How do you organize your life and keep from getting overwhelmed?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Gary. I've been keeping a journal for the past couple years. I wish I had realized earlier in life how journaling my thoughts, feelings, and ambitions helps me prioritize and organize. Journaling helps me reject some ideas, and tag others for further study. It improves my focus.

When I began my box truck project last May, I had read - in this forum I think - about how easy it was to get overwhelmed. Lots to learn, materials and components to source, add some time pressure and/or life's usual misadventures and sure - easy to get overwhelmed. So I've kept a project journal. It has really enhanced my enjoyment of the project. I don't do anything on the project that I haven't written about first.

And absolutely I have to concede time to domestic chores and errands. But my journal helps me decide when that time is. It's a little like scheduling, but more like just giving it a little thought so that I'm mentally prepared to knock it out, and I'm comfortable that I've planned a reasonable number of tasks for the time I've set aside.

AND I keep things childishly simple.

I seek simplicity in all I do. I have found that scheduling only controls me. Don't get me wrong, my current job is all about time management and maximizing the use of my time. When I'm off, it's all about me. When I am traveling, I do look ahead and decide where I am going and what needs to be done along the way, but I don't make my schedules so rigid that I let it control me. Each day I begin by looking at my to do list and set about doing what needs to be done. Like the good book says, let the worries of today be sufficent. Let tomorrow be anxious for itself.
Been a long time.
Today I slept really late-- 4 PM -- Got up and made up my mind to put my pants on - one leg at a time.. that took a while to decide, yes or no-- It's raining out, no company coming so decided that the extra effort was not needed. --- Next effort that took priority was put on the coffee pot - can't live without coffee ya know, besides I needed something to wash down my pills anyway-- Can't eat anything for a while after taking meds..
For the last few weeks I've been working on my solar stuff, --- oh -- I forgot that I've not written about that project-- Ordered 4 panel kit which included controller. 400 watts ridged panels etc.
Anyway, Long story short, assembled panels on the ground, well not on the ground, but on saw horses, Then found out that I was not strong enough to lift them up to the roof of my trailer- Took them all apart again and did the assembly on the roof, One at a time..
Last Friday, I drove to town and purchased two deep cycle batteries, Already had one on hand for a total of three.---Anyway, A little at a time, I got the wires run but not hooked up..
Last night- after dark, I drilled the holes for the battery cables, ran them inside and attached them to the batteries... That's as far as I got, wore right out --- that's why I slept all day today.
SOOO--- This evening, before dark, I checked the polarity , you know, measure twice and cut once deal - Hooked everything up to the controller and wa-la It worked!!!... still raining off and on...but enough day light that I did get some charge current, Tomorrow will be the real test.
I'm so excited that I can't stand it - I'm going to use the system that I've invented to perk another pot of coffee and then just sip and bask in the glory of a job well under way--- and actually working.
Oh-- another thing-- I forgot to eat anything.. and another thing .. Lots of other things that I've forgotten-- I keep forgetting things -- I did put my pants on and shoes and found up my hat.. Now where is my shirt? I know I had one around here somewhere.
I did make a list but I can't find that either. It'll turn up?
Ok-- review- spent $500 on solar stuff -- $150 on batteries, another $100 on stuff Like cables and clamps, wire ends and so on. More to come but unknown at this time.
Now I can perk coffee with lights inside. Pretty expensive cup of coffee.
I think I'll skip breakfast and just go for a hamburgler- got onion and tomato, that's good enough.
Pickup is still rusty but I think it still runs. Cost of fuel for travel and stuff is out of hand, so I won't be going far.
One good thing, My watch still keeps time - sort of.

step #1, quit stressing out over having days that are not optimal for accomplishing a lot. You need to have time off to relax and recharge. That is why after going off camping you were energetic when you got back.
If you spend a lot of time beating up on yourself you are increasing your stress levels and that is why you can't keep focused on a task list. In other words you are in an endless loop of wearing yourself out with frustration over not getting enough done.
Prioritize, do the essential stuff first and don't sweat the small stuff. Quit trying to solve all the problems at once. Give yourself permission to say, tomorrow is another day and there are more days after that.

