Torn between mini/short school bus or van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing that you asked that no one has answered yet is if a school bus could be a problem with campgrounds and work camping. I'd have to say yes to the first (maybe not federal or state type) and a lot of times to the second. I have seen where part of the application process for a work camping job can include a photo of you and your rig. I imagine it just depends on the job but you should be aware.

Salty, here is a shorty school bus for sale in San Antonio:

1992 GMC bus

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/5321757082.html

Bus does not have back seats, but has two over head AC units that are working and it's all set up with electrical outlets inside. The bus runs and has a clear title. It needs some work it get it fine tuned but it runs. It would be great for multiple ...

Here's another that is partly converted already. San Marcos is just south of Austin.

Little Bus/van

http://sanmarcos.craigslist.org/cto/5320979014.html

Hello, my name is Jason and I'm regrettably selling my bus/van, my daily driver bit the dust recently and I have to grow up and let my baby go. She's in excellent condition and was actually my daily driver for about 6 months last time I had car issue ...

GrantRobertson said:
Salty, here is a shorty school bus for sale  in San Antonio:

1992 GMC bus

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/5321757082.html

Bus does not have back seats, but has two over head AC units that are working and it's all set up with electrical outlets inside. The bus runs and has a clear title. It needs some work it get it fine tuned but it runs. It would be great for multiple  ...

Too bad this one wasn't diesel. Already wired up too!

Gary68 said:
from my point of view
if i was going to do the interstate tourist thing i would go for the van
if i was going to boondock in the bush the bus

Just out of curiosity Gary68 why is it you think the bus is better for boondocking? I think so too just want to hear input. My reason is I could take more water and supplies thus less need to go get more every few days. Sturdier. Comfort. To name a few.

SaltySeaWitch said:
Too bad this one wasn't diesel. Already wired up too!

Compare the price of diesel and gas these days. How many miles do you intend to put on this vehicle?

gcal said:
Compare the price of diesel and gas these days. How many miles do you intend to put on this vehicle?

I still think diesel is the better investment and mechanically the pre 95 diesel buses usually last well over 500k miles.

I have a friend in Nashville that actually has a 75 Cordoba , sweet ride but I wouldn't want to live in it !

SaltySeaWitch said:
Just out of curiosity Gary68 why is it you think the bus is better for boondocking? I think so too just want to hear input. My reason is I could take more water and supplies thus less need to go get more every few days. Sturdier. Comfort. To name a few.

few things, they are built stronger,stronger mechanics,dual rear wheels,more room inside,more roof to put stuff,would almost certainly be a diesel,i'm in the n.w. so a couple steps for some pacing is needed for the rain days,they are wide enough to put a bed width wise ect.ect.

cons-rock hard ride,poor fuel economy some have problem with insurance

A lot of good points being posted. I will say as an owner the two things that stand out about shuttles, over ambos or school buses,  that I don't like are,
1, the curved walls. It makes doing an inside build much harder.
2, the windows. again building anything over waist hight becomes more of an issue (I did remove 2 of ours), major heat gain/loss, and living in a "fish bowl" at night.
I know that heat transfer can be cut down by covering/padding windows (same w/ the "fish bowl" effect), but not always easy on a curve. And if I have to keep covering windows (day time to keep the sun, or heat, out, or in, and night time so that I can have some privacy) I'd rather just not have them.
It is possible to remove windows on either style but, the shuttle has big curved sit-down style windows (only good for seeing out of when sitting) and the schooly has straight, flat, square (well prob rectangular) windows. Much easier to remove and space fill.

I did also cut out the low stairs and put in a electric RV set to get rid of that low-clearance issue. And yes, I do take it off the pavement w/o hesitation, haven't gotten close to getting stuck (I don't subscribe to running Max air pressure in tires, just the right amount).

I do look at every rig as a possible custom build and what would I need to change to make it more than just comfortable for camping, but to be a real full time live-in rig. Not everyone wants, or is going to, do what I call a "full build-out". Therefor sometime the things I point out are irrelevant, just saying.  ;)

Gary68 said:
cons-rock hard ride,poor fuel economy some have problem with insurance

That "rock hard ride" often comes from running too much air pressure in tires made to take a lot more weight than you're putting on them.
I'd give a couple MPGs (on a diesel) to have more space.
Reg'ing it as RV is usually easy and changes that whole issue.

LowTech said:
That "rock hard ride" often comes from running too much air pressure in tires made to take a lot more weight than you're putting on them.
I'd give a couple MPGs (on a diesel) to have more space.
Reg'ing it as RV is usually easy and changes that whole issue.

that and without a good load on them they are simply over sprung and the suspension is not working,if your putting in big miles that will get to you if you are not it's not much of an issue

No problem getting mine registered and insured here in TN. Good point about curved verses flat windows too.

Gary -- I do not think of the mirror discussion as a rant by HDR. He had simply strongly suggested that anyone on the road should be good to drive using only the outside mirrors if necessary. I've driven about every U-Haul or Penske van they have over the years (I moved a lot), so I can drive, merge and even back up using side mirrors. But I do like the open feeling of being able to look back over my shoulder and see the lanes to my left.

Low Tech -- The curved sides and windows CAN be an issue. Maybe my type of "shuttle" (transit) van is very rare? It is really an extended Dodge B3500 that has had major alterations for wheel chair doors, the stairway door, a very high fiberglass roof, and an escape hatch (nope, has not been opened and won't be by me LOL). I guess the outside battery box may be an alteration, too.

But my sides and the windows seem to me to be "regular" van style. I have flexible insulated panels I pop into my windows...and I store them behind the two bus seats that make my "couch" and in a cargo net hanging from the ceiling.

I'm rambling on... my point is that you have to look at those factors for each model you see.... some are very different.

SaltySeaWitch said:
No problem getting mine registered and insured here in TN. Good point about curved verses flat windows too.
What are the chances of someone being able to "move" to TN, register their vehicle as an RV, then "move" out of TN?

If patent trolls can bring their cases to East TX for trial, and politicians can "move" to states just to run for Senate there, then this seems just as reasonable to me.

SaltySeaWitch said:
I have never been asked for proof of anything here Grant.
Sweet. What part of TN are you in? Just a county name is enough. I think you may have just solved some huge problems for a lot of people.

Latest posts