Time for a Replacement Van. Struggling...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Van Fan you sure do have a whole lot of restrictions. Some of them would require a big bull dozer and dump trucks to solve
So true! I have been known to put rocks in my own backpack, so to speak. Part of it is my desire/need to ensure my husband's comfort--a definite cost/benefit win for me. (We have considered just cutting his feet off, but I think he's more useful with them.)

BTW, your "flat pack" post above got me thinking about that concept in general. For a decade and a half, I worked part time as a "demo lady" in stores. (It started as a diversion, and I found I actually really enjoyed it. Who knew?) I still have a set of vendor-provided cardboard tables that fold and pack into the top and base. They are amazingly strong, and I use them in tandem for a large rotary cutting table. I probably will not put them in my new conversion, but the idea of light, strong and moveable does, indeed, rule!

Test drove a "stretch", 9-passenger conversion van a few days ago. At 20', I can't decide whether the 20" additional length is worth 1) the extra money, and 2) the extra hassle of driving and parking. It's surprising how much more difficult it seems to drive.

Tomorrow, I'll get out the left-handed van stretcher to see if I can squeeze enough space out of our rear storage to allow a minimal counter behind the driver's seat of a standard length van. (Fortunately, I have one to play with.)

Does anyone have a new-ish Express van? Can you tell me whether the floor between the seats is level? The conversions have a console over that area and it's hard to tell.

Does anyone have a new-ish Express van? Can you tell me whether the floor between the seats is level?
Just read that the annoying hump between the seats is part of the StabilTrak system. We use that space for a variety of purposes, so may need the additional 20" van length to compensate for the loss. Alternatively, once the accessory console is removed, perhaps a level platform could be placed over it. (It's always something...)

Test drove a "stretch", 9-passenger conversion van a few days ago. At 20', I can't decide whether the 20" additional length is worth 1) the extra money, and 2) the extra hassle of driving and parking. It's surprising how much more difficult it seems to drive.

My rig is over 21' with a 164" wheelbase. Tight and crowded parking spots would be a hassle, but I haven't had any problem avoiding them so far. In urban areas I'd be screwed pretty often, but I prefer to avoid those. It just depends on your use case. 20' isn't that long for something you live in.

You can make a little platform over the bump. Since it's level and the bump isn't, you can add sneaky storage to the extra space inside. Almost positive that was something you were interested in a long while back. Multipurpose. Just a thought.

My home (as you can see on the left) is far older. It's a 1998 Chevy Express 3500, and 20 feet long. I had wanted a standard-length van, but the extended is what became available, and so is what I got. Turns out I need those extra 20" for my interior to fit inside (which includes a safe and a clothes washer), so I don't know how I could have gotten by without those extra 20 inches.

The only "hump" I know about is over the engine under the dash. I discovered when I took the turtle shell off (with its glove box, cup holders, and more) there is a far smaller one-piece turtle shell underneath wrapped around the engine. It has a large rubber seal along its edges and is lined inside with heat and sound insulation. I was delighted to find it, as this meant I don't need that bulky outer shell that was over it with cup holders and all. Only a few minutes later, I had already tossed that outer shell into the dumpster, never to be seen again! Without it, I have plenty of foot room to walk internally between the driver's seat and the rest of the van. I did, however, add a screen-door pull on the center of the remaining inner shell, making it easy to lift off and set back. And I found I don't even need to waste time with the straps that tightly secured it to the floor, for the inner shell always stays in place by itself.

Just a general point, in order to avoid condensation on the interior you want insulation in complete contact with the metal skin. Foam is best for this, but rigid board should work on a flat surface such as your cargo trailer.

Lots of ventilation is always a good idea. I'm not familiar with the details of heat exchange ventilation. Is it feasible and affordable for a mobile installation?

Lots of ventilation is always a good idea. I'm not familiar with the details of heat exchange ventilation. Is it feasible and affordable for a mobile installation?

As I recall the guy who owns Total Composites installed one in his van. I think the correct terms are "heat recovery ventilator for rv". I don't think they are common in the US. There are many DIY on youtube.

My home (as you can see on the left) is far older. It's a 1998 Chevy Express 3500, and 20 feet long.

The only "hump" I know about is over the engine under the dash.
Your van is two years newer than mine ('96 Express), so we don't have the hump. Today I got a close look at that area on a new Express cargo van, and I think it's something I can deal with.

Looks like the struggle is over, and paralysis (shock) is setting in. We decided on a standard length conversion van, which will be picked up Monday.

What??? No pictures, descriptions, reasons, or other details for us?
Frankly, I'm just a little embarrassed. It is an expensive vehicle--unlike our old van (sniff). Helping something so very wonderful evolve from a "devalued" item has been a very rewarding journey. Apparently, there's quite a bundle of conflicting emotions at work here. On some level, guilt is one, I think.

One thing I feel very confident about is that after all is said and done, I remain a VanFan! Vans just rock.

I’m guessing Monday we’ll get the scoop and pics…
Monday came and went, and so did we. There were a few minor things on the van we wanted to have taken care of before accepting it. One item remained outstanding today. I hope tomorrow will be the day! There is lots of work to do to make it feel welcoming. I want to get started.

Insurance was an unexpected obstacle. The custom add-ons are only covered up to a limited amount. We reconciled ourselves to that. Then the shocker came: because the chassis is slightly heavier than our old conversion van (2500 vs. 1500), the VIN kicked out as ineligible for coverage by our carrier. After spending around 3 hours in two sessions on the phone with our carrier (USAA) and two of their affiliates (Progressive and Foremost), I was finally able to get the vehicle added to our existing policy. That was not a problem I anticipated!

Such is the way with "valuable" things (and one reason I tend to steer clear of them). I'll be glad when it's "just a (cozy) van" (which, of course, it is).

Last edited:
What are you planning on doing with your previous van? You might have mentioned it already. And I probably forgot the answer lol

What are you planning on doing with your previous van? You might have mentioned it already. And I probably forgot the answer lol
For now, it's "grounded," to save a bit on insurance and to make it easier to move things to the new one. Ultimately, I will need to let it go. (Sniff...)

For now, it's "grounded," to save a bit on insurance and to make it easier to move things to the new one. Ultimately, I will need to let it go. (Sniff...)
I'm sure it'll sell for a decent price, as you've kept it up and improved it. Most of it being documented here. Truly hope you fall completely in love with the new one and make it your own quickly.

Latest posts