Torn between mini/short school bus or van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bindi&us said:
Oh no:(
Been following and had such high hopes for seeing you at RTR.
Will just have to catch you down the road one day ;)

Awe! Thanks! I suppose there is still a chance (I am an optimist after all) but, house hasn't sold, still don't have a van/bus, and time is not on my side lol But...ya never know :D  If not, I have a possible job lined up in TX (around May) doing security thanks to another female solo van dweller so at least that's something. I'll just have to work between now and then and save as much as I can. With a job waiting, I wont need as much money to leave at least.

I really wanted to make RTR though :(

Wish you were coming, house selling is a pain.

Buses are just sitting around everywhere (still no evil grin Smilie)

Very much hope you get the security job.  Have read about Gate guard jobs, just in case.

Would offer a ride, have 3 beds, but you would be bored out of your skull 8-5 Monday – Friday and I'm not coming back this way till May or June.  :)

ldmccain said:
Wish you were coming, house selling is a pain.

Buses are just sitting around everywhere (still no evil grin Smilie)

Very much hope you get the security job.  Have read about Gate guard jobs, just in case.

Would offer a ride, have 3 beds, but you would be bored out of your skull 8-5 Monday – Friday and I'm not coming back this way till May or June.  :)

I was willing to lose money, but not give it away for nothing! I could still find a buyer but finding a rig and getting it ready in time doesn't seem likely. But you know, maybe the universe knows best. I'm bummed but telling my self that to feel better anyway :D

Evil grin.... wouldn't work for me. I tried.

Why would I be bored? You don't know me lol. I talk to strangers, squirrels, trees... read weird books about quantum physics lol. I entertain myself quite well :p But, I am not in a position financially to go anywhere just yet so, I won't be hitching any rides either. I'll run into you hopefully down the road though.

When are you planning to leave? I am guessing you have work lined up M-F? If you mentioned it before sorry. I had the mind of a sieve :cool:

Do you have any idea how many buses I have found??? UGH!!! Frustrating!!

I'm spending enough on my brakes to buy that rig......Arrrrgggggh

SaltySeaWitch said:
I was willing to lose money, but not give it away for nothing! I could still find a buyer but finding a rig and getting it ready in time doesn't seem likely. But you know, maybe the universe knows best. I'm bummed but telling my self that to feel better anyway :D

Hate losing money.   A few months to get ready isn't going to be bad.

Evil grin.... wouldn't work for me. I tried.

yup just doesn't work

Why would I be bored? You don't know me lol. I talk to strangers, squirrels, trees... read weird books about quantum physics lol. I entertain myself quite well :p But, I am not in a position financially to go anywhere just yet so, I won't be hitching any rides either. I'll run into you hopefully down the road though.

Even talk to myself sometimes :) .    Hoping to run into you as well. 
     Maybe we will cross paths as you head out and  I head back.

When are you planning to leave? I am guessing you have work lined up M-F? If you mentioned it before sorry. I had the mind of a sieve :cool:

[size=small][size=medium]     [size=small]Dec 26th after 1st Christmas with my 1st granddaughter..  
smile.gif

PM sent on the work situation...  Not sure I can post it anywhere they have lots of rules.

[/size][/size][/size]
Do you have any idea how many buses I have found??? UGH!!! Frustrating!!

Guessing many, if you are searching nationwide. 
     I have been looking at this site just in case my RV falls off the frame.  
    http://www.midwesttransit.com/search/used/tp/

Salty, my offer still stands. I'm leaving Fulton, KY on Sunday, 12/27/15 for Houston. Once there I have to title and register the bus and trailer. Leaving Houston for RTR on Friday 01/01/16. Leaving RTR when it's over or shortly thereafter, stoppong in Houston for a couple of days then back to Fulton, KY.

I can offer free transportation and an air mattress but you would need to provide your own sleeping bag and pay for whatever you buy (food souvenirs, etc...). This offer is good for anyone else who can live with my schedule.

Grant, if you're following this thread; Austin is not out of the way from Houston to RTR.

Best of luck on everything. Have faith and keep trying. Prayers do get answered.

ainley53 said:
Grant, if you're following this thread; Austin is not out of the way from Houston to RTR.

