SEASHELLS!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INTJohn

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok; I’m officially declaring that my hobby on the road is looking for seashells. It’s been awhile in coming; an evolutionary process I suppose; since it wasn’t anything that really entered my mind as, you know, a goal.

The goal, if there really was a goal was to simply enjoy my life hangin at a warm, sunny, scenic beach but while strolling along the shoreline; the waves, the sun, the horizon, feet in the warm sand; it’s hard not to notice all those shells as well as the numerous other objects that have been wind & wave driven up onto the sand…….

So over time, I found myself realizing just how interesting those snail & scallop skeleton’s really are. This all began several years back and now I’ve amassed a decent collection and will continue this winter, while at the Atlantic Ocean or the Florida Strait or the Gulf of Mexico, to add to it.

IMG_1281.jpeg

Yup! Seashells are so dope! Some are large & some are tiny and they all symbolize the journey of life.. resilience, strength, death, etc. & on top of all that they just plain pretty as hell. What’s not to love!!

intjonny boi livin the dream

Yep I love shell hunting too the best time here though is not so warm, but still the ocean talking to you the sand that is on the toes and a cup of hot tea or cocoa is pretty much perfection.

IMG_1913.jpegIMG_1933.jpegIMG_1934.jpeg
Above pix are of a 14.5” long horse conch shell I found near Lovers Key, Fla. Top pik is what they look like when found buried in the bottom with gunk all over them and other 2 after they’re cleaned up. The horse conch is the largest shell in the US and the 2nd largest in the world growing up to 2 feet long.

IMG_2277.jpeg
Any beach bum sheller and any beach bum beach comber worth their ocean spray sea salt just gotta have some reference books, right?

Damn right! and the 2 shown above are the 2 I use. The one on the left is extensive & strictly about shells. Book on the right is not just about shells but all about well, as the title states.

jonny boi’s shellin like a felon library

Some of my collection, many larger shells are in a couple of beds around my small s&b.

The liqueur bottle holds Edisto Beach sand, and a few tiny shells from there.

I also collect Lake Superior rock, and heart shaped stones.

There will come a time when I can no longer travel, and then many memories will surround me. ☺️9B6C11A8-7994-4854-B33D-D4D0C50EA40A.jpeg74E90AD5-E258-42F5-9DB8-077C26FF8379.jpeg22295A4D-CA47-48AA-9E39-6CF0FF0715AE.jpeg40CB932E-C0F9-414E-8207-E436902E09AE.jpeg

View attachment 34692

View attachment 34693

View attachment 34694

The above pix are shells I’ve found over the years at Edisto Beach. It’s an excellent place to look for shells!

intjonny
47F15B85-94B7-4C98-BD71-E3E99826CF3E.jpeg6F4C8D07-79B0-4332-B127-E1EADD200045.jpeg77FFBD1B-98B2-4D84-A01C-13E223084A4F.jpegDC89F6BB-4695-48F6-AAC6-97DA1708AEFB.jpegFFE2FBB5-8096-4C76-A3E7-CA80F158BA60.jpeg
The little crab came sidesteppin thru our campsite in Marathon, the Starfish walking in Jax, Iguana at camp in Marathon, Manatee in. Silver River, Gator on St. John’s River about a 10 footer shot off the bank and hit the water like a telephone pole just missing the skiff.

Any beach bum sheller and any beach bum beach comber worth their ocean spray sea salt just gotta have some reference books, right?

Damn right! and the 2 shown above are the 2 I use. The one on the left is extensive & strictly about shells. Book on the right is not just about shells but all about well, as the title states.

I bought my sister Florida's Living Beaches last year for Christmas. She is always walking the beaches around her home in Vero Beach.

IMG_1427.jpeg
Above: Queen Conch shells found in the Florida Keys. It’s against the law to keep live Queen Conchs so always inspect that nothing still lives in the shell.
IMG_1428.jpeg
Above: Lightening Whelks I’ve found various beaches. They’re the only Left Handed shell and since I’m left handed I’m kinda partial to them 🤙
IMG_1429.jpeg
Above: Knob Whelks found various places but none in The Keys as they don’t live that far south. More of a cooler to cold water kinda kritter.

More shells on the way…….
intjonny boi

IMG_1341.jpeg
As a follow up supporting Post #12 of this thread of my Hobby on the Road about Seashells: This assortment of seashells I found a couple years back over a 2 day period at MacArthur St Park near Riviera Beach.
Aren’t they not only interesting but beautiful?

Yeah they are!🤙
jonny boi

I plan on finely getting to Florida sometime this spring are there going to be any left for me to find?
Last trip out we had to make room for colorful rocks from Flathead Lake and fabric and beads from Idaho. Hubby shook his head at all of them. I used the fabric in my quilt and for mom's Mothers day gift and the beads go on my window thingy and took the rocks to the preschool I work at and enjoyed everything again.

View attachment 34680

Before my husband passed I used to live in Wilmington,N.C ! I amassed a HUGE collection of beautiful shells ! I also started finding sharks teeth that are black ! I miss doing that so much it was definitely my Zen moments in life ! I used them in my art as well ! It was so hard to give those “treasures up” ! Thank you so much for giving me a glimpse of your findings ! It made my heart happy! The sea speaks to my soul ! Headed to Quartzsite for the first time to meet some of you hopefully!

Sometimes I find a shell that has the animal that made it still very much alive & well inside it and this post shows several pix of such finds.
IMG_0765.jpeg
Above is of an alive Lightening Whelk that got its picture taken b4 I put it back in the water.
Below is of a Banded Tulip Snail that again got its photo taken b4 I put it back in the water.
IMG_0761.jpeg

IMG_1298.jpeg
Above is an alive Hawkwing Conch that I found in the Keys that, too, had its photo taken b4 being returned to the sea. If you zoom in at the left shell opening you can see its krazy looking eyes 👀. It’s probably like “OMG I’m out of the water and wtf am I looking at?” No prob lil guy you got put back in the water.

I find alot of shells that are alive of all kinds of species. Latest was an alive Caribbean Vase shell found last week in the Keys. I have 3 in my collection but this one was the first I had found alive so was excited and then put back in the water where found it.

jonny boi as usual having too much fun