Anon who started this thread has not logged into the forum since April 22, 2022. If you want to post a reply to them of course you can but it likely will not get read by the OP.

Anon who started this thread has not logged into the forum since April 22, 2022. If you want to post a reply to them of course you can but it likely will not get read by the OP.
I am aware of the long laps of log in time but I just had the over powering urge to write something, I was excited about some long term plans coming together.
I live alone - since my wife died, I have no one to talk to and be excited with.
Of course I could just go out and talk to myself I suppose
Being on here is about the same as talking to myself -- However it feels less like being crazy in the head.
I also know that no one really cares about my little victories, but unloading here gives me relief from loneliness that seems to overcome me from time to time.
I'm probably one in a million who was joined with another person (my Linda) as if we were one being, Until death do us part, but In my mind, we'd just die together, never thought we'd ever die separately.
It happened --- and now---- Well, I just talk to myself and write these words as if SHE was listening and taking part and lending a hand or a thought and some one to bring things to and, and, and------
I did give up at one time - stopped eating and drinking - well you know the story,
A nosey neighbor had to get involved and call some one to haul me off to a hospital and then a head shrinker "to put my mind right".
SO-- now that "my mind is right". Ya-all are stuck with me.
OH-- and little secret--- Men don't cry where anyone can see. The strong silent type.
I'll think on your words, might be better if I just kept my thoughts and words to myself rather than cast them into space. I'll think on it.

I know this is gonna sound weird and isn't strictly about van life, but since I'm going to be about that life I figured it would be useful to get a vehicle dweller's perspective on the issue.

Lately I've been feeling like I'm getting overwhelmed. Like there's way too many things that need to be taken care of. Especially before making the move to live out of my vehicle and move out West.

Every weekend I spend in my hotel room, I just feel like there's a lot to do, but like I'm kind of just...Floating adrift in my mind, and what time I'm not spending floating, I'm frantically running around trying to do all sorts of things, from:

• Doing laundry
  • Washing dishes
  • Cleaning my room
  • Budgeting
  • Doing taxes
  • Buying groceries
  • Buying personal care items
And it's like the list goes on, and I feel like I'm not really doing anything I really want to do, but I'm almost certain that part of it is that I'm not spending my time effectively. And I mean the main things I want to do, like writing stories and songs, meditating, and working out, can be done in small 15-30 minute bursts every day during the work week. The only things I can't really do during the work week is go hiking, go socializing, practice drawing, and do chores.

I've created schedules before to try and remedy this but they often go astray or I lose track of them for some reason. The Google Calendar notifications on my phone often end up going ignored and dismissed as more annoying notifications.

I kind of feel like I'm also falling into the trap of thinking I need to spend more money on more things before I'm ready to take the leap, and what that's going to do is drain more of my money and require me to work this job longer and further delay my move.

Like, do I even need a generator and a cook stove to stay fed? I've got a warm sleeping pad and a wool blanket and sleeping bag. And I plan on getting a duffel bag for my clothes and using it as a pillow if need be. Isn't that enough for me to jump?

Am I doing something wrong? How do you guys organize your life?
I'm at the jump off point myself and find procrastination to be a distraction from doing what I need to launch. My dog won't get in the car, for one, and I'm not set on where to go now..I don't wanna spend anymore money staying here..I wish I could just go

If you post about the dog not getting in your vehicle in the pets section of the forum you will receive a lot of excellent advice on how to change that issue.

I can't say enough for making a "List" and doing some planning/reading before going out. But a newbie needs to learn early not to overthink or over plan things. (it will make you feel more & more compressed...when you need to be feeling decompressed) It's like watching a race car rev up it's engine and smoke the tires.......and yet never crossing the starting line.

Once you are out there you'll likely find much isn't quite like you imagined. This is the point at which you will begin to learn to "let go" and relax. This may be so contrary to what you've known for so long.

