Anyone here that can help me A.S.A.P. choose a good van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so the seller might be buying a car in northern CA.  If the mechanic checks my van out tomorrow and everything's okay, seller could drive the van to me on the way to his destination!  Any thoughts if that's a good idea?  Won't know until tomorrow.  He said he will drive it to the mechanic I chose tomorrow.  I'm just waiting for him to call tomorrow.

Hmm, I like the idea. Also proves that the van is in good enough health to make a long drive.

That arrangement would work out well I think...hopefully you would have a friend along when you meet up, or maybe plan the meet at a bank, an auto shop, or someplace else that's handy and secure.

The Police Dept is a block from his dealership if you come here. If at your place a bank or a police station is good. Since he is a dealer there are are a few less worries.

They are licensed and bonded and from what I read of him he has been in business for awhile.

RobndaHood said:
The  Police Dept is a block from his dealership if you come here. If at your place a bank or a police station is good. Since he is a dealer there are are a few less worries.

They are licensed and bonded and from what I read of him he has been in business for awhile.

That's really good to know...I have a police dept. about 5 minutes away.  Thanks!

For me personally, I'd be inclined to meet at local MVD to ensure the transfer of ownership happened that day.

CautionToTheWind said:
For me personally, I'd be inclined to meet at local MVD to ensure the transfer of ownership happened that day.
If I have to go there I would have robndahood to go with me :) and he says the police dept is a block away from the dealer.  My only problem is my cat.  He needs meds and I need to get back ASAP.  I would love to do the registration, license and all and go to Escapees, but time is of the essence.  I would have to come back to TX to do all or part of that.  Escapees says I can do the registration thru the mail, but need to come there for the drivers license.  If it's done here, my dmv isn't far. So many details...Thanks.

Could you put the cat up at a groomers or vet for a few days and let them administer the meds?

This would help with your scheduling.

I did a general vin check and it's not reported stolen or salvage title reported.

tx2sturgis said:
Could you put the cat up at a groomers or vet for a few days and let them administer the meds?

This would help with your scheduling.

Yes, I just talked with a cat rescue friend of mine and she might be able to take care of him.  Hopefully he will be bringing it here,  Thanks!

If you know what your Tx address will be and you do it here the dealer can do all of the paperwork including registration etc.

RobndaHood said:
If you know what your Tx address will be and you do it here the dealer can do all of the paperwork including registration etc.
Escapee club can give me an address, but they need the paperwork for the address either mailed into them or given to them in person.  I need to notarize it if I mail it.  If I do it in person, I think the only Escapees is in Livingston, TX I don't need to notarize it.    So many details...

I just called seller. They wouldn't sell him the car in CA so he wouldn't be driving the van here. I would have to fly there. What does anyone think of me asking him to trade my car for the van, since I have to sell it any way and he buys cars? Sorry, but I'm not going to show the van on the thread. In case you didn't know, I have an '05, 325i BMW Sedan, fully loaded with 63,000 miles.

Also, he said tomorrow the van will be getting new radiator, thermostat, wires, tune-up and something else, he was talking fast. I think I will only wait one more day bc if I want to register it & go to Escapees, I can only do that M-F, and my cat will be stressed out any way from leaving him with someone he doesn't know. Seller also brought up that he knows vehicle delivery companies, but needed my exact address to give him which I didn't. I asked for just a rough guess, and he said around $500 could be more or less. I told him never mind, I would still fly there - would be cheaper.

Personally, I'm wary of any ads that indicate a new radiator. It's a common replacement but to me it indicates that the vehicle may have overheated in the past. Sometimes that means damage to the engine has occurred that may not easily be detected.

He didn't write in the ad about a new radiator. He told me by phone and is doing other things like tune-up, wires, thermostat, etc. I will confirm everything tomorrow and have a mechanic inspect it. I have an airline ticket for next week because of the special I had to snatch it up. Wish me luck.

fyi, I had a delay in getting the van inspected by a mechanic.  I have one looking at it now and he said he would do a compression test, and check it with the shore power to see how everything works.  He's owned 2 vehicles like the one I am looking at so I am much more confident that he will do a good job.  He said it will take 1.5 hrs.  Wish me luck.  I will fly there tomorrow if its good. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts