in your tire but who knows?

The Chinese "gy6" clones are cheap and parts are in great supply. I even had a local shop specializing in gy6 style scooters and ruckus scooters. That was handy when parts were needed. Always have a spare CVT transmission belt on hand. Trust me on this one. They can be hard to find locally so it could take a while to order them online.

I'd like to think that someone in China will hear of this idea.  I'm sure they could configure a moped like the one in the photo I posted to function as I described.   Even if it cuts down the 120 mpg fuel mileage to 60 mpg part of the time, I'd definitely buy one.  And once the battery is fully charged the generating function would simply cut out.  If the motor/generator could be set to begin to charge again when the battery reaches "X" % of discharge and then with a mercury switch in the circuit the generator only charge when going downhill it could be attractive. (of course there should be a panic button to disengage this function in the case of a lose or slippery surface)  But this would all be "trick" little stuff)

Perhaps some enterprising people in India will take this and run with it.

Just a thought on this.

Getting a scooter will always be a good idea, as long as you know how to drive it.

Scooters get wonderful gas mileage. Some electric scooters even get 100+ mpg, which is great when compared to a car. If you buy a used scooter, you'll spend even less, and since scooters tend to not be used much, it would be nearly like getting a new one. Scooter insurance is cheaper than a motorcycle or car insurance. Most scooter owners buy a scooter to get around the city, to park easier, to keep costs down. The best bariatric mobility scooters are practical. If you want to buy a two-wheeled vehicle but don't want to feel pressured to spend whole days speeding around breakneck bends, a scooter's for you.

Reviving this old thread because of current gas prices. Over $5 for regular here in Oregon.

8 or 10 years ago my friend bought a Chinese 150cc scooter. The whole thing was pretty poor quality, from the switch gear to the plastic to the frame welds. I recently switched from a motorcycle to a scooter because of health issues that made it difficult to swing my leg over a bike and found Chinese scooter quality at least in some models has greatly improved. Some are now equipped with fuel injection and meet all requirements in all 50 states.

If you're thinking of buying a scooter but can't justify the price of a Japanese model, have another look at Chinese scooters.

BTW I was a motorcycle mechanic for many years, have owned many motorcycles over the 50+ years I've been riding, from Goldwings to Vespas.

i have 49 cc china "crappy scooter" has to be tagged and pay taxes in Virginia, runs sometimes, OOC right now, when i need it. gas is $4.49 max speed 29 MPH. can get speeding ticket if over that. helmit required & eye protection.
all crazy.
keebler.

Used to see a lot of the minibikes on Pahrump's streets. Been a couple of years since I've seen any.

I own a little Chinese 150cc Scooter. It's the third one I've owned and it's fine for what I bought it for...and less than the price of a decent quality e-bike. I use it almost daily...In my situation, I can ride short trips around my community for about 2 weeks on a gallon of gas.

That's just short trips to the store or burger stand, post office, etc, and no highway riding.

'Twist and go' convenience, and easier and more comfortable to ride than the e-bike it replaces.

Attachments

• IMG_20210902_133319717_HDR (1) (Small).jpg
    IMG_20210902_133319717_HDR (1) (Small).jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 7
Biggest problem for me is in most states anything over 49cc requires licensing, insurance as well as a motorcycle endorsement on your license. My eBikes require nothing as long as I keep the speeds below 20 MPH.

I rode my e-bike for a few years and enjoyed it...mostly.

Far too many flat tires tho.

For a supposedly low maintenance vehicle it sure is high maintenance!

E bikes are the way to go for many people. I'd have one if the range were greater and I had a 100% reliable way to charge it. As it is I'd have to run a generator to charge it most of the time so I'd be burning as much or more gas than a gas scooter would use.

Here in Oregon even 50cc scooters must be plated, insured, and a motorcycle license is required so one might as well ride a 150cc that will do better at keeping up with traffic. I've had a motorcycle license for over 50 years so that's a hoop I don't have to jump through but it's definitely a drawback for many.

,One of the projects I have in my galley is this Cargo Bike. In the photo it is gas powered, but for simplicity I think I would go with the electric front drive. (which I drew into the front wheel of the photo) If I were going to boondock or stay for extended periods I'd carry this along.

Cargo_Bike_2.jpg