SEASHELLS!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Native, stone.

Like what appears to be just a tip in #35, but the entire spear point minus the shaft that would have bound it.
Check out a site called Treasurenet.com then go to North American Indian Artifacts and lookup a member named Newnan Man check out his Florida Points. This guy is a Arrowhead Ninja he will be able to ID it for you.

And now itā€™s seaglass time!

Ok Iā€™m not big into seaglass so Iā€™m really picky about picking it up. My criteria is it must be very ā€œfrostedā€ and the edges must also be worn & rounded no matter the color and if there is some kind of lettering on it, well that will always catch my attention.

Also, it helps a lot that the beach is so lacking in interesting shells that I get so bored that I actually consider picking the stuff up in the first place. Iā€™m really just not that interested in the stuff. But there are exceptions like the mosaic piece below I found at Canaveral National Seashore.

IMG_1422.jpeg

IMG_1359.jpeg
Above are some more rare examples because they are blue in color.
Below an interesting piece because of the lettering.
IMG_1363.jpeg

IMG_1852.jpeg
Above & below are random pieces found I donā€™t remember where or when. The 1 above reminded me of Michiganā€™s Lower Peninsula and I might have a jeweler make it into a pendant necklace.
69471884954__6CF74B92-4389-42D9-B443-22107EABD9C2.jpeg
IMG_2183.jpeg
Above & below are pieces found on my current trek. The pik below also includes several specie of sea beans.
IMG_2263.jpeg

Nuff seaglass for awhile. šŸ˜Ž
jonny boi

Attachments

• 69471884954__6CF74B92-4389-42D9-B443-22107EABD9C2.jpeg
    69471884954__6CF74B92-4389-42D9-B443-22107EABD9C2.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back to seashellsā€¦ā€¦..
IMG_2180.jpeg
Above are a couple dozen knob whelks collected at Edisto Island SC and Fort Clinch State Park Fla that were given to a friend in the Keys who makes horns out of shells. Last year she made a conch horn for me from a Queen Conch shell I found.

Sooo, I promised to bring her some knob whelks as they donā€™t live in the Keys; donā€™t live that far south. Several weex back I gave them to her when I had returned to the Keys and she gave me the large Queen Helmet shell shown below
IMG_2274.jpeg

IMG_2273.jpeg

Isnā€™t it awesome!? She made it into a horn for me and it has a loud bass tone similar to a fog horn or like the horn on a Great Lakes freighter.

What an amazing gift!
intjonny

Olives are kool & very common everywhere and I have soooo many of varying sizes & shades that I very rarely pick them up anymore.

Iā€™ve never understood why theyā€™re called olives either. I call the larger ones barrels and smaller ones bullets.

My smallest one is less than an inch long and my larger ones exceed 4ā€. Shades range from almost black to gray, bright orange to pale salmon, dark greenish to brownish.

More shells from this current trek to comeā€¦ā€¦
jonny boi

All these pictures are great. I love to go to one of our local beaches and find shells.
I took my kids one day several years ago in my then brand-new truck, my one and only brand-new vehicle. My son found lots of shells including one that still had a little hermit crab deep inside it. After 2 days of hot summer sun it was beginning to smell really bad and after much searching, I found it under the seat behind the slide thing. I spent the next week driving with my windows OPEN. And before anyone gets upset yes, we always look to see if a critter is still using a shell but this was a tiny crab in a big shell, and we didn't see it.
So much for the new car smell

IMG_2217.jpeg
Above & below are piks of a Channel Whelk found at Fort Clinch State Park. This is only the third one Iā€™ve found of this size and in such great condition.
IMG_2216.jpeg

IMG_2262.jpeg
Above is a lightening whelk found at St Georgeā€™s Island State Park.
Below shows 3 Milk Conchs and a Sunrise Tellins to the lower right along with a Star top shell all of them found at Bahia Honda Key last month. The milk conchs I found snorkeling will be even more attractive when I clean them.
IMG_2267.jpeg

johnny boi has more yet on the way.

Attachments

• IMG_2267.jpeg
    IMG_2267.jpeg
    7.2 MB · Views: 0
I cannot help but recall Steven Wright's great line from his first (or perhaps second) appearance on the Tonight Show back in the 80s: "I have the world's largest seashell collection. I keep it on every beach in the world."

I cannot help but recall Steven Wright's great line from his first (or perhaps second) appearance on the Tonight Show back in the 80s: "I have the world's largest seashell collection. I keep it on every beach in the world."
šŸ˜‚ yeah, thereā€™s always been delusional people who think they own the entire World but then late night tv never was anything but cheap & shallow comedy; part of the reasons why I havenā€™t owned a tv for over 30 years; but hey! thatā€™s for another thread. šŸ˜„

Hereā€™s what I say:
https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/how-i-became-a-vagabond.22301/
I actually keep my seashell collection in some cardboard boxes and empty plastic instant coffee containers. Total monetary value is probably less than 300$ certainly less than 400$. The vast majority of Seashells, monetarily, really arenā€™t worth a whole lot; I mean all they really are is snail & clam skeletons, skeletal remains of murdered & eaten gastropods & bi-valves by other sea life. Old dead bones if you will and Geologically speaking; future limestone.

Most gastropods & bi-valves are brought to the surface by fishing trawlers. The Worlds fishing/trawling industry is what provides the products of the so-called global ā€œseashell marketā€. Damn; who doesnā€™t love scallops!

But anyway, back to ā€œSeashells!ā€ As Iā€™ve more seashell šŸš pix to post.

Coming soon!
intjonny boi livin the dream.

Last edited:
šŸ˜‚ yeah, thereā€™s always been delusional people who think they own the entire World but then late night tv never was anything but cheap & shallow comedy; part of the reasons why I havenā€™t owned a tv for over 30 years; but hey! thatā€™s for another thread. šŸ˜„

Hereā€™s what I say:
https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/how-i-became-a-vagabond.22301/
I actually keep my seashell collection in some cardboard boxes and empty plastic instant coffee containers. Total monetary value is probably less than 300$ certainly less than 400$. The vast majority of Seashells, monetarily, really arenā€™t worth a whole lot; I mean all they really are is snail & clam skeletons, skeletal remains of murdered & eaten gastropods & bi-valves by other sea life. Old dead bones if you will and Geologically speaking; future limestone.

Most gastropods & bi-valves are brought to the surface by fishing trawlers. The Worlds fishing/trawling industry is what provides the products of the so-called global ā€œseashell marketā€. Damn; who doesnā€™t love scallops!

But anyway, back to ā€œSeashells!ā€ As Iā€™ve more seashell šŸš pix to post.

Coming soon!
intjonny boi livin the dream.
Yeah, those damn people who try to make others laugh sure are the bane of the planet.

I mean all they really are is snail & clam skeletons, skeletal remains of murdered & eaten gastropods & bi-valves by other sea life. Old dead bones if you will and Geologically speaking; future limestone.
The more I see your collection the more I realize I'm not contributing enough to the 'eaten' side of that equation... Battered fried conch fritters... Lemon-butter white-wine sauce sauteed whelk... Garlic scampi sea-snail... Oops, I'm salivating...
images

Latest posts