The Strangest Thing

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stargazer

Reaction score
So...  I have been looking for a dog to be a companion since I lost my furry Shihtzu friend last year.  So far, no luck.  I am choosy as to breed and you just don't see those breeds in shelters.

A week or so ago, I was startled awake by a "dream", just as I was drifting off to sleep a vivid full color picture flashed into my mind of a two toned shihtzu standing at the end of my sidewalk looking towards the front door.  It was so vivid, I jumped out of bed, threw on my robe, grabbed my flashlight and went out looking for it.  No dog.  That picture has stayed with me all week.  It was just so disconcerting, so very real.

Today, on a lark, I stopped into the local animal shelter and there was THE dog!!  I was stunned (still am)!  He was found as a stray, obviously somebody's pet as he had been well cared for, nails clipped, neutered, dental work done, sweet and friendly.  I spent about thirty minutes with him and am on the list to either foster or adopt.  The shelter will wait another week and has advertised him as found before adopting him out so as to give his owner a chance to claim him, IMO the right thing to do.  I dare not hope and am fearful of speculation.

I am torn between hoping his family finds him and hoping they don't.  If they do, I will be happy for them both.  If they don't, I claim dibs!

Very cool... there must be a God watching over you and that dog, speaking to you through your dreams... I hope this works out for you.

I had a similar dream about a woman but I am still looking;) just joking - I am not looking:)

Not sure about the God thing. But if that's true, good.

Rose, thank you.

Nature lover, ROFL!

Hope you are #1 on the adopt list. Weird Dream vs premonition? You sound like the best owner for the Shihtzu (except maybe?? the original owner-- if it had escaped from their home or something).

Good luck. T

If not this one then find one just like it. Seems like it is meant for you. I've been against getting a dog, but lately I've been so tempted...

As well cared for as he is, I suspect he escaped? No collar or tag and tomorrow I'm going to stop in and see if he has been scanned for a microchip. I was so stunned that I didn't think to ask. It is also possible that a visitor to this area lost him. Or ??? I do know that if my little dog was lost, I would be beside myself. This is not a breed that can take care of itself in a rural area like this in a mountain community. Predators abound here and it is truly winter with snow and cold.

I have a friend who lives near where he was found and she is going to talk to her neighbors about him. Maybe someone will step up with info.

Wherever this leads, that is where I will go.

It is all just so strange because I am a show-me-the-proof kind of person. But when I rounded the corner and saw him in the dog run, I felt like I had been struck by lightning. *shiver* I cannot ignore this. That is what makes this so strange to me. Coincidence? A message or precognition? Hrumph.

Whatever, maybe we will soon be companions. Won't know for a week or so.

Wow! I’ve had some dreams that came true but that gave me the shivers.

Sometimes dogs get loose or become lost, but they also are abandoned.

Owners who are involuntarily separated from their pets look for them, in my opinion.

They make phone calls, put ads in papers, etc., which owners who abandon do not.

My dog is a foundling, abandoned at a state park 9+ years ago.

GypsyJan said:
I wonder if the dog had a similar dream.

Hmmm... curious idea.

I went over there this afternoon and took him for a walk.  He is good on leash.  He is relaxed when I hold him in my arms on his back and rub his tummy.  He is a good dog.

They scanned for microchip, none found.  They have posted on FB and I did a search on CL.  Nothing so far.  They have placed an ad in the local weekly paper which comes out next Wed.  I also asked them if it is ok if I contact vets in this area because his right eye has been surgically removed and a vet may remember that.  I took pictures of him and Monday will start making the rounds.

Seems a lot of people want him.  I will go over every day and spend time with him, walks etc, in the hopes that they will see I am serious about this and let me have him.

Aren't most Shihtzu two toned? It would be more unusual to see a solid one wouldn't it?

Screenshot_20200222-092330_Samsung Internet.jpg

This is the little guy, in need of a groom but that's not surprising.

Maki2, I think so.  I have seen all kinds of colors.  One of mine was all white with just a touch of blonde on her ears;  the other was black on white.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200222-092330_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200222-092330_Samsung Internet.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 16
He has a sweet face, a prerequisite.

I would visit and offer to walk him daily, as showing your interest and establishing a relationship should give you an edge to adoption if there is no owner found.

Update:

Guess who came for dinner?  Yesterday, when I went for my daily visit to the shelter, I ended up signing a foster agreement and bringing him home.  The shelter ad is in today's weekly paper and if  he is unclaimed by the end of this week, he is mine!

The shelter microchipped and vaccinated him and he has been lethargic and not eating much at all, not his usual wiggly happy guy.  So many changes.  He has stayed close to me and is very well behaved, knows stay, come, walk, outside, go pee, no accidents inside. Although I think his lethargy is shot related, I will take him to vet for labs in case he has a chronic condition that may have required meds that he hasn't received for at least a week.

Anyway, I have possession, 9/10's mine, lol.

Wonderful news!!!

It may be from his shots, and/or he may be lethargic due to depression and trauma from whatever caused him to be left alone.

Shelters are inherently very noisy places, too, with lots of distressed and anxious dogs.

Consistent care and love will likely do wonders for him.

Unless the shelter requires it, I wouldn’t take him back in there as he may fear being left again.

There are those who believe dogs don’t have these kinds of feelings, but don’t believe it.

My two cents, for what it’s worth.

Keep us posted, please.

Good news - praying he will stay where he is very loved and wanted.

The lethargy might also be from the lack of stimulation. Perhaps he likes being around a pack of other dogs and enjoys lots of people being around giving him attention. Maybe he will need another canine pack member in the household.

Latest posts