Thanks for the offer. However, I don't think it would be prudent to take the time off work right now. I just want to make as much money as I can as fast as I can. However, if you are gonna come through town anyway, maybe we could visit for a spell.

ldmccain..... I answered your PM and signed up to follow your blog and live vicariously through your adventures until I can leave so have some fun will ya? :)

ainley53.... I appreciate the offer very much but need to be here to work and save money (plus work on my house). I answered your PM as well.

rvpopeye....I am accepting bus donations. I mean brakes.....do you really need those? hahahahaha!!

I'm in the same boat Grant. Hopefully we can convoy as previously discussed if our times of departure cooperate :)

When I read of offers such as ainley's, it makes me proud to be a part of a sharing community.
RTR is a great place to solidify life long friendships too.

Well ,SSW if you end up getting something built on an early 80s Chevy/GMC 1 ton chassis , I'll have a bunch of good parts that will fit !
This rig won't last forever and the copper-nickel brake lines I just put on will never rust and bend like rope! Skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh

Lj Unlimited said:
Salty,

I have been looking at the shuttle/church bus conversion as well. This one is bigger than i care for.
Might be too far for you to travel, but the miles and price seem good.

https://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/cto/5366367178.html

Thanks Lj,

Thats a really good price for that mileage. It's bigger than I really want though. If I stay 15 passengers or less I can title it as a van and insure it easy. Plus, I have never driven anything bigger than a pick up truck so even the short bus is a step for me.

If you are looking for a short bus New York has the best prices and Kentucky. I have found the ones I like (older Diesel ones) there at really good prices and low miles.

I am saving up some money for one. Of course I find great deals when I am broke!! I should be ready in another month though. I can't wait!!

aSaltySeaWitch said:
Thanks Lj,

Thats a really good price for that mileage. It's bigger than I really want though. If I stay 15 passengers or less I can title it as a van and insure it easy. Plus, I have never driven anything bigger than a pick up truck so even the short bus is a step for me.

If you are looking for a short bus New York has the best prices and Kentucky. I have found the ones I like (older Diesel ones) there at really good prices and low miles.

I am saving up some money for one. Of course I find great deals when I am broke!! I should be ready in another month though. I can't wait!!

I am not 100% on anything yet, other than it has to be at least a 3500 series and I want to be able to somewhat stand up in it. At 6'4" that means a high top, church/shuttle bus, or bread van. Pretty much tire kicking till taxes come back. Then I can buy and build. 

Thank you for the tip on Kentucky and New York. I go thru Kentucky a few times a year on my trips to GA. Are you finding these on Craigslist or Auto Trader? Or?

Lj Unlimited said:
I am not 100% on anything yet, other than it has to be at least a 3500 series and I want to be able to somewhat stand up in it. At 6'4" that means a high top, church/shuttle bus, or bread van. Pretty much tire kicking till taxes come back. Then I can buy and build. 

Thank you for the tip on Kentucky and New York. I go thru Kentucky a few times a year on my trips to GA. Are you finding these on Craigslist or Auto Trader? Or?

I have had pretty good luck with Craigslist. Not so much in TN though, because they are way higher here for some reason. I have looked at Auto Trader as well. There is this place too http://www.midwesttransit.com/  I'm not sure where you are so it may not be feasible. Occasionally they get some of the older ones that I like and sell them cheap.

Seattle had the most camper vans (already outfitted) but too far for me to travel. NY had some great deals on buses but you would need to check for rust really good. KY had my dream bus for $2500 and I missed it :-(

I just love the mini school buses. Not too big, not too small. They can be fixed up like a little house inside. I can have a bathroom/shower in one. I just see so many possibilities for them.

I am only 5'1" but it just feels more open if it has a higher top. If I am going to do this full time I want to be happy in it and not crowded.

Good luck and if you find something you like my way I will be happy to go check it out for you.

Thank you again for the info. I am in Michigan. A bit south and east of Grand Rapids. If you come across something this way and you need it checked out let me know. But be forewarned, the majority of vehicles up here over 7 years old have at least some rust.