Welcome to the RTR!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang,
Y'all started the party without me? :p

So the big party so far was at HDR's. I would have guessed -- and he has a tent.

Sounds like Low Tech is planning to steal the party title.

I was delayed with family stuff and a twisted knee (my DRIVING knee!) so I'm just now a bit west of Texarkana. This route is new to me... I used to do I-40 for my many trips from NV and NM to "back home." i plan to cruise just north around Dallas and see how far I get tomorrow.

Hope to be there late Friday or at least by Saturday.

Hey
It's not so bad !
Nighttime temps here are in the single digits (above and below zero)
to the teens and twenties when it's warm.
Days , teens all the way up to the 30s !!!!!
Sometimes it rains......OR freezing rain.....OR that other stuff , ya know , the white stuff that we have to shovel and plow and there's usually a total accumulation of 12+ feet of it OR more by the time it gets warm again..

THAT's why I like to go to the desert SW for my winter fun.
Enjoy it , whatever it is ,,,,,I'd be happy to trade places!

Can't wait to meet you writer miss. Don't worry, well have more parties I'm sure. Once you get here you can rest that knee.
One of the youngsters here, Otis has been doing a good job with fire starting and music.

WriterMs said:
Dang,
Y'all started the party without me?    :p

So the big party so far was at HDR's. I would have guessed -- and he has a tent.

Sounds like Low Tech is planning to steal the party title.

I was delayed with family stuff and a twisted knee (my DRIVING knee!) so I'm just now a bit west of Texarkana. This route is new to me... I used to do I-40 for my many trips from NV and NM to "back home." i plan to cruise just north around Dallas and see how far I get tomorrow.

Hope to be there late Friday or at least by Saturday.

Well I think there were more people at the fire tonight than at HDR's last night (where was HDR tonight anyway?), but that being said, the masses were decidedly more sober. So I guess that depends how you rate the size of a party! :cool:

dragonflyinthesky said:
Can't wait to meet you writer miss. Don't worry, well have more parties I'm sure. Once you get here you can rest that knee.
One of the youngsters here, Otis has been doing a good job with fire starting and music.

Thanks for saying so. I'm happy to contribute where I can. You know, at Christmas when you said you would like my music I didn't quite believe you, but now I do.

HarmonicaBruce said:
...why do people all camp so far away from each other?  Also, there didn't seem to be any sort of central focal point (like a stage, or bathhouse, or pavillion).

We are not the type of people who like to park their RVs side by side by side like row houses. We like space. We are boondockers. Besides, we get a little exercise walking around and meeting people. There are a few clusters of friends camped near each other, but they still tend to give each other space, because they don't want to hear neighbors snoring and farting. If you'd stuck around you would have discovered the central meeting spot where seminar sessions are held, where there's a fire pit and a big stack of wood. You wanted a different experience, and that's okay. RTR, the type of people who tend to come, their style of camping, and the desert location aren't for everyone.

Heading out in a few hours after taking care of some things here. It's snowing and in the 20s here right now so I'm looking forward to the weather! I hope to see old friends, and meet new ones starting tomorrow night.

pnwgypsy said:
I have to settle for living vicariously through this thread for now. Have a great time everyone!

You & me BOTH!

actually...I was going to come down for a few quick days, but my best customer just bought 5 new trucks that he wants to put on the road within the next week or so...so I'm now officially SLAMMED!!! :(

(I guess I should be grateful for all the work.)

(...b'sides...the weather seems better up here!!???) :p

I know you're all missing me desperately. It'll be Sunday before I arrive, now.

My son got a dog recently, from a rescue. Now that the dog is feeling good he's developed some serious behavioral issues. Will, my son, has to travel this weekend. In order to give the dog the best possible chance of staying in this home, I volunteered to stay two more days. We are making progress, but it's slow. Any change in schedule/training could set the dog back.

Being a dog lover I understand Will's desire to give this dog a shot. I'll support that since I raised him to understand/believe a dog is a lifetime commitment.

Just yesterday I hugged a woman named Cyndi, thinking it was you! :s  I'm leaving the RTR over the weekend [Sa & Sun] to find my football fix somewhere.  But I plan to return on Monday.  Hope to see you then! PS: The weather is supposed to be better by then, too.

Yes, we're missing you Cyndi! Hope the the dog training goes well.

We're really going to miss not seeing Lesa or Mechanic Mike at all this year. :-(

Looks like I'll be missing the official RTR this year, but should be able to get Zip and Red there for a day or 2 around the end of the month. I guess there'll still be a few hangers about to yuk it up with a little. A friend in Quincey California sounds like he want's to travel together that far.

I have tickets for the World of Outlaws sprint car races just north of Orlando the 12, 13 and 14th of February and a lot of friends to stop and visit on my way across the southern states. So, time will limited at Quartzsite this year. Looking forward to meeting anyone still there.

I hope to leave Fairbanks before the weekend is over.

mockturtle said:
Just yesterday I hugged a woman named Cyndi, thinking it was you! :s  I'm leaving the RTR over the weekend [Sa & Sun] to find my football fix somewhere.  But I plan to return on Monday.  Hope to see you then!  PS:  The weather is supposed to be better by then, too.

I'll be looking for you  on Monday!

Fabber McGee said:
Looks like I'll be missing the official RTR this year, but should be able to get Zip and Red there for a day or 2 around the end of the month. .... So, time will limited at Quartzsite this year. Looking forward to meeting anyone still there.

None of us will be left in Quartzsite, the ranger caught us and gave us all permits so our time is up on the 22nd.

But lots of us will move to Ehrenberg and you can meet us there.
Bob

My life's goal for Saturday is to actually get to the RTR before noon to hand over my chili ingredient cans that I brought.

Went through winds today that slowed my tall, tall van to below 50.... and also kept blowing my driver's side outside mirror so it folded in toward the can. Then went through 3 separate snow squalls (fairly brief each) going west from El Paso.

Just a few of my delays... again. I will NEVER drive through TX again except that panhandle part I have to go through on I-40 for my return trip (if there is a blizzard up there, it will still be better than driving for days through TX).

I "assume" the cooking takes place at the main campfire ring, so I"ll likely drive up close to that to drop things off then go get a permit and find a campsite. Hopefully something near the campfire ring since I have this lovely limp for a bit... but I don't want to crowd anyone. I'm sure I'll find just the right spot as I'm also used to camping with no neighbors.

I'm writing all this and realizing I may not have the time tomorrow to check for any replies. LOL I'll have to set may alarm... oh no!!

See the RTRers soon....
Carla

WriterMs, find your campsite and let the ranger find you. There isn't a place to go get a permit this year. He comes thru and checks for permits on vehicles. If you don't have one, he writes you one on the spot.
And there are plenty of spaces to park. Good luck on your drive today!