Mini-Van-Camper-Conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My daughter used something similar to this for the cross country trip with a 7 gallon water container. They did refills at filtered water sources as needed and available. Not as versatile as your system will be once finished. But it was simple and worked well for them.

Water Bottle Pump 5 Gallon Water Bottle Dispenser USB Charging Automatic Drinking Water Pump Portable Electric Water Dispenser Water Bottle Switch (White) https://a.co/d/75a4RMj

Water issues... the what how and why's.... This is a great thread actually, and I am happy the OP does not get all bent out of shape when people bring up things the OP has decided against (thank you). I was out camping for a few days this last week with friends. I have to tell you, that my friends filled their water tank at the site we stayed at. They sure were sorry they did ! It was stanky to say the least. I certainly would not drink it, and they had to run for walmart blue tanks for drinking water. When they got home, they would have to spend a good deal of time flushing their onboard tank out to get rid of what went in.

I am not against onboard tanks. I have one that I will only fill after smelling and quick testing with cheap amazon strip, but it is not used for drinking. What does bug me the most about it is that tank takes a fair amount of effort and flushing water to keep clean between trips.

For drinking water, I will only bring along water from a local artesian well we have nearby, or we purchase those Walmart style returnable tanks. With that, I will use one of the USB top pumps. And even when you have the returnable tanks and that pump system, if the water is not agitated or aerated, after a while the tube you suck the water to the pump with gets really slimey. It's just a reminder to not take drinking water safety too lightly.

I was catching up on the thread having been way for a bit. I see you hoped to sleep 3. I know what I would explore. ...

I'd explore building a back hatch pull out platform similar to what they use in pickup truck beds (those roll-out systems). Stays in when you dont need it, pulls out when you do. Probably could work well with those tri-fold couch/mattresses.

With that I would create a simple tent system for over the hatch area to close it all in (easy for me to say because I spent 10 years in the upholstery industry and still have a machine). Might even make it so it can be a "room" to stand in behind the pull out.

Because you will already be dealing with lack of height, you probably wouldnt make a foll-out like they use, but maybe it is just a hollow core sheet product that simply slides out and you need legs to support it. Then of course I would tie in a 270 bat wing (or Bus depot EZY) awning to the side.

Your making me eye up my T&C for a "conversion" every time I drive it now ! LOL !!

Latest posts