Readying for the Cold

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course go ahead.. I am happy to help. 😉
I started looking last night. The names sounded so familiar (where land is cheap and abundant). They are the same places I've been seeing for years on Landwatch. Glad to finally know someone who bought a parcel.

Other areas I've seen often are in AZ, southern Colorado and Nevada and near Klamath River in Oregon, iirc. Oh, rural California, too.

A couple restrictions I have are:

I need to avoid high elevations because my heart has problems (8000 is too high) and I prefer to be 30 minutes or less from a hospital. Other than that, I'll buy just about anywhere:D

I started looking last night. The names sounded so familiar (where land is cheap and abundant). They are the same places I've been seeing for years on Landwatch. Glad to finally know someone who bought a parcel.

Other areas I've seen often are in AZ, southern Colorado and Nevada and near Klamath River in Oregon, iirc. Oh, rural California, too.

I need to avoid high elevations because my heart has problems (8000 is too high) and I prefer to be 30 minutes or less from a hospital. Other than that, I'll buy just about anywhere:D
Show Low Arizona meets your criteria. It has a hospital. It has cheap land nearby, it is right about 6,349 feet elevation. Not a big town but not tiny it is big enough to have a Walmart and other discount stores.
Freezing at night in December, January and February so nomads who buy there go to Quartzsite and Yuma for those months. Of course the cost of a property varies depending on having utilities, a decent road as well as acreage and a view.

Show Low Arizona meets your criteria. It has a hospital. It has cheap land nearby, it is right about 6,349 feet elevation. Not a big town but not tiny it is big enough to have a Walmart and other discount stores.
Freezing at night in December, January and February so nomads who buy there go to Quartzsite and Yuma for those months. Of course the cost of a property varies depending on having utilities, a decent road as well as acreage and a view.
Thank you, Maki. I will check it out!

Southern Colorado lots of places and especially the properties around the Klamath River have lots of rules and whiney people including the county watching... I considered those places as well.
Arizona sounds perfect for you. Show Low, St John's. I just don't like hot summers... It seemed Eastern Central Arizona was pretty tolerant of alternative living......

Yes the 8100 feet has its own issues, I am short of breath constantly when it's really cold.

Southern Colorado lots of places and especially the properties around the Klamath River have lots of rules and whiney people including the county watching... I considered those places as well.
Arizona sounds perfect for you. Show Low, St John's. I just don't like hot summers... It seemed Eastern Central Arizona was pretty tolerant of alternative living......

Yes the 8100 feet has its own issues, I am short of breath constantly when it's really cold.
I believe that many in the RV lifestyle are considering buying land. Well, zoning is important if you want to live in an RV/van. Another thought is community is important. Neighbors can look out for each other, provide transport, car pool, etc.
But, what neighbors? People you know well that would "fit in". If one goes in with others to make a purchase, then we can assume compatability. If you have a fair amount of acreage, one can give other potential tenants a "trial" by leasing to them for 6 months. Love to hear your thoughts.

If I recall correctly you have an off-grid piece of land in Northern NM....so why not spend your winter in or around Southern Arizona? BLM land, LTVAs, etc. You wont have to be freezing your (something) off if you head off into the southern desert. Lots of amenities await...not to mention tolerable weather.

I've been in your part of NM during several winter snowstorms and its gets really nasty up there...they will close lots of those roads due to being impassable with 4+ feet of snow and the government will often use helicopters to drop hay to the stranded livestock.

If you dont have a safe structure to huddle up in and wait out a deep snow event, you might be unable to get food and water since your vehicle could end up immobilized. You might even wake up one morning with the snow up over the roof of your minivan.

Seriously, head south.
Interesting to read about those that spend winters in really cold places. As far as high elevation in NM goes, I would
think south and SE NM would offer much lower elevations for winter, as well as camping on public land.
Of course, most folks have heard about the NM state park pass, which some use year-around. I just find all
the stories entertaining and opportunities to learn, share and maybe even camp with fun people.

Another AZ town that is smallish, with hospital, 2 grocers at a bit more than 5000 ft. There are some rural communities
with mixed housing that might be affordable. Payson, AZ is west of Show Low. It is a mere 90 miles from Flagstaff
(6900 ft) where summers are more bearable, and there is a lot of free camping.

Arizona sounds perfect for you. Show Low, St John's. I just don't like hot summers... It seemed Eastern Central Arizona was pretty tolerant of alternative living.....

Apache County, AZ is underpopulated and poor enough that you can get away with pretty much anything. That would be St John's but not Show Low... although Show Low would be the place where you'd have the hospital and other services.

Need to get very clear on what you want. How you want to live and a million other associated things. Climate, community, cost, legality? There are tradeoffs everywhere, just depends on what you care about the most. High elevation is not good in winter, and is it ok if the hospital is shitty?

If you are thinking of parking your trailer on a piece of land there are all the normal services to think about (and legal requirements that may or may not be enforced), and access will usually be a dirt road of variable and uncertain viability. And if you get lonely in the boonies, it probably doesn't make sense to start with. Everything is easier in town.