Thousand Trails & Cargo Trailers?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrailerManNJ

Reaction score
Hi, all, new guy here with a basic - but important - question. Forgive me if this has been posted in the wrong section, and if so, feel free to move it to the proper location.

I will be purchasing a cargo trailer to live in full-time within the next few months, and I'll be outfitting it just like a small apartment, which many others are also doing nowadays. However...

I can only stay in the Northeast due to work/family obligations, and there are no free/dirt cheap camping options like BLM land out west and other options you left coasters have. Further complicating matters is...

Northeast summers are brutally hot & humid, which pretty much means an a/c is a necessity. This means I'll have to be plugged in somewhere, most likely a campground. Problem is...

Campgrounds in the NE are VERY expensive, and even second-rate, rundown type places can easily go for $700 to $800 per month, which is way outside of my budget. Sooo...

The only way to make it work (affordable) is with a Thousand Trails membership, which I'll be purchasing used. With a bit of careful planning, it's quite possible to spend only $200 or $300 monthly. But, here's the rub...

I've heard that many campgrounds don't recognize enclosed cargo trailers as RV's, and won't allow them on their properties. Yet, lots of others do, and with some it's on a case-by-case basis. All of which is SUPER confusing. To make matters worse, I read these two gems directly on the TT website...

RV Certification

RVs should have RVIA certification. RVIA certification states the rig complies with certain fire codes, which are important. Occasionally, exceptions can be granted by Resort Managers and/or Regional Managers on a case-by-case basis for non-RVIA rigs which seem to conform to safety requirements and are of a design and style compatible with the park. A park model RV, also known as a recreational park trailer, should be certified by the manufacturer and are built in accordance with the ANSI code.

*Air conditioning units should not be added through the walls or windows unless previously approved.

I'm guessing that there are are no such things as RVIA certified trailers, so that's issue #1. #2 is the blurb about the a/c. Unless I do a ceiling mounted unit, it looks like TT prohibits a/c's that go through the trailer sidewalls or windows.

All of this is making me VERY nervous. I will obviously call TT and ask them directly, but being they're in the sales game, I'm afraid they'll just tell me what I want to hear versus what the actual truth is.

Can any of you provide some clarity on this? If I'm going to have issues with TT over my trailer, I'm essentially sh@t outta luck, since I wouldn't be able to afford any regular monthly campground rate, and boondocking is out of the question in my situation.

Appreciate your help!

Thousand Trails would provide the most authoritative information.

If you want to be on the safe side, purchase an actual used RV trailer instead, maybe one that looks good on the outside, but needs remodeling or TLC on the inside to get a deal... that way you got the RVIA certification and you can still remodel / outfit it to your liking...

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]From the 1000 Trails Definitions.[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] "Camping vehicle" and/or "recreational vehicle" means any vehicle that comfortably sleeps one or more persons overnight on an extended basis. We recognize motor homes, travel trailers, folding trailers, pickup campers and conversion vans as camping vehicles and/or recreational vehicles. Camping vehicles must be operable and in good condition as determined in our discretion.[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]TrailerManNJ, I sent you a PM.[/font]

The lack of an RVIA certification is a dark cloud over Tiny Home, Skoolie and DIY conversions and builds. Sourcing insurance coverage on DIY conversions and builds is problematic. The best you could hope for will probably be just liability coverage.

My advice would to be keep looking for a true RV. When you find one you may need to move fast on the purchase.

https://tinyhousegiantjourney.com/2016/10/19/tiny-house-insurance/

In NJ, a trailer under 2500lbs requires registration and tags. Above 2500lbs also requires a title. My 5x8 trailer is under 1000lbs and the max towing for my tow vehicle is 2000lbs. All of the outfitting is 100% portable: bed, sink, porta potty, frig, AC, camp kitchen, storage bins so it doubles as a trailer to haul stuff when I'm not camping.

I insured my WeeRoll as a trailer which only increased my annual premium by $120.00.

Check out their website and FB for ideas and photos.

Having traveled extensively in the US, I can’t recall ever seeing cargo trailers converted to living quarters in traditional RV parks.

State and Federal campgrounds of various sorts are more flexible, but I agree purchasing a traditional RV is much more likely to work for you.

Aside from written rules, such as those listed above, many private campgrounds have signs in their offices stating they have the right to refuse service to any one for any reason.

Having no “right” to access private campgrounds, I envision finding multiple places willing to have you in a cargo trailer being very difficult.

Also, be aware that many campgrounds have metered charges for electricity in high season, that being in addition to your nightly rate.

