Torn between mini/short school bus or van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SaltySeaWitch said:
I have never been asked for proof of anything here Grant.

Wow, SSW,
I've lived in TN two different time periods. But when going to the DMV I'm sure I was always required to have like two proofs of residency -- like a utility bill, rent receipt, etc. Maybe you've forgotten having to have these things?

Yes... I just had to look. Here is a link showing you have to have two proofs of identity AND proofs of residency:

https://www.tn.gov/safety/section/dlmain#documents

You can do the the official DMV site for any state and find what they require before they will issue your driver's license and vehicle registration. (There is some private company that is named something like DMV.org....don't be fooled by that.. look for state.gov )

Roane County but almost all the smaller counties are no questions asked from what I have been hearing on skoolie.net. If one asks too much say forget it and go to the next county over. Bring cash to pay many do not take debit cards and an out of state check may raise some red flags or delays. Pay cash and just act like you have nothing to hide. Once it is titled as an RV you can switch it to your state.

I renewed my tags in Sept. No proof of Insurance or residence (I had it but they didnt ask for it). My son is driving without Insurance and just tagged his truck. They didn't ask for anything. I moved to Cumberland County from FLorida and never had to show of proof of anything there to switch my tags etc. All depends on the county I think.

Grant....I have a friend who works at Cumberland Co tag office. If you can't get your tags in TX I will call her for you to deal with her there and get them. I'll tell her you are staying with me til you find a place. Just make sure you can get your insurance to cover it if you get it titled.

WriterMs said:
Low Tech -- The curved sides and windows CAN be an issue. Maybe my type of "shuttle" (transit) van is very rare?  It is really an extended Dodge B3500 that has had major alterations for wheel chair doors, the stairway door, a very high fiberglass roof, and an escape hatch (nope, has not been opened and won't be by me LOL).  I guess the outside battery box may be an alteration, too.

But my sides and the windows seem to me to be "regular" van style. I have flexible insulated panels I pop into my windows...and I store them behind the two bus seats that make my "couch" and in a cargo net hanging from the ceiling.

I don't think that yours is "rare", but it is very common that a shuttle/metro bus, and even ambo, is based on a cab/chassis. Van cab and added, wider, box. Your's is not much diff than a high-top van w/ extra doors, and the lose/trade-out of a front pass door. So, . . . almost nothing I say about shuttles applies.  ;)

I do really like our E-exit/roof vent and E-exit windows that hinge from the top and we can prop them open for a breeze.

I would think that your batt box is also a catch point w/ low clearance. On bigger shuttles it's often everything, other than the vents and controls, for the back AC. I pulled all that and put an under body propane tank in it's space. Now my low point is a Telmar brake unit that they have on the drive shaft. A big electro-magnetic brake that starts as soon as the brake lights activate.

well I read this whole thread and think I may have something to add. I don't live in a schoolie or shuttle van but I have a kurbmaster
The down side of this and I think of the schoolie is that they are harder to not get noticed, harder to drive, they scream look at me, poorer gas mileage. The up side they are easy to live in, have a lot of storage. I also have a mini van poptop which goes unnoticed and drives like a car gets great gas mileage. I think a good compromise is a high top van, but it is a compromise.
DSCN1650 (640x480).jpgIMG_3319.jpegIMG_3412.jpegDSCN1265 (640x480).jpgDSCN1264 (640x480).jpg

Attachments

• DSCN1264 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN1264 (640x480).jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN1265 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN1265 (640x480).jpg
    210 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3412.jpeg
    IMG_3412.jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3319.jpeg
    IMG_3319.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN1650 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN1650 (640x480).jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 20
SaltySeaWitch said:
I love them both!! If I ever find a man who can tolerate my weird (but sooooo not boring) ways and settle down then I would want a bigger bus like one of those to live in. Of course, saying things like that generally makes men look at me rather strange and stunned like an alien. Apparently phrases like "off grid Alaska", "composting toilet", "let's live out of a van/bus/boat" or "I skinned a deer on my front porch last season so I would know how to do it if there is ever a zombie apocalypse" is not how to find a partner lol. Who knew???

What red blooded American man wouldn't go wild over phrases like that? Ha,ha. You probably wouldn't be satisfied with a Wall Street office boy anyway. I live on the grid in the middle of Alaska, but have a couple of remote cabins that are definitely off grid. Come on up and use them a while if you need a wilderness fix. Gene

Fabber McGee said:
What red blooded American man wouldn't go wild over phrases like that? Ha,ha. You probably wouldn't be satisfied with a Wall Street office boy anyway. I live on the grid in the middle of Alaska, but have a couple of remote cabins that are definitely off grid. Come on up and use them a while if you need a wilderness fix. Gene

That's what I keep asking!! Mention Alaska and they run!! True story!

Don't toy with me because I want to see Alaska real bad and I will take you up it lol. I would move there if I could figure out how to make money.

Keep in mind that none of those "reality" TV shows are very realistic.

I know. My son dated a girl from Alaska and I have some military friends who have been there.

Most of those would be a big plus in my mind !!
A lot of those are things that women would run from if I said them too.
I do see your point , most would be running away from anyone adopting this mobile lifestyle and that's fine by me.

There was another post a while back where some one said something like this as a vandwelling pick up line.
(not an exact quote) Hey , would you like to move into my van and poop in a bucket ?
Skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh ......Too funny.........but very real.

SSW you must go to Alaska, take my word for it nothing in the lower 48 is Alaska. Fabber McGee got any lines on gold claims? I need to get back there. btw a lot of people go up in the summer and work then come south for the winter. I met a lot of people up there that did that. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
SSW you must go to Alaska,  take my word for it nothing in the lower 48 is Alaska.  Fabber McGee got any lines on gold claims?  I need to get back there.  btw a lot of people go up in the summer and work then come south for the winter.  I met a lot of people up there that did that.  highdesertranger

I have seen several jobs there for summer and I would do that or hopefully have money saved to just enjoy my time there. I have been dreaming of a trip there for a long time. Gold panning is on to do list as well!! Let me know if/when you go HDR and perhaps you will let follow you up there. Trying to make RTR so maybe we will meet if you are there. I wouldn't mind looking for gold while there!!

masterplumber said:
Just caught up on this thread. I've always liked skoolies myself, for their toughness and room. Here is one of my favorites. Kind of girlie, but still cool. I think if you built something like this, with a nice paint job and wheel covers, you shouldn't have issues work camping.
http://tinyhousetalk.com/diy-short-school-bus-cottage/

That is the story that got me looking at mini buses masterplumber!! I fell in love with her bus. She is in AZ living and working btw, and she is in a park there! I plan to BLM it except for workamping and I plan to apply at CLm and similar places not private parks. Or just get a job. Whatever works :)

The deciding factor will be which one I find (bus or van) when my house sells and the amount of time I have to get it ready before RTR (if house sells in time for that).

My bus will be painted pretty and fixed up adorable (and girly lol) so if they don't love it I don't want to work there anyway ;-)

Latest posts