Working Can Make you Feel Better

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanTrekker

Reaction score
<p>I'm into my second week at the new job and it feels pretty dang good.&nbsp; (the auto parts store).&nbsp; Being on the feet has been painful at times - it's taking some getting used to.&nbsp; Management is good to let me train during the slower periods (sitting in front of a computer).&nbsp; It really helps with the soreness.<br /><br />It's a real self esteem booster to find something I enjoy doing and seem to be good at.&nbsp; Even if it's just putting on an elderly lady's license plates or installing wiper blades, it is a chance to do something kind for someone.&nbsp;&nbsp;Little things like that make a person feel useful.<br /><br />Don't get me wrong - I love driving around and camping&nbsp;in the van.&nbsp; Wearing tie dye and visiting cool new places frequently&nbsp;is fun but watching your financial reserves slowly dwindle is stressful.&nbsp; Failing at job after job is no picnic either.&nbsp; I was sinking into a deep depression and began to feel more and more at odds with the world. It was like, "What is the matter with me?&nbsp; Am I that bad of a worker?"&nbsp; A feeling of worthlessness was setting in - much of it from a lack of understanding from family members and neighbors.<br /><br />The new job has helped lift the mood.&nbsp; If I got fired tomorrow, the effects of just the last week&nbsp;of working would be long lasting.&nbsp;&nbsp;Feeling valued by the new bosses and&nbsp;that&nbsp;I'm making a tiny difference by helping customers who really appreciate it, is too fulfilling for words.&nbsp; It adds some balance back to a person's life.&nbsp; <br /><br />No, I don't think the key to happiness rests only in a job but going to one that you can at least tolerate&nbsp;- if perhaps even LIKE - helps.&nbsp; It&nbsp;is better than Prozac.&nbsp; Extra gas money is a good thing, too!<br /><br />V.T.</p>

<br /><span style="font-family: 'comic sans ms', sans-serif;"><strong>Inspiring &amp; uplifting post, VT! It gives desperate &amp; <br />depressed ol' sods like me a glimmer of hope!</strong></span><br /><br /><span style="font-family: 'comic sans ms', sans-serif;"><strong>Happy for ya, too! Hope the job works out well for ya! :)<br /></strong></span><br /><br />

I am delighted to hear this! Good for you!<br /><br />There is one obvious flaw in your post though. You seem to be unaware how much value you have here at CRVL. Anytime you need a little self-esteem boost, think about how much your contributions here...... your honest sharing and ability to persevere....do for the rest of us on a daily basis.&nbsp;<br /><br />You are certainly one of my heroes :)

VanTrekker said:
<p>The key to happiness rests only in a job but going to one that you can at least tolerate&nbsp;- if perhaps even LIKE -&nbsp;is better than Prozac. &nbsp;<br />V.T.</p>
<br /><br />Words to live by! Uplifting-

VT job well done and thank you for sharing. &nbsp;It adds insight to this lifestyle as well.

Congrats on landing a job in this economy. I too have returned to full time work recently selling auto parts.

I hope the job works well for you.&nbsp; I had to bail out...&nbsp; They wouldn't let me take a break.&nbsp; After working for six hours on my feel without being able to rest a few minutes, I decided it's not worth it...&nbsp; <br /><br />I hope your new job works out well.&nbsp; Thankfully, in this area there are many entry level jobs which work for the needs... The only problem is they seem to want a twenty year old athlete...<br /><br />VT

I hear ya, I spent a lil over a year with the same outfit you were with and they did work my tail off. I am now with a much smaller outfit and it's pretty laid back in comparison.

Latest posts