C-Cat said:
If you want to be on the safe side, purchase an actual used RV trailer instead, maybe one that looks good on the outside, but needs remodeling or TLC on the inside to get a deal... that way you got the RVIA certification and you can still remodel / outfit it to your liking...

C-cat, unfortunately, that idea is not in my group of options at this point, although yes, it would probably be a bit wiser. The smaller RV's like Tabs, Scamps, Casitas, etc. are wildly expensive, and out of my budget at this point. Further, as they're essentially sticks on wheels, most of them cannot compare to the strength & durabilty of a cargo trailer, which could last decades. Condensing the problem is that I'd be purchasing used, which is pretty much a crapshoot, as in most cases you're buying someone else's headache. For the reasons above (and others), an enclosed trailer really makes the most sense for me.

LoupGarou said:
The lack of an RVIA certification is a dark cloud over Tiny Home, Skoolie and DIY conversions and builds. Sourcing insurance coverage on DIY conversions and builds is problematic. The best you could hope for will probably be just liability coverage.

My advice would to be keep looking for a true RV. When you find one you may need to move fast on the purchase.

https://tinyhousegiantjourney.com/2016/10/19/tiny-house-insurance/

This is my concern regarding campgrounds. Getting turned away based on my trailer or having to deal with getting approved by CG personnel on a case-by-case basis would be extremely stressful, and just isn't a good way to live, as you're essentially at someone else's mercy in terms of where you can set up shop. But as I replied above, a traditional RV isn't in the cards right now.

WanderingRose said:
Having traveled extensively in the US, I can’t recall ever seeing cargo trailers converted to living quarters in traditional RV parks.

State and Federal campgrounds of various sorts are more flexible, but I agree purchasing a traditional RV is much more likely to work for you.

Aside from written rules, such as those listed above, many private campgrounds have signs in their offices stating they have the right to refuse service to any one for any reason.

Having no “right” to access private campgrounds, I envision finding multiple places willing to have you in a cargo trailer being very difficult.

Also, be aware that many campgrounds have metered charges for electricity in high season, that being in addition to your nightly rate.

I agree, and can totally see this being an issue for me, which is why I'm trying to figure all of the logistics out now, prior to making any big steps. Case in point...

I casually called a CG a few weeks ago as I got a tip from someone that they were open yearly & were very cheap, which is exactly what I'm looking for. The woman I spoke to was very nice, but she was peppering me with all types of questions about my "RV". When I explained that my RV would be a converted cargo trailer, she quickly replied that they don't allow them. When I pressed her on why, she then bent a bit and said the owner would have to take a look at it to approve it before the fact.

The CG was out of my price range anyway, but it was still a disheartening experience as I can truly see this happening again down the road.

You would think that with the whole tiny house & van dwelling movement exploding in popularity, that CG's would use a bit more common sense, and relax their rules a bit...especially if it means adding more to their bottom line, but sadly, this doesn't seem to be the case.

I am considering applying to Boondockers Welcome. I had an email exchange with the founders. They require photos to verify the trailer is more than an air mattress with a bucket. Once I outfit my rig I will send them pics.

She did say that she didn't foresee a problem but still wanted pix.

I carry a tent with me as a back up for those CGs that may not like my setup but offer tent camping.

A large part of the issue with private campgrounds is the visual appeal and atmosphere that most want to cultivate and maintain, which has to do largely with other RV’s and what they are interested in tolerating.

The tiny house movement is not so much meant for mobility, traveling the country and staying in campgrounds.

Nice private campgrounds don’t have a problem getting plenty of business, they don’t need to relax their rules, cater to vandwellers or those in other unconventional mobile dwellings. Many RV’ers would also not want to frequent campgrounds where these are allowed and encouraged. This being the clientele private campgrounds cultivate, these opinions matter to them.

If you want to stay in RV parks, your best bet is to have an RV, and it will still not be inexpensive.

You also need a rig for private campgrounds that is well maintained, as older and dilapidated rigs can and will be turned away many places.

We who want to keep costs down stay on the cheap by boondocking and staying in federal sites such as National Forest, National Park, and Corps of Engineer, particularly if you have a Golden Age or other discount pass.

On the last month of a 3 month trip, I can attest to the wide variety of rigs in federal sites in the south, not so much in private campgrounds.

If those are not available or not feasible for you, looking at alternative living situations may be a better option.

Good luck.

Aside from KOA type facilities, which are usually more upscale & expensive (and not the type of CG's I'm considering), I've heard horror stories over the years about many of the seasonals & yearly campers that stay at 2nd & 3rd tier CG's. Everything from full-blown junkies, alcoholics, people with all sorts of mental health issues, etc. Many of which live in dirty, dilapidated RV's. So...

It's surprising that such facilities would look down on cargo trailers, especially newer one's which are outfitted nicely. 

I'm not suggesting that ALL seasonal/yearly campers are like that, but to say that that segment doesn't exist wouldn't be facing reality. Which makes it all the more astounding that these places would rule out potentially better clientele simply based on their rig.

That's like a fast food restaurant letting homeless people congregate in their establishment all day, but then turning away well-groomed, hard-working customers because they might drive a beat up old car. Makes zero sense.

I appreciate your feedback, and my bone of contention lies not with you, but rather, what is obviously a flawed, broken system many CG's have when evaluating a paying customer.

“Aside from KOA type facilities, which are usually more upscale & expensive (and not the type of CG's I'm considering), I've heard horror stories over the years about many of the seasonals & yearly campers that stay at 2nd & 3rd tier CG's. Everything from full-blown junkies, alcoholics, people with all sorts of mental health issues, etc. Many of which live in dirty, dilapidated RV's. So...”

This has not been my experience, tho I’ve come across places with dirty and dilapidated RV’s.

Your average junkie, alcoholic or person with serious mental health issues doesn’t have the available cash to pay for an RV site.

Again, these are RV Parks, which you are proposing to stay in in something other than an RV.

You can always call places and see if they will make an exception for you and your particular outfit.

I beg to differ on the "available cash" point. There are many types I mentioned who receive monthly SS and/or disability checks, etc., who use that to pay for their rent. Now, I'm not saying that that's the norm in these campgrounds or the majority, but that element DOES exist. And a lot of these people live in less than desirable RV set-ups. Further...

I am in no way, shape or form beating up on those who have substance abuse issues, mental handicaps and so forth. They too deserve to live their life and I certainly have empathy for them, however...

To allow that type of patron and then discriminate a more desirable customer based on rig alone is short-sighted & bad business practice, IMO.

Buy some kind of tow vehicle that meets RV standards, used. Tow the CT to the site. Tell them you live in the van/other RV vehicle. Unless you make a big deal out of it that might work.

It likely has also to do with their insurance what kind of mobile dwellings they can allow on their grounds... I stand by my recommendation: if you want to make this lifestyle work reliably with campgrounds because boondocking is not an option in your desired area, I would look again at actual RV options, maybe even ones you hadn’t considered before (including upgrading your tow vehicle so you could get something larger but cheaper than a Casita).

C-Cat said:
It likely has also to do with their insurance what kind of mobile dwellings they can allow on their grounds... I stand by my recommendation: if you want to make this lifestyle work reliably with campgrounds because boondocking is not an option in your desired area, I would look again at actual RV options, maybe even ones you hadn’t considered before (including upgrading your tow vehicle so you could get something larger but cheaper than a Casita).

I'll be speaking with a company soon that sells used TT memberships. I'll try to get the exact 411 from the rep as to what's allowed and what's not. 

Got a PM from another member here that also has a converted trailer and just bought a TT membership too, and this person claims that there's no issues regarding enclosed trailers, which if true, would be fantastic news. 

I'll try to update this thread after I speak with the rep, as this information might help someone else in a similar situation in the future, and could save them a lot of stress.

P.S. - You left coasters have no idea how blessed you are with all of the free camping options that are available out that way. Even the cheapest primitive state parks & reservations here in the NE (especially NJ) are around $25 to $30 per night. Which isn't really doable longterm for those who are on tight budgets.

Living the lifestyle boils down to just one thing and that’s having a safe, secure, affordable and legal place to park up for the night, night after night. Once you get that sorted out the rest is easy.

I agree! There are main 2 obstacles I'm facing...

The first is capping my monthly "rent" expenditure at roughly $300 per month. If I lived out west where there is lots of free BLM land and other options, I'd consider that in a heartbeat. But being that I live in the NJ, those kind of places are far & few between...and again, I have to stay fairly local. I WOULD consider boondocking, but that leads to obstacle number 2...

Which is enduring our wickedly hot & humid summers here. Without an a/c it would be almost impossible for me, and wouldn't really make for a comfortable living situation. Some might be able to rough it, and good for them, but that's the only "luxury" I'm not willing to give up...especially since I'll be full-timing. A solar set-up to run an a/c throughout the day would be very expensive to integrate, and honestly is above my skill level at this point. 

To be honest though, the thought of calling someplace home for a few weeks at a time without the daily stress of finding a place to live my life would be perfection. And being able to plug in would be the cherry on top of the ice cream sundae. That's the appeal of TT for my situation. With the proper planning & scheduling, it is quite possible to full time (with hook-ups) for a couple hundred bucks per month, after buying the membership. Which is why this lifestyle is so appealing to me. Less expenditures = more freedom.