Anyone here that can help me A.S.A.P. choose a good van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I am getting a bad learning experience from CL. The woman who set an appointment up for me for Sunday (the one with no A/C) told me (via text = how brave she wasn't) that she sold the van. I just spoke to her a few hours prior to confirming our appt tomorrow. She promised me TWICE that she would hold it for me because I had to drive so far and my mechanic friend was driving from Orange County in this 100+ degree heat. What in the world do people think their words and promises mean??

A good thing is I still have another one to see tomorrow (with A/C). I have spoken with him several times and he seems like an honorable person. Only time will tell...

Thanks for the links. I am looking for a VAN only under 100,000 MILES. I need somewhat stealth, since I will be living in it in a city for a time, as well as traveling and parking...who knows where. Thank you for your help.

My electricity has gone out up until now (not fun in high heat.) This is a friendly reminder to ALL, I was hunting for candles, etc. Lan line didn't work either. Of course the candles weren't on the ready, especially while trying to get rid of the contents of the sticks and bricks, Argh!

CL is a catch 22. My biggest issue as of late has been all the spam after I post something, haha. That said, I did find my new van and was able to drive 4 hours one way to go pick it up this morning.

Congratulations and all the very best to your new home :p

Last night I asked the guy (#2) when the van was last registered. He said his cell didn't work because of the electricity being out, but he still could text me but couldn't talk? and said, "Expires Sept. 2017". I told him I didn't ask when it expires, I asked when you last registered it. I got the same answer, so it looks like if I bought it I would have to pay the penalties for not registering it for almost a year. Those vans were not meant to be.

I just want to remind everyone that I currently live in a condo with 2 covered parking spaces with just under 7' clearance. I also don't think they allow full-on campers. If I get a hightop van I may be able to switch with a neighbor who has uncovered parking if the van is 7 feet or above. I also only want a VAN-type under 100K. I will be staying in a city for a time and don't think there is much if not any free/cheap camping. Thanks everyone for your help,and the new search continues...

CautionToTheWind said:
I'm suggesting a broker because you tell them what you want and they search for it. Saves you time/money and negotiating headaches.
CautionToTheWind,  Thanks.  I didn't know there were people who did that.  I want to try myself first, but it's nice to know about them in case I change my mind.  Have you ever used a broker?  I kind of already don't trust them, meaning, I would think they might overcharge me.  I know they have to make a living too right?  If I were independently wealthy I would try that route now.  After I am out from under my mortgage/hoa dues things will be a little easier financially.

If I had a dollar for everyone who told me they were coming to look at a vehicle I had for sale and never showed up I could supplement my SS quite nicely.  I always tell people who call "first person here with the money gets it".  You may be sincere but that person you're talking to doesn't know you from Adam.  If he or she holds it and tells others they have to wait until you look at it and you don't like it they're screwed because the other people are already gone.  Try putting yourself in their place.  As far as the "when was it last registered question, obviously it was last registered in Sep 2106 or it wouldn't be expiring in Sep 2017.  I'm not trying to be unkind, but just relax a little and the right one will come along.  When something I've been wanting is gone before I get it I feel like it wasn't supposed to be and I probably missed some problems I didn't need.

P.S. My thought process is very stressed because of the getting rid of my stuff and trying to search for a van. I just recently realized that I can't park a camper here so sorry for any confusion on anyone who showed me one. I love them, just not the first rig I can get.

I know the right one will come along and that those weren't meant to be. I'm not used to buying cars. Last one I bought was from the dealer and was close to new. I just assume when you list an auto, you have the title. The two I wanted to see didn't have titles. I think it should be a rule that you have to have one to even list it in CL. Any reason why a title isn't necessary?

Re: Putting myself in someone else's shoes, if I promise you I will wait a day for you, YOU HAVE MY WORD. It's just one day. People don't know what integrity and honor is nowadays.

Gideon33w said:
I was a 33W in the Army. Military Intelligence Systems Maintainer/Integrator.
Thank you for your service.   :)

If I am looking for a vehicle, I check-mark the "Clean" title status on CL. Greatly reduces waste of time...

dr_nelson said:
If I am looking for a vehicle, I check-mark the "Clean" title status on CL. Greatly reduces waste of time...

I wasn't aware of that option, so thanks.

33 years old and only 58,000 miles....hmmmm.

That's less than 2000 miles a year.

Or possibly the odometer quit working long ago? Or rolled over way past 100,000.

It looks like it might have been stored or maybe, restored, at some point.

Part of the value there is because of the classic status...it might be worth a closer look.

Vehicles from that era are usually pretty easy to work on and maintain, and parts are always available somewhere.

Expect mileage in the 9 to maybe 13 mpg range.

Hard to tell, but it probably has a 3 speed automatic...(no overdrive) and was geared for the 55 mph limit at the time, so it probably wont be very fast on the highway.

Just observations so any info the seller has would override my guesses.

tx2sturgis , Thanks for the questions I can ask when they respond. I'm not liking the low mpg. What does overdrive mean?

Well, its an old design, very sturdy engine, but with carburetors it wont get that great of fuel mileage. Tune-ups are pretty easy though.

Overdrive is a taller gearing for relaxed highway speeds. So if its a 3 speed, the engine will probably rev pretty high when going above about 60-70 mph. Meaning poorer gas mileage.

Its not a deal-killer, but it just means that you wont be burning up the highway at 80 mph all day long.

Most modern vehicles do have an overdrive gear, especially since the speed limits are higher now than they were back then.

tx2sturgis said:
Hard to tell, but it probably has a 3 speed automatic...(no overdrive) and was geared for the 55 mph limit at the time, so it probably wont be very fast on the highway.

In 1984 that van came with a four speed automatic 700R4 transmission. It should do just fine on the highway. 

Be aware that the van is a "shorty", its cargo area is about two feet shorter than a usual full-size cargo van, and only about two inches larger than an Astro van.

Would you have a rough estimate of the interior dimensions?  Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts