The Strangest Thing

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Petfinders.com has every breed you can name in rescues across the country. If you want a particular breed try them. People dump every type of dog in the streets or in shelters. I have had everything from a childhood cockapoo to an Irish wolfhound to a Cairn to mixed breeds and am now on my third Pit Bull. Fell in love with the breed. Never had a preferred breed till my first Pit. Lucky me, the shelters are full of them. My current Pocket Pit is sleeping on my back as I type this. All 60 lbs of her.

My dream is some land in the county bordering mine which has old stables, barns and dairy farms all of which can be converted to kennels so I can rescue. Only problem is I’m middle aged and if anything happens to me who will care for the dogs?

Lerca,

Yes, once you fall in love with a breed, you are in for it!  I have had (in this order) a collie, german shepard, collie sheps (they got together), doberman, lab, schnauzers, Yorkie, and this is my third shihtzu.  Family members have had border collies, aussies, red heelers, poodles, chihuahua, dachsund, bassett hounds, and a mutt or two. Good gried!  I never listed them before...

Before getting this one, I decided no more pets for the very reason you state, who would take care of it when I die?  A dear friend who is an animal lover and much younger than I, promised she would take my dog if I die first.  That removed the last excuse.

I think your idea of a rescue farm is very cool!  That would be a great place to be, surrounded by dogs.  I met a lady musher in Canada who had 12 Siberians and her barn design was amazing!  And brilliant for the purpose.  It wouldn't work for some breeds but for them it was perfect.

Meanwhile, my LG is perfect for me at this time of my life.  Whoever trained him did a great job as he is obedient  and fun!  He loves to run and is very fast.  He picks up his toy and stands there and stares at me and dares me to join in fetch.  I will stand in the middle of my small back yard, clap my hands, and he takes off running, around and round the apple tree, zips past me like a streak, makes a U-turn and zips past me again in the other direction.  He slips and slides in the leaves in the turns but never loses his footing.  We had a foot of snow fall last week and he plowed through it without a thought.  He stays very near me at all times, watching and listening for direction,  and I haven't seen any separation anxiety.  I am considering taking private lessons from a dog trainer and setting up a mini agility course.  The reason he is so good is because someone much better than I trained him.  I gotta get better at this.  Or at least as good as him, lol.

He came to me by whatever power.  If I had heard this story from someone else, I would  have poo-poohed it and thought it silly.  Life is funny.  Just when you think you know anything, it slaps you in the face and like Schultzie on Hogan's Heroes, it says you "know nothing, nothing!"  Sometimes I look at him and ask him, "why are you here?  What am I supposed to learn from you?"  This one is different than all the others I have had .  He has yet to answer.

Oh Stargazer, I believe in intuition, precognition, precognitive dreams. All of it, because I have experienced it. For some special reason you were meant to be this dog’s human. I’m glad you listened and trusted your abilities which are a gift. Often information we need and might ignore comes to us in dreams. So I believe something wonderful is headed your way. Like you I had a lifetime of dogs and loved them all but Sam taught me about love. Even at my age I learned so much from him and he came into my life when I most needed this special love. I know you will treasure your special time together. Take tons of pictures. I have so many of Sam and they are my deepest comfort. Enjoy this beautiful dog! So glad for you both.

Fire: your story made me cry. I had a similar experience. No money and no way to take care of a dog. 10 months healed from cancer. Then a voice told me to go to the computer and look at the local shelter dogs. I NEVER do that ever. Too upsetting. I looked at the big dogs. That’s what I wanted since they are the least adopted. Nothing. The voice told me to check the medium sized dogs. And there he was. My Sam. He had been turned in that afternoon and been posted minutes before. He weighed 30 lbs just bone and fur. (80 lbs when he died) I went to the shelter the next morning when it opened and put my name for him. I went every day to feed him for 9 days so he could get out. He ended up being the dog of my heart. I have never loved anything or anyone like him. Somehow I was able to take care of all his medical issues. I don’t follow a particular religion but I do believe. So I loved your story. And Star. Sometimes wonderful things happen.

My dog is 15 in June... I can’t even think about the day of that will come at some point.

I’ve always had a dog... but I really think my Scoot will be my last.

LERCA,

Sam...what a wonderful time you had wirh him.

JeanInaBox...Scoot!  Love the name and the vid that plays in my head along with it, lol!  It was almost a year ago that my Kirby left  me.  Hardest time in my life.  Which is why I waited so long, it just didn't seem right.  But Little Guy is a rip!  He is so funny.

Now and then, though, he seems depressed??  A friend suggested he may be used to having other dogs around and that feels correct.  Omg, I can't imagine having a second one at this time in my life.  I'm saying no to that, but it's a soft no.  Will just wait and see.

Dogs  and cats can go through mourning periods, sometimes very extended ones. Your new dog might have been attached to another dog, a cat or a human and is really missing them.

When my workshop mate got a new puppy a few years back the puppy was very sad and missing mom and siblings. So I went to the thrift store and got him some big, soft and fluffy stuffed animals. They became his "puppy pack"  he could sleep with, lounge around against and play games with. They were all bigger than he was.  So you might try giving your new dog a big artificial soft pal to cuddle with. Teddy bears work with children, it comforts them at night and during the day. It might be just what your new dog needs in his life.

Here is a photo of the standard poodle puppy with his new litter mates I adopted for him, a giant soft, floppy bunny and a stuffed pony.  You can see how much he loved hanging out with them in a big puppy pile. They live on a lovely sailboat, as can seen by the design of the teak floor as well as the teak walls.
brio pals.jpg

Attachments

• brio pals.jpg
    brio pals.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 5
They do mourn. Not just about animals. They miss people that were in their lives on a daily basis, too.

Latest posts