As for what you "need", learning to live a more minimalistic life style while learning to get a couple or more uses out of each item you carry along with you is a good start.

Try to keep in focus that your reason for pursuing the Nomad life is to get away from this worry-some manner you've over learned. Granted, not knowing what to expect may keep your mind spinning needlessly.

Awhile back I put together a couple of websites to help new people with this stuff. The first "Van Conversion" is to help with setting up a rig of some kind. The second, "edjautoservices" is a portal of info & links to use on the road to help be safe, and have helpful, handy information readily available. It's all free too. These sites are below in the signature line.

Good luck and all the best.

The next website I'm considering producing is directed towards "affordable & quality nutrition while on the road". Foods which won't require much more than a simple hikers stove and boy scout mess kit to cook with. It will appear in the edjautoservices website when I finish it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went for a run in the forest and unsurprisingly it not only cleared up the brain fog, but gave me a lot more energy, and I've been busy knocking things out on a to-do list all afternoon now.

I cleaned out my vehicle and got it prepped for sleeping in while boiling my hard-boiled eggs for the week, and now I'm going to do taxes and fold clothes while listening to a podcast that I like.

I really should get checked for ADHD, but it may not be that. It might just be me eating like crap the last few days. I'm eating a salad now.
Yes, exercise and good food (organic as much as possible and no processed foods) will clear up a lot of mental fog and help in other areas. Cooking your own meals out of fresh foods and fresh meat will help with energy, decreased brain fog and generally better health. It all goes hand in hand. Fast foods and processed foods all contain things that are not good for our bodies and brains, even harmful. Sounds like you are getting on the right track. Hope my suggestions help, too. Blessings on your adventure.

Yeah well I usually cook breakfast while doing laundry and washing dishes only takes me 5 minutes tops as well. I usually use a soaped up sponge and some running water and only keep one plate, one bowl, one skillet, and one set of utensils.

Idk, it's like my brain isn't working right today. Maybe lack of sleep combined with eating something wrong. I feel foggy-headed and easily confused, though that's only part of the problem.

At any rate, I will try camping next weekend.
Take a few minutes and think about people in the 1800's and how they lived and traveled. They didn't have much. A way to make fire with wood, a pot or pan to cook in and some blankets to stay warm in and some clothes that didn't keep them anywhere near as warm or dry as our clothes today do. If you are camping and sleeping on the ground in winter (tent or not doesn't matter) you will want a closed cell mattress pad usually 1/2 inch thick). In the summer you can get by with out one and just sleep on the ground like families did on the wagon trains. After a few times of camping with only the basics you will begin to see what you really need and what you really want to add to your camping outfit for convenience, comfort and longer food storage. We boat camped with only bed rolls, a plastic sheet and rope to use if it rained, food, a coffee pot for hot water, a plate, fork and knife per person and a skillet for cooking. This was for a family of four. Now that we are older and our bodies don't adapt to the ground as well we use a 4" foam mattress. You can take food to begin with that is in cans, or fresh like fruit and vegetables that doesn't need a cooler and even frozen meat well wrapped to keep it cold for an over night trip. Hint: Towels and aluminum foil (wrapped around the frozen meat) then well wrapped with towels will keep it cold and frozen for several hours. Remember, once out of the freezer, even with good insulation it begins warming up. With time, you will learn how long it will keep cool enough not to be a problem. Experimenting along the way you may even find better ways to keep it cold longer. Well wrapped, I expect, frozen meat would keep well enough to be safe for at least 48 hours from removing it from the freezer and up to 18 hours if not frozen when wrapped up well. Just don't plan to eat it raw to be sure any surface bacteria is dead. Less is often times better. Less frees us to enjoy our time out of doors. If we carry too much it owns us and we spend too much time caring for it, maybe or maybe not using it. Get your hands on a Boy Scout book about camping, fire building, etc. It will open your eyes to how to do with very little and do it successfully. Happy trails and travels.

Yeah I've suspected for the longest that I might be a high-function ADHD person. It's not like I can't be focused and organized, but it's hard to establish a system, and once that system gets disrupted by a change in lifestyle or living location or a job change, it feels like it takes a month to get back on track because I kind of just...Forget that I created a system to begin with.

I've learned that certain foods make it worse. Coffee makes me extremely focused, energized, and determined. Coffee with milk (especially with sugar added), for whatever reason, has the utmost opposite affect, making me groggy destroying my attention span, and messing me up at work by trapping me inside my head.

If I drink extremely strong black coffee, I don't just get determined, I almost like, start to have grandiose thoughts.

Like one time, I used five scoops of coffee grains and drank coffee, and on the way to the library, I remember feeling like I was in a virtual simulation, and then I started thinking about that villain from Expanse, Marco Inaros, and what would HE be doing in my situation? And then I started thinking about how I could create a rebellion and, it was just crazy.

Then two hours later I just felt exhausted, anxious, had the runs really bad, and was like, "wtf was I thinking?"

Let nobody tell you that caffeine is NOT one HELL of a drug. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it can't alter your mind.
Coffee, caffeine, sugar, alcohol and so many other things mess with our minds and body systems. If we all kept alert as you appear to be to your body's reactions to food and drink we could all avoid many problems. Natural foods untampered with by the food industry are the best for us, including natural herbs for drinks. Water is the primary drink we should all be drinking. If you are hiking, bicycling or involved in other outdoor activities you need to be drinking more water than you would if you were indoors. A 120# adult human needs to drink a base amount of water for optimum function of 2 quarts (64 ounces) per day....THAT IS A MINIMUM....and as activity and heat increase you need to drink more. Here in the desert southwest where the climate is very dry we are not aware we are sweating and can lose a lot of fluid. Here, backpacking, hiking, bicycling and other strenuous activities increases the demand by our bodies to 3 or 4 quarts a day. If you are a person in your group is becoming confused check the amount of water they are consuming. Not enough or way too much, both cause confusion. If a person is not getting enough some salt and water will usually reverse the confusion quickly. Too much, especially at high elevations needs special attention. Slow or even stop the intake of water and get them down to a lower elevation as quickly as possible. A drop of 1000 to 2000 feet in elevation will usually show a turn around and decreased or end of confusion. Mental status is a good indicator of too little water or too much. Remember to get water into the cells where it is needed requires salt. If it doesn't get into the cells you will not be adequately hydrated. Without salt the water mostly stays in the circulating blood and is filtered out by the kidneys. Look up the physiology of the body and study the sodium potassium pump system in the cells for a better understanding of hydration, also the potassium part of the system. Some people who lose salt also lose potassium. Both are critical to life, hydration and mental status.

I have ADHD and you sound a lot like me. I cut off all my app notifications so the only ones I get are my Google calendar. I can't just drop what I'm doing and do something else so I have a notice for my notices. An example would be if I have to leave at 3:30 for a 4 pm appointment, I'll have an alarm at 2 reminding me I have to leave at 3:30 and an alarm at 2:30 telling me I need to get dressed and an alarm at 3 telling me I'm going to be late if I haven't started getting dressed already. All of them help my brain to mentally transition from whatever it is I'm focused on and move to the next task.

Meds would probably make my life a lot easier but I hate the robotic effect they have on me so I have learned to manage without them.
Meds can mess you up in many ways and may cause symptoms that are treated with more meds which may cause more symptoms and the cycle goes on. We are better off to learn ways to deal with life's difficulties without meds. You are wise in learning how to deal with your problems. Also, if you have the time to study and learn herbs and natural medicines you may find many things you can use that rarely cause any kind of problems that will help with health issues, help your body to heal or function naturally.

Deadlines are what is stressful. You will never get away from all of them even after you retire and have a vehicle set my up as you still have ongoing chores and task to accomplish. Moving every 14 days when camping where there is such a limit is a very pesky deadline 🙃