Anyone here that can help me A.S.A.P. choose a good van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bonvanroulez said:
In 1984 that van came with a four speed automatic 700R4 transmission. It should do just fine on the highway. 

Yes if its a 4 speed auto then it will handle highway running without a problem.

Its something to ask the seller.

XFILE36 said:
Would you have a rough estimate of the interior dimensions?  Thanks for the info.

It's been almost 10 years since I had my shorty van. I do recall that the cargo floor was just barely 8 feet long; a 4x8 sheet would fit flat on the floor and the rear doors close. The height was right about 48", the width about 68". Width and height are same as a full length van.

Last Friday I told the owner of the #2 van to get the title/registration and I'd come look at it. (NOTE: He didn't divulge he didn't have the title until right before I was going there and I had to ask. ) Well, he just decided to text me saying he got the title and sold the van, just to rub it in...so many horrible people out there...so little time and energy for them...I may be taking a break from looking.

One thing about vehicle hunting, a person has to be somewhat detached to an expectation.

So, for today I will have $7,200 to buy a van. The check I deposited had a partial hold so I will have to wait if it's over that, maybe another week?

Unless you already  have a savings/emergency fund set up, I strongly suggest that you don't pour it all in to the vehicle.

Personally, I like to see anyone that is living on a limited low income have enough to cover at least the price of a transmission or new engine so minimum $2,000. Ideally more than that but it's a start. Not that it needs to be kept specifically for that but that's a good starting point in thinking of it that way.

If an emergency ever hits, you've got the funds to fix things and deal with whatever life throws your way whether it's a couple of nights in a motel room in East Nowhere.

A vehicle emergency is stressful enough without having to worry about how you're going to pay for it.

Almost There said:
Unless you already  have a savings/emergency fund set up, I strongly suggest that you don't pour it all in to the vehicle.

Personally, I like to see anyone that is living on a limited low income have enough to cover at least the price of a transmission or new engine so minimum $2,000.

Right!  Good thinking.  TY

Hey everyone, I may have found my van in TX. The guy's a mechanic and has a shop, also sells cars and has a car lot. He said nothings wrong and been kept up well. Only it may need radiator flush. I could hire a mechanic to look at it, if he thinks it's good, I could send a deposit via Walmart, then fly there to TX, get my license and register it. What do you think? Do I need to get a mail forwarding there? Any input on becoming a TX resident would be helpful and insurance is another thing..TY

XFILE36 said:
Hey everyone, I may have found my van in TX.  The guy's a mechanic and has a shop, also sells cars and has a car lot.  He said nothings wrong and been kept up well.  Only it may need radiator flush.  I could hire a mechanic to look at it, if he thinks it's good, I could send a deposit via Walmart, then fly there to TX, get my license and register it.   What do you think?  Do I need to get a mail forwarding there?  Any input on becoming a TX resident would be helpful and insurance is another thing..TY

I think most here would advise against travelling so far to get a van. People do it (eBay,etc.) and it can turn out fine but you chance losing the travel expense/time if doesn't work out. I know you're under pressure to get one soon but that approach for a purchase will add even more and almost force you to make a quick decision that may turn out bad. Everything negative that applies to CL sellers (holding the vehicle, clear title, honesty) would apply to this seller also. The fact that he has a shop and sells used cars doesn't mean much. What are the costs involved in travel to TX?

Also, what are the particulars of this van?

X, I know you dont want to post the ad, but if you want to PM me the link I can look it over...

No, I'm not going to go buy a van, so no worries there, I already have one.

BTW, did you see the one I linked in the trading post?

tx2sturgis said:
X, I know you dont want to post the ad, but if you want to PM me the link I can look it over...

No, I'm not going to go buy a van, so no worries there, I already have one.

BTW, did you see the one I linked in the trading post?

i will pm you.  I am in a crunch for time.  He just texted me and has someone coming to look at it 2:30 pm.  which one in the trading post?  don't think i saw it...I saw one and he changed his mind and is keeping it

Is it a red flag if the seller doesn't want to use paypal for a deposit and only wants to do Walmart or Square to Square money transfer?

Not if he doesn't have a PP account. He may be wary of scams involving PP....and out of town buyers.

Hi everyone, I wish I could amend my initial paragraph/thread, but here is what I want. After doing more research, listening to others who are helping and giving me advice, I pretty much want to stick to CHEVY vans, either class B or not. I also cannot get a class C now or anything obvious that is a camper. They're not allowed where I live at the moment and I need as much stealth as possible to travel. I want space and a high top, but a high top is not necessary. If I can get a good deal on a van, I can get A high top installed. The company I called in AZ charges about $2,500-$2800 for one installed. http://www.discountvantruck.com/vantopsraisedroofs/vantops.htm I've heard Bob speak of a company in CA. Does anyone know their name? Thank you VERY much to everyone who is helping me! I am waiting for a call to test a Chevy right now...

XFILE36 said:
Hi everyone, I wish I could amend my initial paragraph/thread, but here is what I want. After doing more research, listening to others who are helping and giving me advice, I pretty much want to stick to CHEVY vans,

A good choice.

OK, so I originally was told to stay under 100,000 miles. Is this true for Chevy's and what is everyone's opinion about mileage? How high should I go?

That's hard to answer because with any one vehicle there are so many variables. How it was used, how it was maintained, what kind of mechanical history it may have. With used vehicles it can be hard to know what's what. Even if you have it checked out by a knowledgeable mechanic, problems can still arise. In your situation, that's really the only option. Just try to find a mechanic that is honest.

Also, under 100K with your budget wouldn't be impossible but more difficult. Average mileage is about 12.5k/year, so that would (roughly) mean an 8 yo van. Research what 2009 vans are priced at. Both on CL plus NADA values, KBB, Edmunds. Just keep in mind there can be a huge differences in how vans are equipped and that will be reflected in the price. There are even different valuations for different areas of the country.

You may already know this so sorry if I'm repeating advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts