Torn between mini/short school bus or van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WriterMs said:
Another thought/question --- between the van and mini-bus, how does height, width and ground clearance compare?

You had mentioned wanting to boondock though not in the way, way back. In the desert with open and flat land, probably never a problem. But in the mountains, you'd likely be going down Forest Service roads and then off on side roads from that.

I bet the mini-bus has better ground clearance. Bob has done a blog post on being able to pull in between trees (or not) to get to a good flat mountain site.

My rig is a former wheel-chair accessible transit van, so it is 9.5" high. It was only a problem in one place because of height (and it is a no-go for drive-thru's too... but if I'm at a fast food place, it is usually for the wifi so no problem to go in and then sit out in the parking lot).

Very good point WriterMs. I thought about height clearance but didn't think about ground clearance. Bound to be better in bus I would think. Do you have pics of your rig that you wouldn't mind sharing?

Something else just crossed my mind...

Some mini buses are all metal, some are fiberglass... I would definitely go with an all metal one for durability.

Reverse Engineer said:
I would go with the Van because of two main advantages, the ability to do Stealth if you need to and better fuel economy generally speaking.  You can't do Stealth with a Skoolie.

I don't really need stealth though. I don't plan on parking in the city or hiding out. Mileage is a factor but for long term so is comfort. What to do, what to do.... ;-)

SaltySeaWitch said:
I don't really need stealth though. I don't plan on parking in the city or hiding out. Mileage is a factor but for long term so is comfort. What to do, what to do.... ;-)

I seem to have the same vehicle preferences as you. I have decided to shoot for a used short shuttle bus rather than a short school bus. The short school buses tend to be short vertically as well, because they are made for kids. Shuttle buses are made for adults, so they are taller and wider. I also like the bigger windows. Of course, finding one hasn't been easy. So I am going to have to get creative in looking for one, following suggestions from Patrick and Gary (can't remember their user names).

If necessary, I may end up getting a cheap, small RV as a temporary solution. Once I find a good shuttle, I will be able to pull a lot of the parts out of the RV to use in the shuttle build, then sell the RV for scrap.

SaltySeaWitch said:
Very good point WriterMs. I thought about height clearance but didn't think about ground clearance. Bound to be better in bus I would think. Do you have pics of your rig that you wouldn't mind sharing?

OH dear... and Grant asked me about pics but I could not attach them via email (I don't store any pics on the Web).

When my brother-in-law helped me get my van ready to be camped in, it was a quick job.. not any sort of "build." Until I was stuck "back home" during this year, I had not spent time on the forums to learn details (tho I had read Bob's book and followed his blog). So I'd say at least half of what my very generous-with-his-time brother-in-law did to help me is.... according to various posts here... all wrong. Though he knows engines and got that right for me.

Let me attach at least some outside shots so you can see relative ground clearance (edit: for some reason the second shot of the driver's side did not load). The low points are the stairs and even an outside battery box behind the drivers side door, but they are "fairly" near the front tires. I did go down some gnarly FS roads and never came close to being stuck -- well, not until I drove into a sand trap in San Lorenzo Canyon (but that was not clearance related). LOL

Attachments

• Homestake east camp.jpg
    Homestake east camp.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 42
Ah.. the driver's side pic I tried to attach was still high resolution. I found another not as clear on the clearance that is low res, so I'll attach.

I think this is something that is good for those considering anything that was public transportation -- they create steps that are low to the ground usually. You can barely see the white battery box behind the open door on this shot -- so I have something with only about 7 inches of clearance on either side. I guess that is still better than most passenger vans.

Attachments

• LBL van camp.jpg
    LBL van camp.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 19
GrantRobertson said:
I seem to have the same vehicle preferences as you. I have decided to shoot for a used short shuttle bus rather than a short school bus. The short school buses tend to be short vertically as well, because they are made for kids. Shuttle buses are made for adults, so they are taller and wider. I also like the bigger windows. Of course, finding one hasn't been easy. So I am going to have to get creative in looking for one, following suggestions from Patrick and Gary (can't remember their user names).

If necessary, I may end up getting a cheap, small RV as a temporary solution. Once I find a good shuttle, I will be able to pull a lot of the parts out of the RV to use in the shuttle build, then sell the RV for scrap.

Hey Grant.... I love the look of the shuttle bus but not the V10 and that is what they all seem to have. I read so much bad about the V10 but I am not a mechanic so others may be more knowledgeable about it. I dont want anything much bigger than a van so for me the short bus works. I am only 5'1 maybe 5' 2" so plenty of head room for me. I think they are 7 feet inside?? Not positive on this. I do like the windows in shuttles much better though. There are some for sale around here (TN) and the best deals seem to be in the midwest. I will try to post some links if you want. Shorties are also much less $$$ than shuttle buses from my searches and better mpg from my research.

WriterMs said:
Ah.. the driver's side pic I tried to attach was still high resolution. I found another not as clear on the clearance that is low res, so I'll attach.

I think this is something that is good for those considering anything that was public transportation -- they create steps that are low to the ground usually. You can barely see the white battery box behind the open door on this shot -- so I have something with only about 7 inches of clearance on either side. I guess that is still better than most passenger vans.

I like it. I wouldnt have guessed shuttle. Looks just like a high top van. I keep finding the really wide shuttles around here. I'll check on ground clearance for shorties for others (and myself). Love your rig though. Oh and your blog too!!

SSW,
If you look at the first pic by the fire ring (Homestake Pass, MT), you'll see the very long (tall) door that was put on to cover the three steps that go up inside. Again something many public transit vans will have. It sort of covers the door... the bottom has a gap of about a half inch or so that is simply covered by bristles (like on a shop broom). Don't much need to worry about ventilation in MY van.. it is automatic even with no windows open. LOL AND...one day I will get it removed, but there is a huge swing arm along the front where the bus driver could open that door for riders.

Behind that door is a set of double doors where the wheelchair lift used to be. I find these handy for loading in groceries and such (the back barn doors have my bed in front of them and "garage" stuff stored under the bed so they are not handy). Their downside is that the van still curves and the flat added-on doors over the years no longer match up and seal... when it rains, I pulll a shower curtain across them to let the leaks drain out the bottom of those doors. (I can SEE all the good build folks on here cringing.. I know, I know).

As I'm evaluating the photo, I am "remembering" all this stuff -- little things good for you and Grant to check out with any shuttles or buses that have "altered" doors.

I had missed the 1st pic when I replied WriterMs. I saw it right after though. Is it easy to drive? Diesel or gas? MPG?

Dang.. I had meant to include that info. I get wordy... but that is how I make my money. LOL

It is gas... a Dodge 360 engine (the big one, I guess). I usually get 14 mpg on highway drives without a lot of stops (and on the interstates). When I'm boondocking and driving back and forth to little towns, it drops to about 11-12.

One thing I love and hate: it is fairly narrow for such a big van. This gives plenty of room for parking spaces and rural two-lane roads. But since the van is SOOO tall, it has a lot of sway on major curves. (This may be due to the suspension ... um... shortcomings more than the height to width ratio.)

Other than lots of lean on tighter curves, it IS easy to drive. I take out almost all of my window inserts (stiff, insulated foam) when driving (but, yes, HDR, I DO know how to use my outside mirrors LOL). I used to drive a Tundra on a lot of road trips (following a motorcycle). My van is not nearly as tight as the Tundra, but it was not any more of a burden to drive.

lol WriterMs, that was awhile back when I went on the mirror rant. good pull. highdesertranger

buckwilk said:

Oh my buckwilk!! 

I love them both!! If I ever find a man who can tolerate my weird (but sooooo not boring) ways and settle down then I would want a bigger bus like one of those to live in. Of course, saying things like that generally makes men look at me rather strange and stunned like an alien. Apparently phrases like "off grid Alaska", "composting toilet", "let's live out of a van/bus/boat" or "I skinned a deer on my front porch last season so I would know how to do it if there is ever a zombie apocalypse" is not how to find a partner lol. Who knew??? :p Short bus for one it is lol. Fortunately, I do not mind living alone and in fact prefer it most of the time :D

Keep those links coming. I have mad bus love :heart: :heart: :heart: Drooling here!
 View attachment 5259

WriterMs said:
OH dear... and Grant asked me about pics

I see. Your rig is the same width as a regular van but extra tall and long. I'm sure it is nice not needing to stoop while gettin in through that nice, tall side door.

Thanks.

from my point of view
if i was going to do the interstate tourist thing i would go for the van
if i was going to boondock in the bush the bus

SaltySeaWitch said:
Hey Grant.... I love the look of the shuttle bus but not the V10 and that is what they all seem to have. I read so much bad about the V10 but I am not a mechanic so others may be more knowledgeable about it. I dont want anything much bigger than a van so for me the short bus works. I am only 5'1 maybe 5' 2" so plenty of head room for me. I think they are 7 feet inside?? Not positive on this. I do like the windows in shuttles much better though. There are some for sale around here (TN) and the best deals seem to be in the midwest. I will try to post some links if you want. Shorties are also much less $$$ than shuttle buses from my searches and better mpg from my research.

Salty,
Not all shuttles have V10s in them. Many have V8s. Many also have diesels. I have a thread about my shuttle search (and then the expected conversion) over here:

https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=14692
Grant's Shuttle Bus Conversion

(Sorry, using the URL feature on Tapatalk is a pain on my phone.)

You can post links there.

highdesertranger said:
lol WriterMs,  that was awhile back when I went on the mirror rant.  good pull.  highdesertranger

you ranted over side mirrors??? :dodgy:
whats next? naugahyde over corinthian leather  

[video=youtube]

Latest posts