Anyone here that can help me A.S.A.P. choose a good van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CautionToTheWind said:
:cross fingers: + toes

Mechanic said it's worth 6500 and is in great shape, but needs:

tv switch won't stay on

pulley and bearing on a/c compressor is making noise, said he likes to do things preventatively before they go out - could go out on the way home or last another 10,000 miles

Is blowing cool air but needs freon and oil in ac 

$191 to fix it all

Seller WON'T negotiate

I just asked mechanic (who seems awesome) how much to just do the pulley/bearing

He said he might be able to just replace the bearing only and will call me back. they are 2 hours ahead so this is crunch time...

Sounds good. Feedback on tires/spare? I second it's great deal xfile if that much checks out.

Edit: sometimes misaligned pulleys can cause belts to be noisy (just throwing that out there). He has the ear to the ground though. Looking good so far.

has spare under bathroom...5 tires new, seller thinks it doesn't need a pulley/bearing... Was told by mechanic kelly bb is about $8k! Well cared for.

I am going there tomorrow. I decided to get it ALL done...paying full price. on van. Please pray for a safe flight and drive home! I'm afraid to fly! Thanks to everyone who has helped, especially to RobNdahood! He found the van for me.:) I gotta clean out my inbox etc before i leave, as its close to full and i may not be getting internet at all.

Positive thoughts! I suspected Rob. One friend takes Dramamine for flying. You hooked up for calling a friend "just in case?"

Safe travels! :::how exciting:::

With xfiles permission

Xfiles.jpg

Attachments

• Xfiles.jpg
    Xfiles.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 15
RobndaHood said:
With xfiles permission
Thanks for posting Rob!  See you tomorrow.  Gotta take my kitty to the babysitter....we've never been apart... Just made ride reservation, next is Good Sam, then packing...I'm tired. It's all going to be worth it.

Pictures are printed, 1 exterior and 2 interior, out in my truck so I don't forget them.

I got a GPS!  Yaaaaa!  I tried to find that book "The Next Exit", but couldn't locate one here.  Both Walmarts didn't have it and I couldn't find a book store...even with my GPS.  It directed me to a church, and Best Buy, but Best Buy doesn't answer the phone.  I think I will try to stay in Walmart's as much as possible coming home.  I don't think I will have time to stay at a campground and get free shore power, but that sounds like fun if only I didn't have to rush back.  Oh well, I will be leaving L.A. soon and driving back thru Texas and could stop leisurely with my kitty.

Caution to the Wind, I don't have any people hooked up, do you mean in an emergency?  I will write down some numbers in case of an accident and am incapacitated.  

To anyone looking for a van, it's really exhausting (especially doing it in another state)!   Kind of like searching for a home...I lost a lot of sleep, but it's worth it.  

I'm very grateful to Gunny/Robndahood to have found it, he is picking me up from the airport, and taking me to buy it (proud to have him as my bodyguard). :cool:  I couldn't have done it without him!  

Special thanks to Gideon33w, Cautiontothewind (sent me MANY VANS!), HighDesertRanger, and some of you others who sent me vans to look at and/or you pre-inspected them and gave me your expert opinions.   :D  

Thanks to Bob for this forum! :D

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone ;)

Can't wait until I'm finally free and on the road for good.  I think I will be able to get caught up on my sleep when I return..

Gotta go pack!  Arriving there at 3 pm and will be sleeping in the van tomorrow night.  I will do the Escapee thing Wednesday morning then heading right back...Hope to be back Friday night if I figure things correctly.  Don't know if I'll be able to do the forum.  Peace

A sneak  peek at the interior.

xfile1.jpg

Attachments

• xfile1.jpg
    xfile1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 24
I just dropped my kitty off at the sitter's. She is such an expert with cats and looked inside his mouth. It looks pretty bad. He has an infection, and maybe even a tumor. He didn't have that lump 2 days ago under his chin and a large sore in his mouth, maybe an abscess. :( She said she will take him into the vet. I don't want to leave right now and feel so badly for him. I couldn't leave him in a better place though, but it's hard for me to not worry and miss him too. All the more determination to get back here A.S.A.P. :(

Your safety is most important! Safe travels! (again I'll keep my stories to myself on blow outs)

BEWARE! This is a venting session: Sitting in a stinky motel that's on the second floor. It is an outdoor type and I had to carry my two heavy suitcases and a purse up myself in the rain. Just got finished from being at the dealership about a half hour ago. We didn't eat all day until about 45 minutes ago and Rob wasn't feeling well either all day. :(

Things didn't go as planned. I got molested and harassed 3 times at the airport by the TSA...don't ask...I will explain later. I'm lucky I even got on the plane...Had to throw away my favorite tool thing that was in my purse too...treated like a criminal for carrying, and for my tool that had a frickin 2 inch blade and all my other tools on it like a swiss army thingy. Now I remember why I don't fly any more. The day didn't start off very well...My GPS I bought yesterday broke. I have 14 days to return it to Walmart.

The van had 3 chips in the windshield. One the size of a nickle. Neither the seller nor the mechanic told me about it prior. The seller said "it's nothing", but I beg to differ especially when you have a dealership. He called a repairman and wanted me to pay for it, uh...no. He paid $70.

The van wasn't detailed and had dog hair and dirty screens and carpet. Then the driver side window motor wasn't working. The mechanic brought me a bill for $196.51 and it said nothing about the pulley and bearing just freon and a/c refrigerant recover, and the original $75 pre-buy inspection. Also, the switch to the tv/vcr wasn't replaced. I asked the mechanic why it didn't say anything about a pulley and bearing on the invoice. He said he didn't do the work, but he is the one I requested do it, since he said I needed it. He had me call the person who did it and he said it didn't need a pulley and bearing, just freon and said he didn't charge me for the oil. He said he did the work because Sean aka Jesse was late for work...

I asked dealer to plug in the shore power so I could test everything. They began repairing the window motor. The air bag sign kept coming on, not just at start up.

There were these holes at the bottom of the van and I wanted to know what they were there for, but he didn't know. Like at the rear quarter panels, at the bottom all along the van in different places. There were 3 on one side but 2 on the other side. There were more holes along the van and I just wanted to know why. Any way, highdesertranger thinks they were for some trim, but it was a little odd to me. The holes didn't match on both sides. The interior lights on each side of the bed/couch didn't work or the bulbs were burnt out. Is it just me or should he have replaced the bulbs or one of them should have told me about these little things. To me it all adds up, and he didn't want to negotiate one penny and both of them basically said there was nothing wrong with the van? I couldn't inspect the spare because it was under the van and I was wearing a dress.

While the rear a/c was on it began leaking a lot of water on the carpet and on the cushion and cover on the toilet. I told seller and he said again, "it's nothing". I said, oh yes it is. I will be sleeping in here!

I started calling people on here and got their advice. One asked me, what does your gut say, and mine said no, don't buy it. The seller said he would take it to his mechanic tomorrow morning to see about the a/c. Another person I called said tell the seller to take it to a shop that specializes in air conditioning only, get it diagnosed and show me what is wrong with it in writing. He also told me I wasn't responsible for paying that mechanics bill because we didn't have a contract. He also reminded me that they didn't even do the work that they were supposed to do and just did something I didn't request or authorize. At this point I was ready to call it quits.

I started calling about getting insurance on it. Pretty much everyone wanted to do a credit check on me for it. What? I don't understand. They said it's TX policy...I called Progressive, Rob's company and they said they wouldn't insure me because I don't have another car, that they don't want to take that risk!? Huh? I've never been refused insurance. I don't have any tickets or accidents. The whole day wasn't very much fun and it started raining.

Any way, Rob searched for a Southwest flight for me and the rates are sky high over $500 one way. I don't have time to waste because I need to get back to my cat. I don't know how much time I will have with him and he is not okay right now. He is in a large cage and is hissing at other cats who are trying to check him out. He is the sweetest thing, so I know he must be very stressed. He never hisses.

I haven't had a chance to check any other airlines. I may try Amtrak. I just want to go home at this point. It's past midnight now and I am in a motel that has people hanging outside my door talking and carrying on over and over. I also heard a couple of planes that sounded like they were about to crash in the motel, lol :( At least I have wifi.

They gave me the carfax report and said they would register it, but I needed the TX address. Why would I drive 4 hours tomorrow for the address and then still have to come back another time to get a license because I didn't bring a birth cert. or passport. I think I might have to start looking into getting my domicile in another state because I can't even get insurance on an RV.

I only got about 2 hours sleep last night because of packing, etc. I have had a very long stressful day, and so has Rob. I felt sorry for him, and he needed medication, but didn't bring any. That just made things more stressful. I am very grateful he was here to help.

Oh yeah, and we called the dmv to verify what they needed from me to get my TX license. Escapees club is GIVING OUT THE WRONG INFORMATION. The dmv wants your birth certificate or passport. My passport is expired and my birth certificate is at home. Escapees say you just need to surrender your valid license from another state and show social security card. We called the dmv 3 times and verified it.

I think I am leaving something out...oh well. Whatever happens I will chalk this up to a learning experience and think I won't go any further than one state. It seems to have been a bad idea given all my circumstances.

Oh yeah, I never even got to test drive it because they still were working on it when we left and the cheap &^%$#@#@ couldn't put gas in it. It was on empty and he said he put gas in it when he supposedly had it inspected today. How much 50 cents? And why didn't he have it inspected before, just wasting more of our time waiting.

I'm sorry I know I sound very unhappy. That's because I am. I am so tired of looking for vans. A friend suggested I wait until after I sell my condo and get a nice one. I think that's a great idea. So, as it stands, I don't trust either the mechanic or the dealer, and might just start searching how to get back home ASAP. I have to check out before 11 or I will lose my $30 deposit. I had to pay $60 for the room. Wish I had better news. P.S. Rob don't take this personally. It really has nothing to do with you.

It's challenging buying out of one's comfort zone! I'm sorry xfile! (the holes on the bottom are for body moldings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts