Torn between mini/short school bus or van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, '94 itself is an odd year. It's got a turbo, but mechanical injection. If I could find a decent one I'd snatch it up. '95 is the first true Powerstroke. I had one for many years and miles in a pickup and it was a good one. The only odd thing to know on the '95 is that while it has an OBDII connector, it's not a true OBDII computer so tuners etc... are not compatible and Ford dealers quit supporting it many years ago. So if you want computerized '96 through 2003 are the best years for Ford. Late in 2003 they went to the 6.0 liter and while their problems can be fixed, it's just not worth it.

highdesertranger said:
pre 94 is mechanical = super simple,  post 94 electronic with all kinds of gizmos,  thing-a-majiggs,  and doo dads.  with 94 for being the split year it could go either way.  highdesertranger

Okay, gotcha! I hate the electronic stuff in new cars. That's why i like the 70's muscle cars. I'll give up mpg not to buy 50 sensors that don't solve the problem. I'm going to look for 93 and back. good to know this stuff. I don't want to call my dad a lot right now because he isn't well so thanks for letting me pick your brains :p

masterplumber said:
Actually, '94 itself is an odd year. It's got a turbo, but mechanical injection. If I could find a decent one I'd snatch it up. '95 is the first true Powerstroke. I had one for many years and miles in a pickup and it was a good one. The only odd thing to know on the '95 is that while it has an OBDII connector, it's not a true OBDII computer so tuners etc... are not compatible and Ford dealers quit supporting it many years ago. So if you want computerized '96 through 2003 are the best years for Ford. Late in 2003 they went to the 6.0 liter and while their problems can be fixed, it's just not worth it.

Don't laugh at me (go ahead, I don't actually care :p ) but what is a power stroke? why would I want that/how important is it? :huh:  Also, I read the duallys "top out" sometimes at 45 mph and you have to switch the rear something to change that. Why?  :huh:

Should I not get a dually? I kinda like them. Even though I don't know their function lol.

I can match wits on quantum physics but mechanics.......... I am clueless :D

Powerstroke is what ford started calling the engine after they took it over, 94/95. Dually is so that the rear end can handle more weight, like hauling trailers.

I pulled my inside wheel on both rear axles of my truck because I don't haul enough weight to have 8 rear wheels on the ground.

If a truck has a low top speed it's because the rear axle is geared low so that it has a lot of touqe, power to move something heavy. Not all dual axles will be geared low. The one on our shuttle is happy doing 65, and 75 is not a problem.

LowTech said:
If a truck has a low top speed it's because the rear axle is geared low so that it has a lot of touqe,  power to move something heavy. Not all dual axles will be geared low. The one on our shuttle is happy doing 65, and 75 is not a problem.

Edit: Okay got it. Does dually affect MPG?

I expect it does, less rubber on the road, less friction, would make it easier to roll. How much?, that I don't know. Never tried w/ the shuttle, and w/ my big truck it's a whole nother story.

LowTech said:
I pulled my inside wheel on both rear axles of my truck because I don't haul enough weight to have 8 rear wheels on the ground.

Could one do this kind of thing to a small RV or skoolie with daulies? I know one would need to make sure there is enough tire to support the total weight of the vehicle. However (and I don't know about Salty), but I don't expect to have nearly as much weight as is in a normal RV. I would get it weighed before I tried doing it. Just wondering if it is possible and practical.

dual tires equal less MPG because you have less rolling resistance and less traction. which also means you have less traction as in you have less traction in off road situations. I have dual rear wheels and I rarely need to put my truck in 4wd. highdesertranger

Don't you mean MORE traction HDR? The only time I have experienced less traction was on snow when the extra foot print allowed the rear tires to "float" rather than dig down to solid ground.

I had considered pulling inside duals on my step van, but reconsidered for a few reasons-
1. I carry way more weight than I planned for.
2. I like the safety factor of two in case of a rear blowout.
3. The sway is minimized

Singling duals has another benefit...
Two less tires to buy $$!
Plus two spares when you pull them.

I've had lots of duallys, and I've never singled one out.

The manufacturers know ALOT more about the loads my trucks were designed to haul than I do, so I leave 'em.

And like others have said...they help stabilize the ride and you can haul heavier loads. If there is a fuel savings, I think it'd be minimal at best.

ah Karl you caught me and you are right. duals have MORE rolling resistance and have more traction. somehow that went from brain to fingers back asswards. or something like that. highdesertranger

i'm pro duallies for traction,stability and if you have your normal spare you then have 3 spares tires to work with

When I was teaching we had 2 Ford extended vans. One was single rear wheels and the other I converted to a dually. The Dually was much more stable when loaded with 15 people and towing a 6x12 gear trailer. It also felt like it floated over soft ground better (we went down a lot of sandy roads in Utah to get to Canyoneering locations. On the flip side the single tire van regularly got 12 - 13 mpg on the highway, while the dually got 10 - 11 mpg. Other than the duals they were pretty much identical. That may not seam like much, but it's about 10% which adds up if you drive a lot. I'd still choose the duals if I was hauling a lot of weight - just much more stable. I often wish my pickup was a dually.

masterplumber said:
When I was teaching we had 2 Ford extended vans. One was single rear wheels and the other I converted to a dually. The Dually was much more stable when loaded with 15 people and towing a 6x12 gear trailer. It also felt like it floated over soft ground better (we went down a lot of sandy roads in Utah to get to Canyoneering locations. On the flip side the single tire van regularly got 12 - 13 mpg on the highway, while the dually got 10 - 11 mpg. Other than the duals they were pretty much identical.  That  may not seam like much, but it's about 10% which adds up if you drive a lot. I'd still choose the duals if I was hauling a lot of weight - just much more stable. I often wish my pickup was a dually.

Were they gas or diesel MP? I keep hearing don't get gas bus. Can anyone tell me why? Thanks.

They were gas (5.4 liter Fords) and they were regular vans - not Skoolies. Diesels will get better mileage, and the engine will last longer. A Schoolie is built much heavier than a regular van, so the advantage of the diesel over the gas in one of them would probably be much greater. Where light and medium duty diesels really shine is when heavier loads are involved. I've had a ton of different trucks over the years. The trucks with 460 cu in engines were smoother and faster empty, but when a load was added the diesels would run circles around them - especially when climbing hills. Also, the mileage wasn't affected by the load as much with the diesels.

Update: Looks like it may be a while. I am not gonna make RTR but hopefully by April/May I can still leave even if house hasn't sold. In the meantime, saving up for bus or van.