Anyone here that can help me A.S.A.P. choose a good van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a 15 pack 2001 Chevy near me. She really wants a high top though (could be added later I know) and they might be too long to drive comfortably by some.

This world isnt home said:
The only reason I suggest the passenger van is the ease of starting out, there's no real work to do other than removing the seats and belts. As long as she doesn't need maximum space she can leave the nice plastic trim and headliner/floor carpet all in. Makes for a quick conversion,

They are really the easiest things to quickly start in, and the room of an extended E350 is, well, large.

What is a headliner for clarification?   :)

Gideon33w said:
There is a 15 pack 2001 Chevy near me. She really wants a high top though (could be added later I know) and they might be too long to drive comfortably by some.

is that one the same type van that ThisWorld isnt home described, i.e.,  2000's E350 extended passenger?

A headliner is the fabric on the interior ceiling. I'm talking about my buddies van I told you about and yeah they are basically the same.

Wow, I have learned so much on this thread. I'm looking for a van myself. I know van shopping when I don't know anything about them is difficult. I'm going to give myself 6 months to shop.

And I need to sit down and draw a grid on what mfger of vans and what years not to buy - as so many of these posts high light what years were good and which were bad for just about all makes and models. This will allow me to scratch off any vans in the "not good years" area and I can quickly move on.

And finding mechanics all over my area that I can establish a relationship with before calling them on Monday morning to see if they will inspect a vehicle for me in 48 hours.

Man, there is a lot to nail down and a lot of work to do when shopping. Hope the OP finds the van of her dreams. Thanks everyone for the education.

So I didn't see any of you mention CarGuru or the other internet car sales posting sites (Autotrader, Cars.com, Carsdirect, etc). I saw a lot of Craig's List - is there a reason for this?

Janet100 said:
Wow, I have learned so much on this thread.  I'm looking for a van myself.  I know van shopping when I don't know anything about them is difficult.  I'm going to give myself 6 months to shop.  

And I need to sit down and draw a grid on what mfger of vans and what years not to buy - as so many of these posts high light what years were good and which were bad for just about all makes and models.  This will allow me to scratch off any vans in the "not good years" area and I can quickly move on.

And finding mechanics all over my area that I can establish a relationship with before calling them on Monday morning to see if they will inspect a vehicle for me in 48 hours.

Man, there is a lot to nail down and a lot of work to do when shopping.  Hope the OP finds the van of her dreams.  Thanks everyone for the education.
Thank you Janet.  It has been a very stressful and difficult crazy game that I don't WANT to play, but necessary.   6 months would be great to give yourself (if you have time)!   If you draw up that grid, please share it with everyone here!  That would be great!  Thank you and may you find the van of your dreams!

Janet100 said:
So I didn't see any of you mention CarGuru or the other internet car sales posting sites (Autotrader, Cars.com, Carsdirect, etc).  I saw a lot of Craig's List - is there a reason for this?

Janet this is just me, but I prefer to look for full size vans, which are a type of truck, on the truck trader sites.

They tend to be fleet maintained and generally have less age in years for 100,000 miles than a consumer owned van....although this is not always the case.

Also, fleets and fleet dealers dont have an emotional connection to the vehicle, you cant insult them by offering $2000 less than they are asking...its just a business transaction to them.

Janet100 said:
Wow, I have learned so much on this thread.  I'm looking for a van myself.  I know van shopping when I don't know anything about them is difficult.  I'm going to give myself 6 months to shop.  

And I need to sit down and draw a grid on what mfger of vans and what years not to buy - as so many of these posts high light what years were good and which were bad for just about all makes and models.  This will allow me to scratch off any vans in the "not good years" area and I can quickly move on.

Man, there is a lot to nail down and a lot of work to do when shopping.  Hope the OP finds the van of her dreams.  Thanks everyone for the education.

I just posted mine in the for sale section. Think I am going to sell it and go for the "normal" life.

tx2sturgis said:
Janet this is just me, but I prefer to look for full size vans, which are a type of truck, on the truck trader sites.

They tend to be fleet maintained and generally have less age in years for 100,000 miles than a consumer owned van....although this is not always the case.

Also, fleets and fleet dealers dont have an emotional connection to the vehicle, you cant insult them by offering $2000 less than they are asking...its just a business transaction to them.

I bookmarked that site you linked.  I've never seen it before but will use it for searches in the future.  Thanks

Gideon33w said:
I just posted mine in the for sale section. Think I am going to sell it and go for the "normal" life.

:huh:

Gideon33w said:
It's not sold. Just putting it out there. I let you know about it before I posted it.

I know you did, thanks! :D  I was just a little taken aback since you just did it all for yourself.

XFILE36 said:
I know you did, thanks! :D  I was just a little taken aback since you just did it all for yourself.
I'm starting to think it might be the better idea. Not dead set on if I'd go normal or do a different van yet though.
But, there's you and several others like you that are struggling to find, buy, fix, and build a van.
All those things are much less of an issue for me and mute if I decide to stay brick and mortar.

Gideon33w said:
I'm starting to think it might be the better idea. Not dead set on if I'd go normal or do a different van yet though.
But, there's you and several others like you that are struggling to find, buy, fix, and build a van.
All those things are much less of an issue for me and mute if I decide to stay brick and mortar.

So does that make us van dwelling Nomads ab-normal?  Yeah, probably. :D  LOL. If you decide to go sticks and bricks are you still available for build outs? (if you know right now.)

XFILE36 said:
So does that make us van dwelling Nomads ab-normal?  Yeah, probably. :D  LOL. If you decide to go sticks and bricks are you still available for build outs? (if you know right now.)

That's why I usually put "normal" is quotation marks, haha. - Build outs for others would probably depend but likely.
That said, would have to sell my van soon or I will be forced to keep it. Running into time concerns.
If you did want mine, you could always bring it back later for more in depth mods, insulation, etc if you like.

I may have found a van in Arlington, TX. I found a mechanic, but am waiting to see if he will drive it there for pre-buy inspection. Wish me luck, and if he won't is there anyone here in Arlington who would be willing to drive it to the mechanic if I pay you for your time and gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts