The Strangest Thing

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maki2:  I thought of that, too.  He was lethargic that morning before we left the shelter, not much interested in the walk, much slower, didn't want to play.  He diidn't eat or drink much until noon today, still quieter but more interested in surroundings.

I wouldn't be a bit surprized if he is depressed.  Poor Lil Guy has had a rough week.  I am little by little trying to de-mat him, hate to clip him because it is cold here.  He tolerates it pretty well.  

Vet tomorrow and if weather holds, a walk in the park.

Such good news. He needs time to process all the changes recently. I love a happy ending!

If you love a Happy Ending, read on.

I had been looking for a dog for months.  Gave up on shelters, was working with a breeder of Havanese.  The first litter all died, the second large litter was all male and I wanted a female so decided to wait a few months for a different litter.  I had that "dream" and accidently saw this little guy at the local shelter, the dog in my dream.  Today, the actual adoption happened and now I am his official human.

I left the shelter, went to the City Hall and got his license.  Then to the vet.  I had her run labs and do a thorough check.  He is healthy and in good shape, has a yeast infection in his ears which I have dealt with in my other shihtzus.  They also were able to make him his own ID tag with our names and my phone number.

He is so well behaved, sweet and cuddly, no barking (yet), and today he showed me he knows about doggie doors which I have kept closed in order to keep a close eye on him.  He is a good dog.  Since I have called him Little Guy since we first met, that is his name.

I do not believe a god takes care of things nor do I think I am deserving of special consideration in The Grand Scheme of Things.  But all the things that had to happen for us to find each other, I have to wonder.  I did nothing to make this happen.  I just kept following the path that opened, a path of least resistance, and here we are.

A friend told me that if I truly wanted something, to put the thought "out there" and it would somehow happen.  I admit thinking that seemed a little New Age-y. So now I confess that crow doesn't taste too bad with a little ketchup on it.

Little Guy is perking right up and eating well.  I was gonna name him Patch because of his missing eye and also because he has patched a hole in my heart.  But he is my little guy so that is it. 

Thank you all for bearing with me through this wonderful time and sharing my happy ending, although it is really a happy beginning.  And...btw...I now have a crate secured to the floor just behind the front seats in my mini van.  Trial run today and he did great.  Loves to go for a ride.  HA!

Putting the thought out there means that you have made your mind up to start taking actions.....such as going to the animal shelter and looking for a dog versus sitting on the couch and thinking you might want a dog....someday.

The "new age" crowd is not thinking anything new. Mostly they are just pulling in concepts from other cultures that have been around for centuries.

Just had to say how wonderful that you and the little guy are able to be together - such a beautiful and special story chock full of warm fuzzies that touched my doggy-loving heart! Sure sounds like it was meant to be.

Thank you so much for sharing your story with us and keeping us up to date. I know we were all hopeful for him to be placed in your loving care - very happy he is truly home now. Wishing you lots of great moments with your precious pup.

Happy Tails!!

P.S. We sure wouldn't mind a few more pics!

arhly said:
Telling the shelter folks about the dream might tip the scales in your favor.

This is kind of similar to my experience with my first dog. 

I was all kinds of anxious about getting one, so worried I'd end up with the wrong dog. So I had been looking for a year. Oe afternoon I was sitting around, no intention of dog hunting that day, and a voice in my head said, "Go to the shelter. Your dog is there." Without even questioning it I just knew which shelter "the voice" meant. So I went there. They were closed. I banged on the door and said, "You don't understand! A voice told me my dog was here!" So they opened the door and let me in.  There he was. I looked at him, he looked at me, and I said, "That's him!" 

The lady looked puzzled. She said, "He's been here a month. What took you so long to come looking for him? How long ago did you lose him?" I had to explain to her that I didn't mean he was my LOST dog, I meant he was the dog I was going to ADOPT. Se said, "I would have never let you in if I knew that's what you meant!" Still... they let me adopt him. :)

Congrats to you and your new baby!

So glad your got your pup. It was meant to be!!! I’ve been waiting for a dog for about six years I think.

HDR - when are you getting a dog?

Firebuild: I love your story!

Poor Little Guy has had a difficult week, but he is definitely coming around. Today, I had to go out and left him home alone, uncrated... When I walked in, he was beside himself with joy, running around in circles and you could see him full of joy. We went out in the back yard and played chase and later, he found his new toy and was running around playing with it. He has come alive, is eating well, is keeping my lap warm. When I talk to him, he cocks his little head to the side like he understands. OMG! He is fast becoming the love of my life!

I will post pics after his spa treatment.

Yeah, HDR, when? There is gorgeous Australian cattle dog here who is looking for a new home...

Star gazer - I am extremely jealous. There is nothing that gives unconditional love than a well cared for K9. Reminds me of the way to test who loves you most. Put your spouse and your dog in the trunk of a car and drive for 20 miles. Which one gives you kisses when you open the trunk? I am just kidding of course, I would never put a dog in the trunk of a car. My spouse, that's a different story?????

Lol, nature lover!

So Little Guy is learning the house rules and I am learning his oh-so-subtle dog speak. He doesn't bark! He follows me everywhere and when he needs to go out, he just stands and looks at me, which is what he does all the time so I have to really pay close attention. We're figuring it out. How does one teach a dog to bark? My last girl would go to the door and bark to be let out, then bark to be let back in. I bark at him but my dog speak isn't very good. I have hung a bell on the door and am trying to teach him to ring it to go out. Meanwhile, I just take him out every few hours so it's all good

He loves to play and is so cute and makes me laugh.
Will post a pic next.

Best thing I have done in a long time.

[attachment=25358

Now and then

Have to get the hang of this picture attaching business.

Attachments

• 20200308_061836.jpg
    20200308_061836.jpg
    986.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200308_062331.jpg
    20200308_062331.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
Awww. So nice to see it is all working out for both of you.

Your little guy may have been disciplined for barking, maybe abused, therefore learning not to bark.

I’ve met dogs, as well, who didn’t know how to bark until mine taught them.

My dog gives me “the look” for everything, an occasional whine if I’m not paying attention.

If it’s not time for food or her carrot snack in the afternoon, I tell her it’s not time for whatever, check her water bowl to be sure it is full, ask her if she wants to go outside.

The last one will elicit a wag of her tail, indicating yes.

You and your pup will learn to communicate and understand each other over time.

WR,

Thanks! We are learning, slowly but surely. If I say "Outside?" And he needs to go, he does the wiggle wiggle thing. He also wiggle wiggles at "Ride?", "Walk", "Treat", and "Toy". Getting there. His English is much better than my Dogish. And I think he learns faster.

Heartwarming story.

What a handsome 'little guy' he is!

When I brought my little dog home from the shelter, I remember thinking, 'what a lucky dog she is, that I picked her out of all those other dogs'...

After a few weeks, when all the training was beginning to work, and she began to understand the concept of going outside to do her 'bidness', she began to understand leash training, and many other voice commands, and loved to play ball and fetch, and I was now 'allowing' her to sleep in my bed, and the bonding was at full strength, I realized....*I* am the lucky human to have found this wonderful little dog!

Good luck to you both!

Latest posts