Anyone here that can help me A.S.A.P. choose a good van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
XFILE36 said:
Looks very nice!  I just left my phone number.  THANK YOU!
She called, everything works except A/C needs recharged.  (A/C is important to me).  Can that be fixed??  It's West Hollywood near Robertson Blvd.  She recommends One Stop Mechanic in West Hollywood and wants to go to a mechanic near her.  I told her I would get back today or in AM...need appt for mechanic first. 

The other one "carb'd 85 GMC fully contained high top van (kitchen etc)...88k miles"  justed texted and will call 9pm tonight.

Caution to the Wind, or anyone know a mechanic for tomorrow in West Hollywood?  The other you already know where  (the one you'd buy).  THANK YOU

I haven't heard from my fb post yet (people in my area from your area).

I just checked 1 Stop Mechanic on yelp... great reviews: https://www.yelp.com/biz/one-stop-auto-shop-west-hollywood?osq=mechanic Based on their reviews, that's where I would go.

If you can get the 77k van set-up and passes inspection I'd go that direction (buying that one). Being newer and perhaps more "safety" features versus the 85.

p.s. I need to make dinner! Be back afterwards...

XFILE36 said:
She called, everything works except A/C needs recharged.  (A/C is important to me).  Can that be fixed??  It's West Hollywood near Robertson Blvd.  She recommends One Stop Mechanic in West Hollywood and wants to go to a mechanic near her.  I told her I would get back today or in AM...need appt for mechanic first. 

The other one "carb'd 85 GMC fully contained high top van (kitchen etc)...88k miles"  justed texted and will call 9pm tonight.

Caution to the Wind, or anyone know a mechanic for tomorrow in West Hollywood?  The other you already know where  (the one you'd buy).  THANK YOU

Any vehicle which isn't already running r134a refrigerant will be a huge pain/expense to fix maintain (and sometimes not possible). Conversion is equally as expensive.
In fact, you technically can't have a shop even fill a system that old since it's illegal for them to sell you old refrigerant. Private sales only.

Is any of this information valid? Not sure when the page was created... ???

" The other approach to retrofit is the "quick and cheap" one. On many 1989 through 1993 vintage vehicles, R-12 A/C systems can be converted by simply recovering any refrigerant that is still in the system, adding POE oil (which is compatible with both types of refrigerant), and recharging to 85 to 90% capacity with R-134a."

http://www.aa1car.com/library/retrofit.htm
----

If the owner is f-l-e-x-i-b-l-e on price to recover a/c issues, I would proceed on inspection otherwise I'd pass. Even if the vehicle was near perfect, I wouldn't give them full price.

CautionToTheWind said:
Is any of this information valid? Not sure when the page was created... ???

" The other approach to retrofit is the "quick and cheap" one. On many 1989 through 1993 vintage vehicles, R-12 A/C systems can be converted by simply recovering any refrigerant that is still in the system, adding POE oil (which is compatible with both types of refrigerant), and recharging to 85 to 90% capacity with R-134a."

http://www.aa1car.com/library/retrofit.htm
----

If the owner is f-l-e-x-i-b-l-e on price to recover a/c issues, I would proceed on inspection otherwise I'd pass. Even if the vehicle was near perfect, I wouldn't give them full price.
One thing to note is, I was thinking about getting a window a/c any way when I get my solar system upgraded. Thanks for that link on A/c and all your and everyone's help.  I hope someone can answer your question. :)

The owner of the handicapped van (#1) without working A/C is willing to lower the price a little.  https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/6206065512.html  I'm going to look at it Sunday.  I guess we won't know for sure what exactly is the problem until Monday when the mechanic is open, and then I can try to negotiate for less.  **The woman called re: (#1) and said they lost the title, but can bring her handicapped mother to the DMV to directly transfer it to me.  Since I am not used to doing this, how and when should I give her the money, if I decide on this van.

So far, I will be looking at (#2) https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/6203140761.html on Sunday too, and then the Mechanic on Monday.  He said he never transferred it from his friend's name to his, but will do it.  What the heck is up with these people and their titles?

I heard back from (#3) CL EXPIRED listing Class B in Venice with "a carb'd 85 GMC fully contained high top van (kitchen etc)...88k miles...new custom paint job, $5,000 negotiable. "  He was obviously working in a bar and it was noisy.  I only got to ask some questions.  He said he'd call me back, but didn't.  He said it isn't fuel injected and that he installed an extra fuel pump.  He said it is hard on the van to go up in elevation because of the above.  It looked perfect (and CautionToTheWind can vouch for that).  It appears turn-key for me to leave for my journey east.  Is this one I should cross off my list because of the gas pump? Also, HighDesertRanger pointed out that the gas mileage will be less in this type of fuel system...should I pursue this one?

I left a msg for #4, but he hasn't contacted me.  His price was the highest and it doesn't show the mileage.  https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/6168798291.html  It looks purdy though... ;)

Decisions, decisions.  Any more advice is greatly appreciated, especially about non-working A/C.  I am the caretaker of my elderly sick cat, and definitely need the a/c for him.  Thanks for the past advice too. :)

#2 & #3 I would cross off your list...#2 might have liens. #3 should perhaps be used more 'locally' versus running all over the country.

Best to have the title transferred at DMV, or as with here where I am, a 3rd party authorized title transfer/license place...not sure if Cali has those or not.

#1 give her the money AFTER you transfer title while you're visiting.

I found this (CA title transfer places, 3rd party???) https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=vehicle+registration+services&find_loc=Los+Angeles,+CA

If all falls through, you can hire a broker. They'll negotiate for you and likely not only a better deal plus recover their fee costs (here it's about $500). Maybe start another thread about brokers if needed.

I just talked to #4: The van is in Palmdale!!! It's not in the San Fernando Valley, or even L.A. City, but probably L.A County. It has 180K miles on it. Said he bought it a year ago, didn't do a car fax on it, is an aircraft mechanic and did all the work on it. Needs tires, a/c works. No Rust. Has 2 captains chairs and a fold down bench seat/bed. 1 battery w/inverter, tv. Has cosmetic issues in the grill and hiv headlamps; the fitting looks funny by previous owner (s). I told him the price is too high and he needs to change his listing...not in the Valley. He said he could meet me if I was interested. I think I will pass...anyone think otherwise?

Thanks CautionTTW for the last comment. I know people can go to AAA places to do their dmv transactions, so that's probably the same thing you describe. I don't have AAA or any other roadside assistance :( (OK, I know, I couldn't afford it.) I need to get some today. I know there are postings about this, but I am trying to save time. Would AAA be okay to get to cover my car until I sell it and my new van? BTW, when you are disabled you don't have to wait in line at the dmv, there's a separate line. Is that why you suggested a broker CTTW?

GEAUX- PRIUS Cowboy said:
with the AC on the hybrid battery will discharge the engine will kick on recharge the battery and turn off the engine.

Interesting, I didn't know you could do that with the Prius. Makes makes me want to start researching a Prius for when my kids gets old enough to drive and they start driving my car. Good info!

UH...what's going on with this thread....we aren't talking about prius'. Did you post in the wrong thread??

Just ran across this extremely low miles class B. It's over my budget and farther than I wanted to drive, but...It's almost like new, 1991 class B 14K original miles! Full camping van $9400. Anyone think I should look into it? https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/6169773939.html

BTW, I spoke with my local mechanic and he said it could take between $100-800 to fix the a/c in #1, which is fine.

I think I will only be looking at #1 above so far tomorrow, maybe #2.

XFILE36 said:
UH...what's going on with this thread....

Someone was offering an opinion is all. No big deal.

Cyndi, looks like a mistake. I ONLY want a VAN and a LOT of SPACE, AND have a sick cat to live with me. How is a Prius helping?

Opinions are not always helpful....

Lets not derail your thread any further

XFILE36 said:
BTW, when you are disabled you don't have to wait in line at the dmv, there's a separate line.  Is that why you suggested a broker CTTW?

I'm suggesting a broker because you tell them what you want and they search for it. Saves you time/money and negotiating headaches.

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Anyone think I should look into it? [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/6169773939.html[/font]

Because it's a one owner, they likely won't budge [much] on price.

Status
Not open for further replies.