Thousand Trails & Cargo Trailers?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I'll be speaking with a company soon that sells used TT memberships. I'll try to get the exact 411 from the rep as to what's allowed and what's not. "

Keep in mind that the rep doesn't represent TT, the rep represents a reseller, a third party.

The rep's interest is in selling you a TT membership, and that is the end of that relationship.

Like buying a car from a unaffiliated used car lot and you have concerns about the original manufacturer's policies.

OP, Don't take this the wrong way, that is not my intention. You are railing against private businesses operating in the way they see fit. Their business model may not fit your vehicle, rather than get upset, figure out where you do fit and spend your $ there.

Go to a junk yard and grab an RVIA plastic plaque off an old RV and rivet it on making sure it has a nice looking paint job. Be sure you take off the logo from the cargo trailer company or cover over it with your own custom RV company logo. It is not as if they have seen all the brands out there. If they ask just say the company went out of business because not enough people wanted to buy travel trailers without a lot of windows. Stand at the counter or walk around with the credit card in your hand while talking to them or better yet cash....deal done. Money speaks the loudest, especially if you are only there for a few nights.

Really, before laying out your money for a cargo trailer, fixing it up, and a TT membership, at which time that is your dedicated living quarters, since you are confined to a specific geographic area do some boots on the ground research as to whether you are going to be able to find there the hookups you need.

Seriously, call some campgrounds, maybe go in and talk personally with the owners about your plan.

You may even find a camp host position where you can have a specific site in exchange for some light work around the property.

Remember that the final decision will be made by each campground, who don’t have to accept at face value whatever you affix to the outside of your cargo trailer.

There are standards attached to companies obtaining those plaques, and affixing one of them to anything does not make it so.

You might try placing an ad or your local Craigslist. Someone may have a yard spot or a bit of land.

You can get a used RV at very cheap prices that are good. Casitas and that type hold their value so you’d have to find something else. Just like a house or anything if you do the upkeep you should be good

owl said:
OP, Don't take this the wrong way, that is not my intention. You are railing against private businesses operating in the way they see fit. Their business model may not fit your vehicle, rather than get upset, figure out where you do fit and spend your $ there.

I get what you're saying, but I think "railing against" isn't the most appropriate, as, believe me, this stuff isn't keeping me up at night  ;) My whole point is...

I find it funny how quick a CG is to bar someone based on having a non-traditional rig, when many of these same CG's are known for allowing some questionable/unsavory individuals as camp guests.

maki2 said:
Go to a junk yard and grab an RVIA plastic plaque off an old RV.  Be sure you take off the logo from the cargo trailer company or cover over it with your own custom RV company logo. It is not as if they have seen all the brands out there. If they ask just say the company went out of business shortly after they opened because not enough people wanted trailers without a lot of windows.

I like that! I'm keeping ALL options open at this point  ;)

WanderingRose said:
Really, before laying out your money for a cargo trailer, fixing it up, and a TT membership, at which time that is your dedicated living quarters, since you are confined to a specific geographic area do some boots on the ground research as to whether you are going to be able to find there the hookups you need.

Seriously, call some campgrounds, maybe go in and talk personally with the owners about your plan.

You may even find a camp host position where you can have a specific site in exchange for some light work around the property.

Remember that the final decision will be made by each campground, who don’t have to accept at face value whatever you affix to the outside of your cargo trailer.

There are standards attached to companies obtaining those plaques, and affixing one of them to anything does not make it so.

You're exactly right. I may need to find a workaround. And for the record, I don't want anyone to think I'm anti-RV, because that is most certainly not the case. But after I saw Bob W's Youtube video of that white trailer he used to live in, and the reasons he chose it over a conventional RV, a light bulb went off in my head. And then when I started seeing the mods others did on theirs, well, it was off to the races lol.

Unlike Bob however, who lives on BLM land most of the time, I will exclusively be living at CG's, which is obviously a HUGE difference, with its own unique set of circumstances. So, I appreciate your - and everyone else's - concern.

Cammalu said:
You might try placing an ad or your local Craigslist. Someone may have a yard spot or a bit of land.  

You can get a used RV at very cheap prices that are good. Casitas and that type hold their value so you’d have to find something else.  Just like a house or anything if you do the upkeep you should be good

RV's make me nervous. Especially used one's. Much like a used car, too many potential issues. A naked aluminum trailer on the other hand has very little risk aside from maybe a bad weld or two, a cracked trailer, etc., all of which are easy to spot and are quick fixes. Plus they're a LOT cheaper, and will last a LOT longer. The down side of course, as this thread is showing, is that many in the camping community don't recognize them as true RV vehicles, which can lead to a whole host of issues like this one.

I do like your idea about someone having a yard spot or some vacant land. I'll have to give that a try.

TrailerManNJ said:
I get what you're saying, but I think "railing against" isn't the most appropriate, as, believe me, this stuff isn't keeping me up at night  ;) My whole point is...

I find it funny how quick a CG is to bar someone based on having a non-traditional rig, when many of these same CG's are known for allowing some questionable/unsavory individuals as camp guests.

And really, it sounds like you are drawing these conclusions based on what you have heard, not what you have seen and experienced with your own eyes. A word of caution, there.

A campground that would allow “questionable/unsavory individuals” might also allow any kind of vehicle in there as an RV, but would that be a place you would want for an extended stay?

Thousand Trails apparently has a bar, standards they have set, and qualifying Recreational Vehicles is one of those.

You seem to want to avail yourself of TT benefits, without being willing to meet their standards. A square peg trying to go onto a round hole.

A word on someone renting you a yard spot or piece of land, I have seen that discussed many times, and HOA’s and/or local ordinances frequently rule that out in newer areas. Also, the hookups you want and need are not standard for most, but it won’t hurt to place an ad.

Again, you might find something that would trade some work or house sitting for hookups.

I love my rv and like anything else they require maintenance. I don’t think they are made any more badly than a cargo trailer.

OP, it seems you’re obsessed with the cargo trailer because of the durability you’ve read about, which is probably true. But look at it like this: you are stuck in the NE which is not friendly to non-factory type rv’s. Just buy a decent used factory rv to use for a few years and fix whatever small problems arise (all rv’s require regular maintenance/repair). This will allow you to be accepted into most campgrounds. It’s not like this will be your final rig, it’s just a place to live until you’re ready for the next stage of life. You’re making this too hard on yourself obsessing over the cargo trailer conversion. Forget that at this point due to your situation and find a nice used TT.