The camping chuck wagon trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daiki Jin

Reaction score
The girlfriend, our daughter and I are camping almost every other month. Sometimes 3-4 weekend with driving, sometimes actually vacations.

We've always put all the camping gear i in a cargo bag on top of my SUV, tents, chairs, tables, solar panel,duffels, beach/pool/lake toys, camp stove. While in back I have battery pack i made , 12v compressor cooler, tool box with folding with extra rope, stakes, assorted tools etc, 6 totes for dishes, pans, cook utensils and supplies, and pantry goods of food, grill rack for pit just in case, and usually a fire log busted up into pieces to help start campfire which i use as primary cooking.

Last time we talked about getting an awning to put up in front of tent and I'll I'm thinking is more stuff to pack. And if we pick up my son that even more stuff.

So I planned out a trailer in my head on drive home from last trip at beginning of month ( can say chester frost park is beautiful right in middle of lake above Chattanooga).

Think at least 6x8 enclosed cargo trailer modified to have this since we like primitive camping.
**Solar panels and batteries to last a week if not more.... thread discussion here https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/12-or-24-volt.46446/
** Thinking of door of some type on side of trailer that opens to fridge, cubbies to hold food (wildlife proof) and dishes. Maybe a small wash sink either attached to hose if we have water on site or internal water tank( not sure about this one yet)
** Normal side door that opens into space for clothes storage and toys.
** Stable doors instead of ramp( but not a deal breaker) in back for storage of camping gear and tents.
** Awning on side of trailer to pull out while we put tent on back side of it. Think of tent as one wall, trailer at 90⁰ and awning cover ground in front of both.

Used trailer preferred since I'm going to be tearing out inside to cut stuff and run wires and water lines( maybe).

Any tips and advice on trailer size and modifications of outside like cutting opens is appreciated.

Yeah been looking into those also and juggling price of a use one vs even a new trailer...seen same size trailers half that price. And don't mind doing it myself. She wants to help with it so it's something we've done together.

How about a nice teardrop with the galley at the end and a nice place inside to sit and eat or stay out of the rain? They have AC and heat too. It has everything you need for cooking and storage, they're lightweight and not too expensive in the 10 - 12K range new for a basic one. Half that for a used one. They come in larger sizes as well fully enclosed with dinettes and beds. It's what I'm planning to get.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2022-Braxton+Creek-Bushwhacker+10HD-5016437923
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2022-Sunset+Park+Rv-Sunray+109-5008923706
Cheers!

Last edited: